PDA

View Full Version : Eu Novels?

Wedge in Red2
2 September 2002, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me a complete list of the EU Novels that occur after RotJ in chronological order. I read the thread "NJO Books" which mentioned some of the novels, but I have no idea what order they occur in.

I've only read the early ones, but I think it goes (at the beginning):

Truce at Bakura
The Courtship of Princess Leia
The Thrawn Trilogy
The Jedi Academy Trilogy
Rogue Squadron

I could easily be wrong on that, though :).

If anyone could help me out, that would be great. I'm running a campaign in the New Republic Era, and I want to read the books so I can find out what is happening in the Universe at the time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon

Zanus
2 September 2002, 03:17 PM
Truce at Bakura (taking place immediately after RotJ, but you knew that ;) )
The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy
Rogue Squadron books start not to long after this and continue for some time with a few breaks here and there.
Courteship of Princess Leia (a couple X-wing books take place immediately before hand and help expand on Courteships back story)
Thrawn Trilogy
I'jedi and the Jedi Academy Trilogy (I, Jedi is highly recommended!!!)
Children of the Jedi (Blah)
Darksaber (Jury is out on this one. If you don't mind the superweapon of the week club, then this book is ok, especially if you ignore Durga's part in the book)
Planet of Twilight (this isn't all that good)
The Crystal Star (double blah)
Black Fleet crisis (Jury is out on this one too, I liked it cause it had a semi-realistic war going on, but the writing style had much to be desired)
The New Rebellion (I didn't like it, but others did)
Corellian Trilogy (At first I kinda liked it, then I didn't. It doesn't really seem to fit into the rest of the time line anyway, except for mentions in the NJO books)
Hand of Thrawn Duology (Freakin Sweet! very recommended!)

Also do not forget shadows of the Empire between ESB and RotJ. And there is the Han Solo trilogy starting 22 years before, and going right up to ANH, with acouple breaks for some of the old Han Solo comics (Han Solo and the CSA, I believe)

sorry if the comments where unwelcome. You can see a complete list in the front of all NJO books (at least all the ones I have seen, which is quite a few thus far)

Deck
2 September 2002, 04:13 PM
Here are two links, both dealing with book lists. The first leads to the Ultimate Timeline over at TheForce.Net. There you can chose the EU sections and will get the chronological order of all books, comics and other printed media. You will also get the exat dates when every book took place.

<a href="http://www.theforce.net/timeline/" target=_blank>The Ultimate Timeline</a>

The second link is the general book list at TFN. Here you see the novels in chronological order.

<a href="http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/novels_chrono.shtml" target=_blank>Book List</a>

Wedge in Red2
2 September 2002, 06:49 PM
Thanks both you guys :). This tells me exactly what I need to know, namely, that I need to re-read the rogue squadron books (I only got as far as #4 the first time) and read I, Jedi.

Cheers,

Jon

Zanus
2 September 2002, 07:21 PM
Glad to be of help :)

wolverine
3 September 2002, 03:18 AM
Too all, for note. As per amazon, force heretic 1 and 2 are out Feb and April 2003 respectively. At this early point, there is no 'blurb' on them.

wolverine
19 October 2002, 01:45 PM
Has anyone got any info on what the last book of the series will be? Al lthe lists i have end with the third force heretic:reunion? I was wondering if there was going t obe a last hard cover....

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
19 October 2002, 01:54 PM
I have heard that there will be one more paperback (author unknown) after the Force Heretic Trilogy then the last Handcover which might be called The Unifying Force. I know that it will be written by James Luceno.

Wedge in Red2
29 November 2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Zanus
Black Fleet crisis (Jury is out on this one too, I liked it cause it had a semi-realistic war going on, but the writing style had much to be desired)

Hmmm. Well, I thought I'd resurect this thread (although perhaps I should start another one) to give my feedback, given I've just started reading the Black Fleet Crisis.

I'm about 120 pages into the first book, and I don't really like it. It's just my opinion (:)) so don't shoot me. But the reasons are (in no particular order):

1) Character dialogue is not particularly "Star Wars-ie". Particularly Leia, I found it difficult to imagine her saying that stuff. Maybe it's because she's worn down by the role of President, but her dialogue is very flat. My resounding memories of her from the movies she had a lot of impassioned dialogue and was a bit of a firebrand. I'm not getting that from the novel. This carries over to other characters too.

2) The Luke thread. For one, the authors view of Jedi seems to deviate significantly from other novels. Luke seems a lot more "neutral" in alignment than "good", if that makes any sense. And some of the stuff he does just seems very close to the Dark Side. There's one passage there when it says something along the lines of "he let his fear build, then channeled it"...surely that's drawing on the dark side? And he uses Force Flight (very Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon like) on Yavin, at a time when Luke had (again, IMO) started using a lot less physical manifestations of the Force. It just seemed...strange.

There are other reasons, but those two will do for now. It just seemed to me that this was not the Star Wars that I had come to know and love.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Jon

Nova Spice
3 December 2002, 05:04 PM
I have heard that there will be one more paperback (author unknown) after the Force Heretic Trilogy then the last Handcover which might be called The Unifying Force. I know that it will be written by James Luceno.

Figured I'd let you guys know that a few weeks ago on www.theforce.net a report was made that the unknown book (a paperback set before the last hardcover) has been revealed.

So here are the last books:

-Force Heretic I: Remnant
-Force Heretic II: Refugee
-Force Heretic III: Reunion
-The Final Prophecy (by Greg Keyes)
-The Unifying Force (by James Luceno)

I'm excited about the last leg of this series! Too bad the next novel doesn't hit stores until February.

Tramp
25 December 2005, 10:13 PM
It should be noted that Zanus left out several books from the list: the 14 Young Jedi Knights books and the 6 Junior Jedi Knights books are not on that list and should be.

darth_phobeius
29 December 2005, 09:10 PM
There is a lot of information that is relevant to the current Legacy of the Force series that is in those books because those were the stories of the new main character's lives growing up.

Garan
6 January 2006, 12:39 AM
Though you can easily get on without them as the NJO is nice enough to refresh the important parts about the chars, miho.

Tramp
6 January 2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Garan
Though you can easily get on without them as the NJO is nice enough to refresh the important parts about the chars, miho.

I disagree. The YJK and JJK books are vital to even understanding parts of the NJO, including the relationship between Anakin and Tahiri; and,during the DN trilogy, truely understanding the strong connection between Jacen and Tenel Ka. People who havenít read the YJK books donít get how Jacen and Tenel Ka could have always loved each other when the NJO doesnít deal that much with their relationship. To really see how their romance developed, you need to read the YJK books.

PsychoInfiltrator
28 February 2006, 04:44 PM

The YJK and JJK books are vital to even understanding parts of the NJO, including the relationship between Anakin and Tahiri; and,during the DN trilogy, truely understanding the strong connection between Jacen and Tenel Ka. People who havenít read the YJK books donít get how Jacen and Tenel Ka could have always loved each other when the NJO doesnít deal that much with their relationship. To really see how their romance developed, you need to read the YJK books.

Refrsh, not discover for the first time.

Stratos
27 September 2006, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Tramp
The YJK and JJK books are vital to even understanding parts of the NJO, including the relationship between Anakin and Tahiri; and,during the DN trilogy, truely understanding the strong connection between Jacen and Tenel Ka. People who havenít read the YJK books donít get how Jacen and Tenel Ka could have always loved each other when the NJO doesnít deal that much with their relationship. To really see how their romance developed, you need to read the YJK books.

Right! And they were decent stories too. I'm curious to see how life treats Jacen and Tenel Ka now that they have a child!

Darth_Xanthor
27 September 2006, 08:24 AM
The only downfal about them YJK, (and it not as bad this time due to the second writer) is that KJA is involved.

HOWEVER.....It does introduce so many of my favorite Characters.

Anja Gallandro
Lowbacca
Ailyn Vel (kinda)
Jacen/Jaina (the first to really give them personalities...kinda)
and one of my altime favs
TENAL KA!!!!

Stratos
27 September 2006, 09:00 AM
It's a shame more people don't like KJA. Afterall he gave us most of the foundation the EU is built on today. I truly believe that without him no KOTOR or TOTJ would exist not to mention most of the heroes and villians of the NJO.

- Stratos

Tramp
27 September 2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by baileyrecords

Right! And they were decent stories too. I'm curious to see how life treats Jacen and Tenel Ka now that they have a child!

You would have to read the Dark Nest trilogy and the new Legacy of the Force novels to find out. As it stands, most people donít yet know that Jacen is a father. He and Tenel Ka have kept his being the father of her child secret in order to protect the baby from the Hapan Nobility who would unite to destroy her if they knew he was the father. And, whith what is going on in the Legacy series, It is going to be very interesting indeed.

Darth_Xanthor
27 September 2006, 09:36 AM
Don't get me wrong, I respect the way that he set up the foundation of the EU, but the stories he wrote around his foudnation building kinda sucked.

I like the JA trillogy because it introduced a bunch of charcters i liked, but the overall story sucked.

In the JA trillogy he had a big habbit of trying to 1 up George Lucas

George builds a weapon that can blow up a planet
KJA build a indestructable ship with a weapon that can destroy stars

GL creates the chosen one and his son
KJA creates some random kid who has more power then luke

Kyp goes evil, kill thousands, han shows up say Kyp! stop! and he just does and nothing else happens. Kyp doesn't get punished etc etc

Alot of what KJA anderson wrote just seemed......lack luster.

But i have to agree with him, the ToTJ and KOTOR wouldn't exist, and neither would alot of stuff like Tenel Ka, lowbacca, etc

So when it comes right down to it....he's alot like george lucas

I hate his writting, but I love some of his ideas.

Stratos
27 September 2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Xanthor
So when it comes right down to it....he's alot like george lucas

I hate his writting, but I love some of his ideas.

I agree with this.

Darth_Xanthor
27 September 2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you