PDA

View Full Version : Online Journal Date

red5_5
13 September 2002, 07:38 AM
When will the Online Journal be premiering on starwars-rpg.net. I want to know because I have been waiting ever since it was anounced that it was comming back.

Thanks

evan hansen
13 September 2002, 09:50 AM
I ask myself that question every time I go to bed at night. ;-)

Well, not really. But I hear ya. I'm contemplating making a submission once it's back up and running. I made one a long time ago when it was active. I've always loved the journal. It's totally one of the best things the SW-RPG online community has ever produced.

red5_5
15 September 2002, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know when it is comming out or is it just whenever it gets done?
:?

Chris Curtis
15 September 2002, 04:32 PM
I've heard rumors that it may be toward the end of this month. But I don't know how reliable those rumors are...

Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long -- I know everyone's anxious to see it come back to life!

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
15 September 2002, 04:51 PM
I just can't wait to hear whatevery one has to say about the 'furry flying friends' that I created for the first re-issue of the SWOJ. I just hope that I was able to capture the true style of Prof. Eliss.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
1 November 2002, 02:29 PM
Any new information on this subject?

Chris Curtis
1 November 2002, 02:55 PM
It's coming along. We're not going to name a date, but the end is finally in sight. One thing I will say is that I don't think anyone will be too disappointed with it -- there's a ton of great content!

Jedi_Shadow
1 November 2002, 11:53 PM
Nice to see it coming back...

Here's a question, though. Will the old Journals be available to see? If not, I'll have to think about revamping and resubmitting some of my old short stories.

evan hansen
2 November 2002, 12:47 PM
With regards to old Journals: That's a good question. It'll depend on several factors, including quality of content, whether we can convert them to be in both systems, how much time is available, and, most importantly, what the new editor wants to do.

In short, we have no idea. But I will echo Chris' statement in that people will be very happy with this final product -- even if everyone has had to wait forever to get it. :D But circumstances have turned around and the folks working on the Journal are cranking it into overtime now. This thing will be nice.

Armadious
2 November 2002, 07:11 PM
There was a lot of great stuff in the older issues, personaly I would like to see them up as is so that I have access to them, and have them updated when people get time later on, rather wait a long time.

On the note of when it is to come out - I did notice that on the SWAG site the anouncement for the art contest winner was to be yesterday, and that art was if I remember correctly, the cover of the new issue. So I was not realy expecting it until sometime later this month.

Arcome
5 November 2002, 05:49 AM
I was wondering what the online journal is. I know you might think I'm retarded because it might just be like what it sounds like. I was wondering what all you mihgt be able to do other than just type down stuff, if that is what you do with it. Sorry to be bothersome. This site just makes me get all excited when I log on.
thanks--Arcome

AxiustheDark
5 November 2002, 07:07 AM
Here is a quick response:
The Online Journal is "a bi-monthly publication where you can find terrific homebrew material for swrpg. it's created entirely from submissions, so send yours in today!"

Check out the Starwars-RPG.net website
HERE (http://starwars-rpg.net/index.html) for a little more info on how to make a submission. Keep an eye out, becuase the new issue is coming soon.

Chris Curtis
5 November 2002, 10:00 AM
Arcome, to expand a little more...

The Online Journal was originally intended to carry on where the old WEG Adventure Journal left off when it stopped publication. WotC then started Gamer which filled much the same role for the d20 system, though it wasn't as large and it also covered other things like card and video games.

The Online Journal basically combines the best of both of these former publications and does so through a community effort. All of the content in the Journal comes from community members. The Journal will also be available in both an online, HTML format as well as a downloadable and printable PDF version.

Ubiqtorate
5 November 2002, 11:32 AM
I agree with everybody... the sooner this can get out, the better. Also, what's up with all of the old journals? It's been a while, but the last time I was here, some serious quality was starting to appear in these journals. 'Twould be a shame to lose all of that.

Also, a note to any administrators - I'd like to help by submitting something. If you're looking for anything in particular, let me know.

--Ubiqtorate

ij thompson
5 November 2002, 05:27 PM
And speaking of submissions, are you guys still in the habit of notifying people if their submissions are accepted? I know you all have a lot on your plates right now, but the site as it is says "Due to the overwhelming response, it may take several days to a week, but you'll hear from us!". But as far as my latest submission goes, we're going on two months now. Can you give us any idea?

AxiustheDark
6 November 2002, 06:58 AM
But as far as my latest submission goes, we're going on two months now. Can you give us any idea?
Of course. First, I'd like to thank everyone who submitted to the Online Journal. It wouldn't be possible without the efforts of the community.

As far as replies to submissions: I just recieved access to the file server, and we are in the middle of shifting things around. Rest assured that getting word out to all of the people who worked at creating a submission is one of my top priorities. Expect to hear something from me around a week from now.

Thanks for all of your patience as I get adjusted. If anyone at all has questions, my email is available through this site.

Talon Razor 'GM'
6 November 2002, 09:59 AM
Are you guys still accepting subbmissions? I am thinking about writting a bunch of mini-series about a Force adept that works for a crime ring, including stats for all of it. What do you need, subbmission wise?

AxiustheDark
6 November 2002, 10:56 AM
Are you guys still accepting subbmissions?
Yes we are. The submission guidelines are located HERE (Are you guys still accepting subbmissions? ) . We will not be using those guidelines in the near future; but for now, that is the way to get your work submitted.

I welcome any and all submissions, and look foward to getting some info. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me or send me an email at the address listed on my profile.

Rouge8
6 November 2002, 06:14 PM
That link doesn't work.

Armadious
6 November 2002, 08:27 PM
Try here

http://www.starwars-rpg.net/journal/submissions.cfm

And congratulations to you Axius, and like I said before: If you need help let me know.

Chris Curtis
7 November 2002, 09:45 AM
Holy Cow!!! Ubiqtorate is alive!!! Man, I haven't seen you around the boards for... wow, probably at least a year or so!

Anyway, I just want to echo Axius a bit: he just came on board as the new "head honcho", so he's definitely still coming to grips with the previous chaos. However, I'd expect him to whip everything into shape fairly quickly and get everything running smoothly.

So, after the new issue goes out soon, you should probably see a much smoother working Journal team.

Jedi_Shadow
7 November 2002, 12:06 PM
Actually, Chris, more like two years... :D

Ubiqtorate
7 November 2002, 12:10 PM
Pretty much... There was a drought there from 12 July 2000 to 5 November 2002. But hey, I'm back! I'm looking forward to contributing, too. There are a lot of other things placing a lot of demands on my time, but I'm going to do what I can.

Ubiqtorate
7 November 2002, 05:19 PM
<font face="Humanst521 Lt BT" color=#006060>A couple of questions regarding Galaxywide NewsNet articles - I noticed on the submission page that "a typical word count would be roughly 200-350 words." Is that considered pretty hard and fast, or would a longer article be accepted (a feature article, for example, rather than just a story in brief)? Also, can NewsNet articles be published with illustrations? And where can I find the guidelines for formatting the information that usually appears at the top of the article?</font>

Chris Curtis
8 November 2002, 06:20 AM
Ubiqtorate: I won't answer in an official capacity, since that's not my place. However, I will give my slant on the issue.

The content length for the NewsNets is relatively fixed. Basically, they're supposed to be like the little 2-3 paragraph sidebar stories you see in newspapers.

You could certainly make a longer article with illustrations, etc. However, I think that would no longer be a "NewsNet" and would rather be a full-blown HoloNet News Article (or whatever).

As for how to format the header information... There used to be a page on the site that dealt with that, but it appears to have been removed with the old issues of the Journal. Hopefully it will be making a return whenever the archives go up.

Ubiqtorate
8 November 2002, 01:28 PM
<font face="Humanst521 Lt BT" color=#006060>Yeah, <b>Chris,</b> that's kind of what I was hoping for. <b>Axius,</b> any info on when we might see the archives back up?</font>

AxiustheDark
8 November 2002, 01:39 PM
Axius, any info on when we might see the archives back up?
Not as yet. But the archives will be coming back. Soon, I hope. *chuckles*

So much to do, so little time.

Ubiqtorate
8 November 2002, 01:44 PM
<font face="Humanst521 Lt BT">Yeah, I hear that... by the way, I don't know who it was that called my habit of sending messages in anything other than the traditional boring black "annoying," but you'll notice I've dropped that and decided to be a little more... conformist.</font>