PDA

View Full Version : New Capital World for the NR?

ranix65
8 September 2002, 01:03 PM
What would you make the new capital of the NR if the YV could be driven out? My campaign is going in the NJO era, and the players are hellbent on getting rid of the YV, but with Coruscant terraformed, what would be a good world for the New Republic to base themselves off of, after the YV are gone?

allstar6767
8 September 2002, 02:58 PM
In all honesty, i think the next choice would be something Mid Rim, either something with a big city already, or something they could start a new with, Correlia wouldn't be a bad choice...

Kanner Ra'an
8 September 2002, 04:16 PM
According to the destinys way preview, the new capital is Mon Calamari

Zanus
8 September 2002, 04:19 PM
I don't think the Corellians would like the NR parking their cut-throats..er...Politicians in their space. That whole "We want to be independant, and think we have the power for it with centerpoint station, even though it doesn't work right now" thing.

I think they might go back to Coroscant, but do things "properly" this time. I will admit I have not gotten that far in the NJO yet (still waiting on Star by Star in Paper Back) but I am sure the world is still usable, it would just take time to re-establish 'proper' civilization on the world. But I could very easily be wrong, since, again, I haven't gotten that far in the series.

Chandrila might also be a good place, assuming it hasn't been overrun yet. But I am betting Borsk (assuming he is still alive) will try to stear to Bothan space.

Calamari might be cool too.

Nova Spice
8 September 2002, 05:47 PM
I think they might go back to Coroscant, but do things "properly" this time. I will admit I have not gotten that far in the NJO yet (still waiting on Star by Star in Paper Back) but I am sure the world is still usable, it would just take time to re-establish 'proper' civilization on the world. But I could very easily be wrong, since, again, I haven't gotten that far in the series.

Heh, I wouldn't count on it Zanus, but I'll let you get to that on your own. I don't see how you can wait for Star by Star in paperback; I guess you are far more disciplined than I am when it comes to patience. I don't care about the extra cash for the hardcovers, I just need to read the next book ASAP! Good for you for being patient and disciplined. ;)

As far as the next capital, Mon Calamari has been practically confirmed as the capital in the upcoming novel Destiny's Way. If I were the Chief of State then I'd look at worlds such as Naboo (assuming it doesn't get vaped in Episode III). And I believe Chandrila isn't really an option. It hasn't been mentioned as being under Vong occupation, but Chandrila is along the Perlemian Trade Route and we all know that section of space didn't fare too well. :D

fury
11 September 2002, 07:52 AM
Paperback?

Gah, find a decent library. Haunt the local used bookstores in your area. There are ways not to pay list price if you can't afford it.

I have been pretty fortunate at scouting out copies for interested friends of mine looking to read Star by Star. They are out there if you look hard enough.

strensk
11 October 2002, 06:10 AM
Corellia would be my first choice, however with their wanting their independence it would make for a bad choice.

Commenor wouldn't be a bad choice. If memory serves didn't the Rebellion start there, or have one of their first bases there?

If that idea doesn't sit well, I say totally redo Coruscant from scratch. It would be a monumental undertaking, but it would be a good way to sybolically show rebirth, instead of a return to business as usual.

The NR's first order of business should be to rebuild worlds devastated by the war first though. Put the people they represent ahead of themselves for a change.

Just my two credits.

Otonashi
12 October 2002, 06:26 AM
Personally I would bag the idea of a republic all together. A Confederation of systems would have far more flexibility to handle Galactic threats. If the whole Vong issue hadn't been broken down into comity after comity, the damage they inflicted would probably be far less extensive than it is.
So rather than a Galactic capital world, each system should make preparations to hold sort of a floating seat of power. Have quarterly meetings to discuss galactic matters, hosted by a different system each time. Inter-system matters such as basic trade and the like don't need to be brought to the attention of the Galactic community. Besides with a power structure such as this, it would be far more difficult to strike at "The Heart of The Government"

Nova Spice
12 October 2002, 06:38 PM
Personally I would bag the idea of a republic all together. A Confederation of systems would have far more flexibility to handle Galactic threats. If the whole Vong issue hadn't been broken down into comity after comity, the damage they inflicted would probably be far less extensive than it is.

I don't wanna give away any spoilers from Force Heretic I: Remnant, but let's just say you may have a really good idea about the way things will work in the future. ;)

Personally, I think government should be done away with altogether...perhaps it should be a system of alliances similar to a confederacy, but with more "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" style of alliances.

Anyway, it should be interesting to see how the New Republic government evolves throughout the rest of the series! :D

Tem_Starrunner
21 October 2002, 12:16 PM
I'd place the new capital on a world that was off main hyperspace routes. Some where it would be hard to get a large fleet in to attack (the Maw or Kessel would be good choices.

Of course mobility would also serve well. Placing a small fleet of warship to act as high command main base could give them an increased defensive in addition to be harder to find.

But the choice of Mon Calamari however gives the New Republic one added bones, Ackbar. He's certainly not going to sit back and watching the Vong come in and terraform his world (the Empire has done enough already to it). Borsk's sceaming I wonder.

ElfWord
21 October 2002, 05:04 PM
While at first thought I like your idea of a small fleet of warships Tem, it just has too many problems to be feasible.
1. It lacks the symbolism of a Capitol.
2. Everyone would know where it is located simply because of all the Senators and their aides, etc, etc, plus stops for ship maintenance, etc.
3. It wouldn't be able to communicate during hyperspace jumps, and if it's just moving at sublight speed, it's too easy of a target.
4. It would only have the limited defense of ship shields.

It's a good idea, but there's too many flaws.

Personally, I like the idea of terraforming a previously dead planet. Or maybe rebuilding Caamas. The first would be symbolic of the birth of a new age, the second symbolic of the resurrection of an age of peace and understanding.

Tem_Starrunner
22 October 2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by ElfWord
While at first thought I like your idea of a small fleet of warships Tem, it just has too many problems to be feasible.
1. It lacks the symbolism of a Capitol.

True, but in the middle of a war symbolism should be put aside and the needs for the survival of the government must be thought of first. Realisticly the capital has been taken and the New Republic is experienced in the loss of capitals during the Clone Emperor's return (they lost three, at least, within a year). Planetary capitals are simply targets for power based attack stragedy, kill the head the body withers.

2. Everyone would know where it is located simply because of all the Senators and their aides, etc, etc, plus stops for ship maintenance, etc.[/B]

True and that would be a problem with any base of operation. Incoming and outgoing information/materials must be controlled. Even on the new capital world this would be practiced. Maintenance could be done at a mobile shipdocks. Everything can be done in the depths of space.

3. It wouldn't be able to communicate during hyperspace jumps, and if it's just moving at sublight speed, it's too easy of a target.[/B]

True but if the ships are moving in hyperspace then they have been attacked or moving to a new position. Communication during these times would be unneccesary. As for a target do you really thing a planet sized target is any harder to hit.

4. It would only have the limited defense of ship shields.[/B]

Plantery shields full or partial are an easy giveaway that a planet or part of it is important. Yes, they can take a hell of beating but they eventually fall. A ship can escape an attack a planet can't.

That's my thinking process for a fleet based command/capital.

Elfwood I completely agree with your idea of terraforming Caamas and your thoughts about what that would signfy.

EmprorsHand03
22 October 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Zanus
I don't think the Corellians would like the NR parking their cut-throats..er...Politicians in their space. That whole "We want to be independant, and think we have the power for it with centerpoint station, even though it doesn't work right now" thing.

Chandrila might also be a good place, assuming it hasn't been overrun yet. But I am betting Borsk (assuming he is still alive) will try to stear to Bothan space.

Calamari might be cool too.

Perhaps, you could visit a library and check the books out. I don't know where you live but in MD my public library gets at least two or three copies of every new book in the NJO. I was very surprised.

Back to the source of the thread though. I don't think a capital in Wild Space, let alone a water planet would be suitable to the members of the New Republic government. Corellia is in the Core but as someone already mentioned they have a desire to be independent (Corellians never know what's good for them). I would think that a move to Kuat would probably be in order. It's a major proponent of war materiel and would be well defended in case the Vong decide to pay a visit.

ElfWord
29 October 2002, 07:02 PM
Tem, the government is still going to need a capitol after the war is over too. Better to establish a new capitol during a time of war when things like security and defense receive more thought and energy, than wait until the war is over and build a capitol that isn't ready for the next attack.
Also, even if you were able to control every single bit of outgoing information, you couldn't control all the incoming information. Every planet and NR ship is going to need to contact the government at some point. All the YV would need to do is trace where the message is sent to, and bam, they know where the capitol fleet is.
Any hyperspace trip is going to take some amount of time. The fleet would want to jump a good distance away from their previous position, otherwise it'd be too easy to locate it if someone knew the general location to look. Also, a planet may be much easier to actually hit, but it's much harder to do considerable damage to. Shields aside, an enemy fleet can much more effectively focus all fire on just one ship, destroy it, and have wiped out the Senators and administrators and officers of an entire sector. On a planet, if you destroy a ship sized area, you have a much smaller chance of killing a person of great importance.
As far as shield generators are concerned, the fact that a planet has shield generators alone does not give away the fact that it's important. Most planets in fact have shield generators anyways. And as far as I can tell, the YV do a little reconnassaince of a planet before attacking it anyways. It takes a huge fleet to bring down planetary shields, and the time it takes for anything less to try is time the NR can use to either summon ships to their aid, or devote resources to bringing new shield generators into place.

Thanks for the agreement about the Caamas idea, let me know what you think of my thoughts above.
One other thing though. The name's ElfWord. :D

ElfWord
30 October 2002, 12:16 PM
Another thought is, what about Centerpoint? If it were explored and modernized, it would make a great capitol. It has the power to cut off hyperspace power to the entire Corellian system, a huge bonus for a government that wants protective control over local space.

EmprorsHand03
30 October 2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ElfWord
Another thought is, what about Centerpoint? If it were explored and modernized, it would make a great capitol. It has the power to cut off hyperspace power to the entire Corellian system, a huge bonus for a government that wants protective control over local space.

That's a good idea. It would be the perfect place to defend the heart of the New Republic. However, Centerpoint is old and the Republic doesn't even know how it works still (fully, at least).