PDA

View Full Version : I think I smell a Rat

Zanus
2 September 2002, 03:31 PM
Ok, after my last post about telling people why you might be giving someone a bad rating, I was happy to see a few good ratings, but then I seemed to get another bad one out of nowhere. I checked who voted, then checked the profile of the person I didn't recognize so that I could send the person a PM inquiring about the bad vote. While in the profile, I noticed that the person had been around since January, but had only posted 16 times. I checked the profile of one of the people that got me on the way to doing my previous post, and I noticed that he had only posted 11 times since April.

I am left wondering if these people had an honest grievence against me or if they are simply trying to stir up trouble. If the former, please tell me what it is. If the latter, I am sorry you think you have to do that here.

For the sake of properness I am not gonna say who these two are here, as I don't want to see any mud flying for no real reason.

Krad-edis
2 September 2002, 04:37 PM
I know that you can check to see who voted for you, but are you checking to see who rated you down? If so, how are you doing this? I really would like to see who has had a beef with my opinions and ask them why. Disagreeing with an opinion is one thing. Punishing someone for not sharing one with you is another, and a little uncalled for if you ask me.

OverLord
2 September 2002, 04:44 PM
It is just to know who has voted for you, and when you get a new vote you can just see who is new on the list, if you went up in rating they voted more then you average, if you went down they voted less then your average.

dgswensen
2 September 2002, 06:29 PM
It's possible someone thought you were trolling for good votes by complaining about your bad ones, and thus voted you down out of spite, or in protest, rather than saying so on the boards. It may not be a personal grievance at all, just a vote based on principal, or... well, who knows.

An unfortunate side effect of a voting system is that people will abuse it, or vote for poor reasons. Honestly, don't get too worked up over it -- I did, once, and it didn't do me any good (except for a user rating so high I feel it's kind of embarrassing and out of proportion with my actual worth to Holonet :))

(And don't look at me, I voted you up!)

Zanus
2 September 2002, 07:13 PM
lol, I do appreciate the vote, dgswensen, and I can honestly say that I was not trying to troll for good votes. That was one of the things I was alittle worried about when starting the previous thread and this thread.

I am not overly worried about this. I just felt I should voice my concern over so many 'coincedinces.' I am sorry if this makes me seem like a complainer or a troller. That was not my intent.

Zanus
2 September 2002, 07:35 PM
Ok, I was going through the posts and I found a thread where one of the people that I was previously wondering about. I now have an idea about one of the votes, but the funny thing was I was more or less agreeing with the person, so I am still confused as to the vote. I dunno, maybe it was a 3 or 4 vote that brought the average down.

Anyway, this thread isn't as 'bad' an indication about anything, but it does raise a question for me. In the grand scheme of things, though, I guess it doesn't matter as much.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
2 September 2002, 08:04 PM
Just don't worry about it. I personally don't care what my rating is, and I don't rate other people because I dislike the whole idea of it. It's no big whoop, though I might be able to see if somebody got upset at what they deemed to be a sympathy thread.

Armage Bedar
5 September 2002, 02:35 PM
Keep in mind a "3" or "4" rating is average and above average, respectively, which are certainly not bad at all. Not everyone can be above average, and average on the HoloNet is quite good, IMO :-)

Zanus
6 September 2002, 08:37 AM
lol, I know, I wasn't trying to say they where bad. My point was that maybe a decent vote was lowering the average, thus making me think I got a not so good vote. But, it is done over with (I think anyway)