PDA

View Full Version : Unifying vs living force?

DrFiendish
22 August 2002, 08:44 AM
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Unifying Force and the Living Force? Are there any game ramifications/benefits depending on a character's beleif? I think I have a vague idea, but I'm not too sure and my player's have been on my case about it.

Thanks
Darth Fiendish

AxiustheDark
22 August 2002, 09:32 AM
In simple game mechanics (d20): Jedi Couselors are more involved with the unifying force, while Jedi Guardians are involved with the living force.

The living force anchors the Jedi in the "here and now" of the star wars universe. It is what Qui-Gon told Obi Wan to pay attention to in Ep I when he said "...not at the expense of the moment..."
The unifying force binds all living things, even past and future. Harken back to Obi Wan, "But Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future...."
That quote, when put together, is a decent example of the difference between the two from a canon source.

Without the books in front of me, I think it is Chap 7 of the RCR (Maybe the Yoda page in the Rebellion Era Sourcebook) which states that Yoda's usual method of teaching is to see which aspect of the force a student is more in tune with, and then guide him to his proper path. (I.E Counselor or Guardian, depending on the case)

So htis doesn't get too long and go on forever, I will stop there. But if you want more information on the force and training methods...See "The Force" chapter in the Revised Core Rulebook, which is a very good basic explanation of rudimentary Jedi stuff. Also see the new Power of the Jedi sourcebook, another great source.

Nova Spice
22 August 2002, 02:31 PM
The Living Force and the Unifying Force represent two aspects I suppose of the Force itself. Here's my take on the situation.

The Living Force: This is the belief that the present and the events taking place at the moment are of far more importance than that of the past or future events. A Jedi who focuses on the Living Force is one that is more than likely susceptible to allowing his emotions to control him/her. A Jedi who focuses on the Living Force is one who takes action first and worries about the conseqences later. Examples of these Jedi in the films are as follows: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi (in Episode I), and Anakin Skywalker (Episode II).

The Unifying Force: This is the belief that the events of the past and the future are one and the same; that the past and future paint the "big picture" for the galaxy. A Jedi who focuses on the Unifying Force is one who has learned to control his own emotions rather than vice-versa. A Jedi who focuses on the Unifying Force is one who worries about the consquences first and takes action later. Examples of these Jedi in the films are as follows: Yoda, Mace Windu, and Luke Skywalker (Episode VI).

Now, a Jedi who focuses on the Living Force is not always rash, don't get me wrong, but he believes that actions speak louder than words so to speak. This is my personal take on it, so take this with a grain of salt. :D :p

Corr Terek
22 August 2002, 06:00 PM
I would say that the Living Force is what guides a character, nudges them when they need hints. Examples would be Jedi visions, dreams, etc.

Unifying Force is the part used in telekinesis and many other Jedi powers, because they harness the part of the Force that binds everything together.

Donovan Morningfire
28 August 2002, 06:16 AM
There's a similar discussion going on over at the WotC SW boards as we speak.

There's been several different schools of thought, ranging from concepts to game mechanics.

My take is pretty close to Nova's.

Those Jedi that are 'tied to' the Living Force are those that focus on the moment, stay rooted in the here and now. They may concern themselves with future and past events, but only in how they relate to present events. They're also more in tune with the sentients around them, and thus more likely to get swept up in events. Qui-Gon is the poster child for the Living Force Jedi, and Anakin (as of Ep2) seems to following this route, though he's taking it to extremes.

Those that are 'strong with' the Unifying Force are more concerned with the big picture. They are the ones who look to understand how all things connect; they see the forest for more than just the trees. To them, past and future are just as imporatant as the present, if not more so. They also spend a lot more time weighing the consequences of their actions and how it will affect others down the line. Yoda is the Unifying Force's biggest advocate, and most of the Jedi Council tend to be of this line of thinking. Young Obi-Wan was more of the Unifying Force school of thought, though he probably paid more attention to the moment than your average UF advocate.

Luke might also fall into the camp of Unifying Force at first, since he's always concerned with the repercussions of his actions, especially considering his heritage. I'd surmise that by NJO era, he's struck a balance between the two schools of thought.

In game terms, a Jedi that focuses on Control-based powers could be seen as a Living Force type, as most Control powers are of a 'here-and-now' mindset. A Jedi that focuses on Sense-based powers on the other hand might be more a Unifying Force type, as those powers deal more with the interconnectedness of things, especially where Farseeing is concerned.