PDA

View Full Version : Destinys Way

powalsh
28 August 2002, 07:21 AM
I am sure that I am not the only one who cant wait for the next NJO book to come out, so I thought I would start a forum for some speculation about the next book. When is it going to come out? Who will bein the list of the dramatis persona? What is the state of the New Republic? I have read some different posts about some of these questions, but I am still salavating for more.

Marusame
28 August 2002, 09:04 AM
I believe it comes out in Novemeber.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
28 August 2002, 02:55 PM
I have heard that it's to be released the first of October giving us a little over a month's time to wait.

As for who will be in it - from the past 3 hardcovers you could bet that instead of focusing on a couple of characters like the duologies do it will have appearences by everyone.

Nova Spice
28 August 2002, 04:36 PM
After reading the snippet from Traitor, I bet we can count on the Imperial Remnant finally getting involved. It seems that Captain Dorja's daughter Vana has found herself in the company of Leia and Han, which may make for an interesting read. :D

If I hazarded a guess, I'd say some of the following will be listed in the dramatis personae:

The Jedi:
Luke Skywalker-Jedi Master
Mara Jade Skywalker-Jedi Master
Kyp Durron-Jedi Master, Twin Suns Two
Jaina Solo-Jedi Knight, Twin Suns Leader
Kam Solusar-Jedi Master, Academy Instructor
Corran Horn-Jedi Knight, Rogue Nine
Lowbacca-Jedi Knight
Tenel Ka-Jedi Knight, Queen of Hapes
Alema Rar-Jedi Knight
Tahiri-Jedi Knight
Tesar Sebatyne-Jedi Knight
Saba Sebatyne-Jedi Knight, Wild Knights Leader
Jacen Solo-Jedi Knight
Vergere-Jedi Knight

With the New Republic:
General Garm Bel Iblis-commander of Fleet Group Two
Admiral Ackbar-supreme commander of New Republic Armed Forces
Admiral Traest Kre'fey-commander of Fleet Group One
General Wedge Antilles-commander of Fleet Group Three
General Etahn A'baht-New Republic High Command
General Sien Sovv-New Republic High Command Supreme Commander
Colonel Gavin Darklighter-Rogue Leader
Captain Kral Nevil-Rogue Two
Major Alinn Varth-Rogue Three
Major Inyri Forge-Rogue Five
Colonel Jag Fel-Twin Suns Three
Captain Garik "the Face" Loran-Wraith Leader
Leia Organa Solo-former New Republic Chief of State
Han Solo-captain of the Millennium Falcon
Lando Calrissian-merchant
Pwoe-New Republic Advisory Council
R2-D2-astromech droid
C-3PO-protocol droid

With the Imperial Remnant:
Admiral Gilad Pellaeon-Imperial Remnant Supreme Commander
Ephin Sarretti-moff
Vana Dorja-Remnant Intelligence commander

With the Yuuzhan Vong:
Tsavong Lah-warmaster
Harrar-high priest
Nen Yim-heretical shaper
Shimrra-supreme overlord
Ch'gang Hool-master shaper
Nom Anor-executor
Nas Choka-supreme commander

As far as the state of the New Republic, I'd say in Desiny's Way, it is in its final stages of its death throes....

Anyway, the above list is simply a guess at best. Perhaps a certain Mandalorian armored bounty hunter will finally appear?? :D

powalsh
29 August 2002, 07:51 AM
I would love to see Boba Fett make an appearance in the NJO, collecting bounties on Collaboraters. Now that would be funny and entertaining reading. Thanks for the heavy duty list Nova Spice. I really hope they have a sit down discussion of the state of the New Republic. Every NJO book seems to deal yet another crippling blow, and I am interested to hear some exact numbers in terms of preparedness and a more detailed account of systems still under complete control. Some of the books talk about the YV using planets and systems in ellaborate feints, such as Arkania. I want to know if places like Arkania, and Kasshyk are still safe or if they are currently occupied. The impression that I get from the book is that in a lot of cases the YV just pass through these systems littering them with Dovin Basil mines that interfere with system traffic.
In addition from what I understand the next book will deal with Mon Calamari. If that is so then do you think that the planet is still experiancing tectonic distress from the effects of the World Devastators. That could make for some interesting strategy sessions. Aso, I undertsand that Space is multidimensinoal, but on the galaxy map it seems as though Mon Cal is not far from the YV initial attack vector. In fact Mon Cal would be situated in what you might call their flank. Taking all these things into account it might not be the wisest move to put the provincial government on Mon Cal. I dont know Im just rambling here but what do you all think?

Nova Spice
29 August 2002, 02:47 PM
Yeah I noticed Mon Calamari's location as well, and after careful thought, it may not be a bad idea to move the provincial capital to the watery world. Though it is on the flank of Vong space, the Imperial Remnant is also on the other flank, with the Corporate Sector on the flank of the Vector Prime entrance. In essence, the citizens of the galaxy could actually have a three-sided flank against the Vong. What irony that would be! :D

And with the return of Ackbar, that old strategist might put this to good use. ;)

I can't wait for Destiny's Way! :p

Tramp
5 September 2002, 01:59 PM
I see "Destiney's Way" being the turning point in the war against the Yuuzhan Vong. I'm pretty sure you're going to see the heroes start gaining ground against them. Remember, this is going to be the fourth hard-cover in the series, there is only one more HC to go after this. That means that they'll be starting to push towards the climax now.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
5 September 2002, 06:14 PM
If that's not metagame thinking I don't know what is.

Although what if they mean to have the good guys lose? It wouldn't be the first time (just not on this scale). But I know that I'd keep reading just to see what a fight Luke and everyone else put's up. The only thing that would be worse then them losing would be the tide turning in the last 5 pages of the last book without any good reason behind it.

Nova Spice
5 September 2002, 07:06 PM
The only thing that would be worse then them losing would be the tide turning in the last 5 pages of the last book without any good reason behind it.

Agreed, I personally hope that if the New Republic is going to make a comeback, they need to struggle for the rest of the series in some serious head-to-head fighting. When I say fighting, I mean grid-iron, world-to-world, system-to-system slobber-knocking! :D

And personally, I've said all along since Star by Star, that I don't see how the New Republic is going to win. With only one major shipyard remaining and nearly half the galaxy (including Coruscant) in enemy hands, the New Republic fleets are overwhelmed and outgunned.

Destiny's Way may have some surprises for us, but I'd be seriously shocked if the New Republic gained a lot of ground. 8o