PDA

View Full Version : Running "Tempest"- Advice?

LiquidSaber
8 September 2002, 12:20 PM
Heya folks, I had a player of mine pitch in and buy the Tempest Fued adventure and my group has agreed they'd lke to play. I've taken a glance at the book, skimming the fist 3 episodes and the Appendix section with all the stats. Anyhow I was hoping to find some GMs have run "Tempest" and might be able to lend some of their words of wisdom concerning the adventure & their player's experience.

One thing I noticed is that "Tempest" came out before the RCR so are there any little errors I should be mindful of? I've already found that the Force Adepts in the adventure have +1d4 force weapon which should read +1d8. Beyond that though I haven't found much (stun dmg, no DR, but that's it).

Any advice though for running the adventure? Advice running some of the scenes IYO better? Some of the GM characters?

Just as extra bit here's a brief list of the PCs that will be romping through the adventure (Rebellion Era):

Scoundrel 2/JG 5/ Soldier 2- A human, born on Coruscant, an aspiring Weapon Master who has built his own double-bladed lightsaber. Plays his Jedi well, but an obvious melee fighter.

Scoundrel 1/Soldier 6/Bounty Hunter 2- A tough Rodian bounty hunter gunman. Guns, guns, guns.

Expert2/Tech Spec 7- A young human female cybrog with a cybernetic brain (little to no memory, piece-meal). An escaped experiment from coruscant cyberneticists. A surgeon & tech.

Tech Spec 5/Soldier 4- A Kel Dor outlaw tech & demolitions expert. An excaped "ex-employee" for the crimelord Heebo The Hutt (young off-spring of the Hutt Elder, Sorrat The Hut). Also the pilot for their ship "The Lucky Skifter".

NPCs include: (1) "Trinary"-an independent slicer droid who considers the PCs "not-stupids" and has been partial to their company for many adventures as they are "fun". (2) An excitable & worrisome sluissi mechanic and co-pilot.

Kas'ir Faywind
8 September 2002, 01:40 PM
Well base the major battles on how well the manage the smaller ones. If they rip thru some droids earlier it might be best to add some at the end fight or places leading up to it. But with your characters it could be very interesting if you can manage them to get split up near the end of act two, the space transport scene with mika. Espeacially if the two fighters get seperated form the two Techs :). Just have them fall down the shaft and the other two escape on the ship.

I played Mika more absent-minded then anything and sometimes just stupid. It really made everyone think of him as the innocent child :) Having Popara as more of the Gentle Father figure let them trust the other hutts more as well.

It might work better if you could intertwine some reacurring NPC's form your campaign into this quest and/or have some of these NPC's intertwine once your done. When i ran it my players got split up at act 2 those who got on the ship got it's engines on fire then it was sent into a building, they ended up losing all their money that was on a droid they failed to get off intime before the ship dislodged and landed thru all the streets below. It really gave a sense of desperation that was needed in act 2.

LiquidSaber
8 September 2002, 06:27 PM
Thanks Kas'ir Faywind I added the spoiler warning to the Thread title but not sure if it worked...:( , my bad.

But with your characters it could be very interesting if you can manage them to get split up near the end of act two

Hey I'll keep that in mind when running them through the end of Act One, it would really make them sweat having the party (built the way it is) split up that way (especially the techs...;))

played Mika more absent-minded then anything and sometimes just stupid. It really made everyone think of him as the innocent child Having Popara as more of the Gentle Father figure let them trust the other hutts more as well.

Good advice there Kas'ir, thanks!

As for the sense of desperation/tense action in Act 2 I'll look into ways I can do this. I have a couple of recurring NPCs to draw upon, especially with the Kel Dor and his past connection with another Hutt (though I don't want to mix things up too much, but a chance meeting of the Hutt on a palanquin would be hilarious!)

Thanks again for the advice!

Nova Spice
8 September 2002, 07:25 PM
My PCs and I have played Tempest Feud as well and I think I can give you a few pointers:

-Make sure Popara comes off as a real nice Hutt. His death is something that should really hurt the heroes.
-Play the Twi'lek Utrila Sisters as mysterious aides that have an aura of secrecy about them. This really helps with Act III and the final battle scene.
-Some of the battle scenes take place without a map, so it might be a good idea to incorporate a few hand-made mini-maps for your PCs. It seemed to help our group.
-When Popara dies and the PCs are forced to escape the tower, make this one of the most compelling scenes in the adventure as they flee in all directions. Three of my PCs jumped out of the windows and managed to land relatively unharmed on a ledge, while the fourth PC was actually captured and imprisoned by Zonnos. Don't be afraid to have the PCs running all through the hundreds of floors in the tower, it can be really fun and interesting.
-The biggest thing of all is to make sure the PCs understand the danger of tempest. Live the spice up and by that I mean, have the stuff showing up everywhere, have news reporters showing stories of a "mysterious" new substance in Hutt Space, and perhaps even have one of your NPCs become addicted (like the Sluissi).

And of course have fun! The adventure is great and it should entertain your group for a while to come! I hope that helps in some way. ;)