PDA

View Full Version : Requiem for WEG...

Korpil
21 August 2002, 07:30 PM
Out of curiosity I entered today www.westendgames.net and I was greeted by french text and a company named "les Humanoids associes" or something like that...

So then it's done... WEG has ceased to exist... :(

madpoet
21 August 2002, 07:38 PM
Although I have since moved on to the D20 system, WEG still holds a special place in my twisted little gamer heart.

Rest in Peace

dgswensen
21 August 2002, 07:53 PM
Um... nope.

http://www.westendgames.com/

They appear to be alive and well :)

WEG appears to be owned by Humanoids Group, which is, I believe, the web site that is at westendgames.net. Looks like they did some domain switching

Korpil
21 August 2002, 08:02 PM
Doh! Stupid me!

But what happened to the DC license? did that game ever saw the light?

Grimace
21 August 2002, 09:50 PM
Just a bit of info, for those with a large pocketbook and a real interest, WEG is for sale. I got the email on the d6-weg mailing list the other day. Word is, from Nikola Virtis, the whole kit and kaboodle is up, including the rights to the couple of games they currently own.

Not sure if this will effect how they perform in the future...better or worse...but it is slightly disheartening.

So any avid D6 fans out there with lots of money? Heck, if someone here buys it, I'll work for ya...cheap! :D

Superdog
22 August 2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Grimace
Just a bit of info, for those with a large pocketbook and a real interest, WEG is for sale. I got the email on the d6-weg mailing list the other day. Word is, from Nikola Virtis, the whole kit and kaboodle is up, including the rights to the couple of games they currently own.

Not sure if this will effect how they perform in the future...better or worse...but it is slightly disheartening.

So any avid D6 fans out there with lots of money? Heck, if someone here buys it, I'll work for ya...cheap! :D
If it costs around 200$, I'm sold. Otherewise: :( :( :(

Puck
26 August 2002, 04:32 AM
Perhaps we can form a Holonet consortium? ;)

How many members do we have? :D

Darklighter
26 August 2002, 05:58 AM
We have 3039 members, Puck! At $100 a piece we maybe could...

... oh, maybe not. :(

Keaton
14 September 2002, 05:57 AM
A news brief on the site, forgive me if I am behind the times, says that you can pay to use the d6 system.

The is brief is:

Humanoids is pleased to announce the establishment of a "West End Games House Systems" license. Created by popular demand, this license offers fans the opportunity to design and sell their own roleplaying game worlds, adventures, and more using any or all of the West End Games rules sets, including D6 Classic, D6 Legend, MasterBook, Torg, and Shatterzone.

The cost for the license is a minimum of $500 in royalties per year, with the first $500 payable upon signing of the agreement. The license allows the use of any WEG system material, including creation of new rules options. Licensees also get a spot on the West End Games Web site and discounts on West End Games products. The license, however, does not allow the use of any worlds previously published with those game systems.

The first official licensee is Scott Palter, the original founder of West End Games. Palter has created a new company, Final Sword Productions, to produce D6 Classic space opera products. For more information on Final Sword Productions, including planned releases, visit the Web site.

Those interested in obtaining a West End Games House System license or learning more about it should contact Nikola Vrtis. More information about the various house systems can be found in the Systems section of this Web site.

Roleplaying game licenses for West End Games nonlicensed worlds--which include Torg, Shatterzone, and Bloodshadows--are currently being considered. The availability of these licenses will be announced when the details are finalized.

Humanoids is promoting the license and selling related products under the West End Games trademark. The West End Games trademark and properties were formerly owned by D6Legend, Inc., a company formed by Humanoids and the original West End founder in 1999. The trademark and property were later transferred to the parent company, Humanoids, Inc.

Humanoids is a division of The Humanoids Group, with offices in Paris, Brussels, Saigon, Geneva and Los Angeles. The Humanoids Group features subsidiaries that include an internationally renowned graphic novel/comics book publishing house, a 3-D animation and visual effects studio, an animation software development company and an interactive, roleplaying computer game developer.

That was taken word for word from the website. Anyone interested in using the d6 system?

Keaton

Matt Richard
21 September 2002, 05:50 PM
If we could get 100 d6 fans to pitch in and pay five dollars each for the liscense, we could make a 3rd edition of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game (actually I still think wed have to pay Lucas, darnit...). I say we do it.:D

BrianDavion
21 September 2002, 06:14 PM
intresting sounds like WEG is adopting the open lisecne system policy that WOTC uses with D20..

DSettahr
3 October 2002, 01:16 PM
For some reason I seem to recall having seen a rulebook for the DC comics RPG game in a store a few years ago. I'm almost positive about this, but my mind could be making it up...

DSettahr
3 October 2002, 01:18 PM
I just found a character sheet for the DC rpg game on the WEG site. I guess it did see the light after all, and that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me:

http://www.westendgames.com/dcu/dcchar.pdf

Bombaatu
3 October 2002, 11:36 PM
DSettahr: Indeed, your mind was not playing tricks on you. WEG used a modification of its D6 system in DC Universe, a replacement for the old DC Heroes RPG. More information can be found here. (http://www.westendgames.com/dcu/html/indexdcu.html)

I happen to own the game altho I've never played it (and can't locate it at the moment...) .

For my money, I'd have to say that it doesn't quite capture super-heroics all that well. Despite the complication of the system, you CAN NOT do better than HERO System (which just released its 5th Edition, along with Champions, the superhero genre book) for superheroic RP. One *possible* contender to that crown recently came out, tho - Silver Age Sentinals. There are two versions floating around - a D20 version and the original D10 TriStat version.

Moose
16 October 2002, 03:38 PM
So how much are we talking about here to by WEG? Just Curious.

Grimace
16 October 2002, 04:09 PM
Well, I am by no means an expert in the field, but I would imagine that you're probably looking at 5 or 6 digits (before the decimal point, that is) in order to purchase WEG. So unless you've got something like that, I think that it'll only be a pipe dream. ;)

Treefrog
28 October 2002, 12:44 PM
God I wish I had won the lottery!!! :D :D :D :D