PDA

View Full Version : SW Player Search Forum?

LiquidSaber
16 September 2002, 12:11 PM
Just thought I'd ask about the Holonet Having a SWRPG player search function. I understand the Trader's Infonet is the place to post such a thread however there are no moderators and I feel that there is a need for an established Format for such posts. It can be confusing to wade through the posts that lack clarity.

I only mentioned because I happened to be recruiting for (local) players a month or so ago and although I found several RPGregistries and finders online, I found that the lack of a "search" ability on the holonet a bit unfortunate as I consider the SWRPGNetwrok THE primier online resource/support for SW RPGers.

Might it be possible to have something like that on the Holonet? Maybe simply just establish a Format in the Trader's Infonet would be great. Though it would be neat to be able to search for geographically near holonetters looking to game!

Heck, if there are large enough numbers we can even begin local "chapters" that get together and game or throw a SWRPGNetwork party :p (hey, it's a good excuse...)

Jim Williams
16 September 2002, 01:49 PM
For my 2cr, sounds like a good idea. SWRPGnetwork parties would be kind of cool. It'd be nice to put faces to names.

Chris Curtis
16 September 2002, 01:52 PM
There was talk in the past of trying to use the "location" field from the user profile to allow searching. That ought to work very well.

However, I know Armage is really busy with school, so I have no idea if/when such a thing would get implemented.

LiquidSaber
16 September 2002, 10:33 PM
Hehe, yeah parties and social activities for a whole bunch of nerds! (I mean c'mon, Star Wars AND computers??:p)

It'd be nice to put faces to names

That it would Jim!

There was talk in the past of trying to use the "location" field from the user profile to allow searching.

Sounds good Chris. I'll cross my fingers then and hope for the best. Though it's perfectly understandable, Armage is plenty busy with other things to be sure.

I was looking a few weeks back for new players but am no longer. I just thought it would be a nice asset to further promote the SW game for all us Holonetters. :)

I STILL think having a SWRPGNetwrok Party would be really, really cool! :D

Darklighter
17 September 2002, 04:33 AM
First off, parties are always good. I'm definitely for it. :D

But on a more serious (sober?) note, I've yet to see anyone from my city on the Holonet. It doesn't mean they aren't there, though. Not everyone visits or uses the Trader's Infonet. I'd like to hook up with a table top playing group again. Right now, all my gaming is done on-line, which offers one sort of experience and fun, but still, there's nothing like getting together.

So you have my vote for the function, LiquidSaber. :)

Master_Jaster
17 September 2002, 06:03 AM
As with Darklighter I too have not found anyone from my town or part of Texas on here. So I am with up too.

scottyboy
17 September 2002, 06:43 AM
I think that sounds like an awesome idea! I've been searching for a group to game with for months, with no luck. And a search engine for such a thing would be an outstanding idea. It would make the process a whole lot easier. The only downfall for such a thing, that I could think of would be... That probably a vast majority of members on this board, already have groups to game with. Therefore, it puts up the question of "would it be worth the time?" Yes, it would be a great asset for those of us that need it. But since the majority of members already have groups, it probably wouldn't be used very often. Don't take me the wrong way, I think that it would be awesome. And I would use it frequently, even if I did have a group. Just to see if there's any "fresh blood" out there. Know what I mean. So, in short, after all this nonsense, I agree! It would be very useful.

LiquidSaber
17 September 2002, 11:02 AM
That probably a vast majority of members on this board, already have groups to game with. Therefore, it puts up the question of "would it be worth the time?" Yes, it would be a great asset for those of us that need it. But since the majority of members already have groups, it probably wouldn't be used very often.

Oh I completely agree with you there scottyboy for some it may be more of a hassle than not. I was thinking this myself. I'm sure the state of flux of a game group happens only some of the time (some groups lasting what? 10 years? :))

My thoughts on the matter revolve about two points. One, those not interested in such a feature would not include their location in their profile. May or may not use the function but not participate as is thier want. So we don't have to worry about such folk.

Two, some individuals may have their locations in thier profile and enjoy the function but just aren't looking right now (honestly, I am always on the lookout so personally I don't relate but I can understand this view point). In this case perhaps an addition of a check mark box in our profile that would mark their profile in the search function as *not interested* or *not looking at the moment, sorry* so they are not inundated with requests to game when they do not desire to receive any. Though, honestly, I do not think this would ever be much of a problem (unless you lived in a huge area, Cali., New York, etc.), for most of us having few people on the Holonet that live near us. But perhaps the function would prove a greater asset as (we all hope I'm sure) the SWRPGNetwork continues to grow. ;)

So, in short, after all this nonsense, I agree! It would be very useful.

*chuckle* you brought up a good point anyhowscottyboy and I'm gald you agree!

scottyboy
17 September 2002, 11:34 AM
Liquid, you put it perfectly! I don't know why but I didn't even think of that... Having an icon where each person could put "interested" or "not interested". That would work out perfectly. I think that this would be a very useful idea. Now all we have to do is figure out how to MAKE some time for someone to do it, right?:D No really, if anyone could talk to "the powers that be", about this, that would be awesome!