PDA

View Full Version : My First Campaign.....Any Suggestions?

Joe_Darksaber
11 September 2002, 06:15 PM
Ok...this is how the story goes so far.....

Near the demise of the Empire, in a remote system named Movis (I created it: 3 systems, few planets with civilization) is a current political war. The Imperials control half of Movis, with two species named the Kori and the Yec, combining forces to create a rebellion from the Imperial takeover. Both sides are purely acting politicaly(Sp?) right now, but the tides of war are rising, and soon armed conflict is destined to break out.

Now, there is more going on than this. As I said, it is nearing the demise of the Empire, so Vong reconnaisance scouts are in larger numbers now, and there is one playing a key role in controlling the outcome of this war in Movis.

The PC (yes, only one PC) is an Ex-Imperial who is working on a mission to Movis, and one NPC is accompanying him. They are in attempt to overthrow Imperial control in Movis, and will eventually go through many perils to accomplish this.

So.......whadd'ya think? Any suggestions would be welcomed with open arms. Thanks everyone!

Sabre
11 September 2002, 08:16 PM
Sounds like you've got a plan already, and from the looks of it, it isn't a bad one. If you've thought ahead already, then you're doing great! Just as long as you keep flexible, your player should have a great time and take care that the focus stays on your player and doesn't drift to your NPCs. When you have only one player, it's especially important to make them feel like the star of the show.

As for story suggestions, if it were me, I'd have the NPC die tragically at some point. For one thing, it shows how dangerous the enemy is. For another, it gives the player some emotional fuel to react with in character.

Have a great game!

DCJester
12 September 2002, 06:01 AM
Wow, this adventure sounds like it would totally rock! It seems you have everything planned out for now, and the major storyline is ready for any nasty surprises that either you or the player would throw into the mix.

Just remember to be flexible. If you player suggests something, listen it out and make a decision after hearing the reasoning. You would be surprised about things some players can come up with off the cuff.

Marusame
12 September 2002, 07:43 AM
Even if said player has in the past insisted on stealing something to sell for a concussion grenade launcher and then proceeds to destroy Mos Eisely Police Speeders with it?

yes I'm speaking from experience. :( :rolleyes:

Evik_Blastrider
12 September 2002, 12:46 PM
The world will always need more GMs. I am glad to here that you have decided to become one of them!

For anyone starting there own campaign, I would reccomend reading all of the Dungeon Craft articles from Dragon Magazine (should be available on the website). Not all of it will apply to building a Star Wars campaign, but it is full of great ideas and general guidlines.

One of the pitfalls a lot of new GMs face is plotting. It is often easy for a GM to write out a plot of campaign based on a story they would like to tell. And you will find that it is easy enough to trick the players into making the right decision to basically see your plot through the way you envisioned it. And may actually be fun for everyone involved. But if you design the setting and the villians and then let the PC enter the situation and really influence the outcome, the experience will be much richer.

But I wouldn't let either of these suggestions stop you from getting started right now. The most important thing to do is sit down and play. That is simply the best way to learn how to run a game - do it!

Since you are running with just one player, you may want to consider how you will bring in a new PC. You never know when that opportunity may arrise, and I don't think you want to accidentally shut that door.

Joe_Darksaber
12 September 2002, 01:31 PM
Hey, thanks for your praise! It really means alot! Oh, and Saber, I was planning to do just that (killing off the NPC). Now, being new, I'm not as flexible as I'd like to be, but I'll allow some. Though most of the time I try to slowly "drag" the PC back into the intended storyline. Does anyone know some easy ways that I could "drag" the PC back to where I want him to be, without screwing everything up? This dragging process need not be a quick shove, but a slow and meaningful one (if ya' know what I mean).

Once again, thanks everyone, and keep the suggestions rolling in!

Hal
12 September 2002, 02:12 PM
I recommend that you check out this article: http://ptgptb.org/0022/theforce.html. It is really useful in establishing the SW feel in any story and deals with limiting of options :).

DirkGreystoke
15 September 2002, 04:23 PM
You have what looks like a great campaign here. Impressive, most impressive. The only thing I can suggest are a few intangibles such as the following....

1. have an imperial spy as one of the NPC's attached to the heroes

2. have a few of the locals be powerful Force users, causing a sub-plot as Luke Skywalker and the Jedi come in to look for new Jedi candidates {this works especially well if you have Jedi character}

3. nobody knows it, but one of the planets is geothermally unstable from centuries of mining and is slowly dying......have the planet explode from natural causes in the final adventure, slowly hinting at it throughout the campaign

4. have one of the Imperials in the remnant be a huge war criminal, such as an officer who murdered thousands of innocents at the Kessel spice mines......but dont let the PC's find this out until after they have volunteered for the mission, have them find a bunch of locals with their throats cut mercilessly and eventually figure it out

5. nobody in the Alliance knew it, but one of the planets have huge rancor / tyrannasaurus like beasts that inhabit it

Good luck and may the Force be with you.

Joe_Darksaber
15 September 2002, 06:22 PM
Hey, thanks DirkGreystoke, I'll take these 5 ideas to heart!

LiquidSaber
16 September 2002, 11:08 AM
You might also look at some of the suggestions in here: http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9381

Sounds like a real neat game you've got going there! I may take a few pointers from the ideas you decide to go with so tell us how it goes! :)

Joe_Darksaber
16 September 2002, 01:56 PM
I sure will! Thanks for the link!