PDA

View Full Version : Tracking ships

maxkuney
22 August 2002, 07:42 AM
A friend of mine is just starting to GM a Star Wars game, and we ran across a question. Luckily, it isn't a life or death issue yet. ;-)

Can you track a ship once it makes the jump to light speed? Without a tracking device planted on the ship itself, I don't think so.

However, can you examine the exit vector, ion trail, whatever that the ship leaves behind and extrapolate where it was going?

Thanks,

Max

Troy Henist
22 August 2002, 07:58 AM
However, can you examine the exit vector, ion trail, whatever that the ship leaves behind and extrapolate where it was going?

The Empire were trying to do exactly that in ESB, when the Falcon disappeared they tried to calculate where it went from its last known course.

So you can but the chances of acurately predicting the destination is remote.

It is also easy to evade pursuing ships using this method as well. You jump to one system once there you jump to another. So if the pursuing ship get lucky once and predict where you are going, by the time they get there you are long gone, unless of course they have a faster ship than you, then things can get quite messy :D

AxiustheDark
22 August 2002, 09:17 AM
Ships are pretty nigh well impossible to track once they have jumped. But you are right in that highly accurate predications can be made by:
1)Examing the exit vector & velocity
2)The current "safe" space lanes (determine the location of celestial bodies such as planets, suns and black holes)
3)I am pretty sure that the triangulation of this calculation becomes more accurate when you have another ship recording the hyperspace jump as well. And even more accurate with yet another.

I have run into examples in the EU where they were able to predict jumps with a greater than 95% accuracy. That gives a really fast hyperdrive ship time to drop in ahead of the people running away.

A good way to avoid the tracking is to plot a course say, to Coruscant...and drop out of hyper long before you get there so your "ramp up" velocity gives no indication. Then immediately leave. Three part jumps seem to be the most effective in the novels. But...this is not foolproof. The better the Technician calc'ing your jumps, the worse off you are.

If I was chasing you, I might even drop probes out to scan along ALL possible routes and just wait.

Rigo
22 August 2002, 11:50 AM
Other way to find a ship (but you must be GOV or lot of $) when he come to a star systeme he will use is BoSS code(except if he traficat?! it) and the starport send a message via holonet to the tracking ship.
it is like the cookie on your computor 8o THEY KNOW EVERYTING on you!!!!!!!!!

this work only when the ships go to civilised world:?

Wedge in Red2
22 August 2002, 04:34 PM
Hi maxkuney,

Yeah, I had this happen in one of my games too.

As previously mentioned by Troy Henist, this is obviously possible as they tried to do it in ESB.

In terms of mechanics, I let my characters make an Astrogate roll, normally with a difficulty of 30 (or Very Difficult for those playing D6). For every point they miss by, I add an additional system that the ship "could" have gone to. So if they roll a 24, I say "you've got their exit vector, and you've narrowed down their destination to these 6 systems". If they managed to beat the 30 (not likely with my cast of 2nd level characters) then they've got the actual system.

If you've got the Revised Core Rulebook, it's quite easy to use the galaxy map to come up with systems on the same "vector" that they could have headed for.

Of course, my players have to let me know that's what they're trying to do, and normally I make them focus their sensors on the ship to read the vector. That requires a Computer Use roll, although I can't remember the difficulty at the moment (I don't have my RCR with me). Plus, if they're gonna focus their sensors they're blind to just about everything else around them. Just another little hiccup to avoid making it too easy.

Hope that helps,

Jon :)

Durian Keldrona
22 August 2002, 08:47 PM
so has anyone seen stats for the tracker Obi-Wan used on Jango's ship?

Wedge in Red2
22 August 2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Durian Keldrona
so has anyone seen stats for the tracker Obi-Wan used on Jango's ship?

I don't :(. However, I hope it will be covered either in Powers of the Jedi (I heard a rumour there was an equipment section in there) or in the Arms and Equipment guide.

I'd like to see the stats too, I'd be very interested to see how they work it.

Jon

Durian Keldrona
22 August 2002, 09:33 PM
there is something in the Tempest Fued book but it doesnt sound quite right.

Farliner
22 August 2002, 11:38 PM
Recently in one of games we had to follow a dreadnought, which, accordingly to most sources, leave a HUGE ion trail, so with couple good astrogation rolls and good knowledge of nearby star systems we were able to pinpoint it's jumps, and shadow it (we were using a transport class ship), so I would say, that there ought to be a fairly good chance of following vig ships, while smaller ships (transport ad fighter sized) are way harder to track, especialy, since those who tend to be followed often change courses, making several jumps in different directions before heading in the right one.

loudanddeep
24 August 2002, 02:34 PM
First of all, unless there is a tracker on the ship, you cannot track it.

As to the second question, can you guess what are the closest systems? I would say yes...

But after that, it gets a little complicated.

This could get into a long discussion about just what are the trade routes, can you get anywhere to anywhere in one jump, is there a limit to how far you can jump, and can you make signifigant course changes while in hyper....

I have worked out some of this for my game, as my players travel a lot.
Believe it or not, the answers to these questions have a big impact on the society, and in military strategy.

Of course, that is only if you care, and want to play the game to that level of detail.

By the way, even if you narrow it down to about a possible 1degree or so, that could be about 100,000 million stars. Space is big, really big.

(our milky way has over 100 billion stars in it). The senate had over 1 million member worlds, and there were hundreds of non members worlds for every 1.

peace

dave

Durian Keldrona
25 August 2002, 02:32 AM
and of course even if you get the exact trajectory how long did the ship go for? did they stay in for 6 hours or 3 days? you pretty much need a tracker. Tempest fued has a kind of tracker in it which i am sure is how all trackers work. but it is not the tracker obi-wan used.

Wedge in Red2
25 August 2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by loudanddeep
First of all, unless there is a tracker on the ship, you cannot track it.

Okay, do you have some evidence to back up this claim, or a source where you got this from? So far we have had people quoting the following from ESB:

PIETT: Lord Vader, our ships have completed their scan of the area and
found nothing. If the Millennium Falcon went into light-speed, it'll
be on the other side of the galaxy by now.

VADER: Alert all commands. Calculate every possible destination along
their last know trajectory.

PIETT: Yes, my lord. We'll find them.

While not specifically tracking (i.e. following a trail left by the ship), you can estimate where it has gone by it's last known tragectory. So perhaps I would agree that you can't "track", but you can "guess".

I agree with what Durian Keldrona said.
For example, in the game I mentioned in my earlier post, the PC's got 6 systems on the vector where the ship could have gone. 4 of them were relatively nearby, while the other 2 were on the other side of the galaxy, but just happened to be along that vector.

Jon

loudanddeep
25 August 2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2

Okay, do you have some evidence to back up this claim, or a source where you got this from? So far we have had people quoting the following from ESB:

Hmmmm....yes, let me explain better.
By tracking I meant follow a ship which has some how gone into hyper, by virtue of detecting it, or some signs of it (a signal, a hyper wave, a tracking device, etc.).

This is different from figureing out where it is going to, and trying to go to the same place.

While not specifically tracking (i.e. following a trail left by the ship), you can estimate where it has gone by it's last known tragectory. So perhaps I would agree that you can't "track", but you can "guess".

I agree with what Durian Keldrona said.
For example, in the game I mentioned in my earlier post, the PC's got 6 systems on the vector where the ship could have gone. 4 of them were relatively nearby, while the other 2 were on the other side of the galaxy, but just happened to be along that vector.

Jon [/B]

Yes, I agree with you, while you might not be able to TRACK and FOLLOW A HYPER TRAIL you can guess where it is going.

The big problem I was trying to point out is that depending on how you say hyperlanes (the routes between systems) work, there could be MILLIONS of systems along the vector. Just in the Naboo sector (chommel sector, actually) there are over 30,000 inhabited systems, and 300,000,000 stars. (source is the lucasfilm holonot site).

dp

Wedge in Red2
25 August 2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by loudanddeep

Hmmmm....yes, let me explain better.
By tracking I meant follow a ship which has some how gone into hyper, by virtue of detecting it, or some signs of it (a signal, a hyper wave, a tracking device, etc.).

This is different from figureing out where it is going to, and trying to go to the same place.

Right, I see what you're saying, yeah I agree. There is no "sure fire way" unless you have a tracking beacon on them. You can make a guess, a pretty good guess, but it's still a guess.

Jon