PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Living

Wade Trenor
17 September 2002, 04:23 PM
Up until recently in my campaign, the characters have been provided food, accomodation and starship repairs/refueling by the NR military. Long story short, the group was made up of Force Sensitives, and wanted to to make their own way in the galaxy - maybe even be Jedi.

Now that they're on their own, I was wondering what many of you expect an average meal to cost? How much would a reasonable hotel room charge? What are the expenses of keeping a starship docked? Daily? Weekly?

Also, one of the characters in the campaign is trying to become a 'master of disguise'. I was wondering how much a disguise kit would cost. Considering it would have wigs or hair dye, fake warts, moles, different colour contacts for eyes, etc.

BrianDavion
17 September 2002, 04:24 PM
should all be in the book. if not pull numbers out based souly on.. what sounds right.. I hope your PCs have some skills in the profression skill:)

Wade Trenor
17 September 2002, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I've seen the numbers from the books, but wanted to get an idea of how other GMs price things.

The players don't have any ranks in Profession[...], but I have allowed them to use the rules supplied in the 'Death to the Profession' (http://www.wizards.com/starwars/article.asp?x=sw20011011c_profession&c=rpg) article that was up on the Wizards website.

Grimace
17 September 2002, 04:53 PM
Well, it's been over a year now since I've run a Star Wars game, but I'll try to recall what I charged my players for things.

Average "cheap" drink: 2-3 Credits
Average meal (non-dinner): 12-14 Credits
Average Room (1 bed) per night: 30-40 Cr
Nice Hotel Room (1-2 beds) per night: 70-100 Cr
Docking Fee, low quality port: 20-50 Cr
Docking Fee, standard port: 100-500 Cr
Docking Fee, large, high quality port: 1,000+ Cr

As far as a disguise kit goes, I think something with wigs and all that would probably be a fairly expensive item. So I'd slap the price tag around 500 or so credits. Mainly, it depends on how easy or hard you want your players to get a hold of the stuff.

Hope this helps some.

Wade Trenor
17 September 2002, 05:16 PM
Thanks Grimace. One question though. Are those docking fees per day, week or for the duration of the ships docking?

I also see a D6 lover, so what kind of Availability do you think the Disguise Kit will have, especially if it's a high-quality one?

BrianDavion
17 September 2002, 05:42 PM
not coomon by any means yet not uncommon. basicly a "easy eneugh to get.. in a specialty shop"

Grimace
18 September 2002, 07:37 AM
The availability of the kit I'd put around 2 or 3, depending (again) on whether you want your players to get it quickly or not. I figure there'd only be two real reasons to have a high quality disguise kit. One is theater, the other is illegal and would generally be frowned upon.

Generally, for the docking fees, I run it as follows:
The amount listed is the initial amount paid upon docking...simply for the privelage of docking.
Costs for refueling/restocking varies, and I generally put the costs anywhere from 5 Credits per day replenished up to 50 Credits per day.
If a ship wants to stay for more than a day, I will sometimes just multiply the initial docking fee based on the number of days docked. Some of the busier ports may charge a "loitering" fee, as they want people to come and go so as to increase profit. People that sit take up space and the station wants money to offset the lack of trade. So, essentially, a big place may charge 800 Cr to dock, and maybe 1600 Credits for staying two days, but if a ship stays longer, the cost may increase up to 1,000 Credits a day for stays up to a week long, and 1,500 Credits a day for stays longer than a week.

Of course, all of this means you have to give your players enough pay for the things they do to offset these costs, otherwise they'll constantly be visiting the small, backwater ports to keep costs low.

You could also allow big ports with income based on other things besides private shipping, so the docking fees might be quite low (50-100 Credits a day) to allow for random travellers to come and visit. These ports might not have quite the variety of things to purchase, however, so there's goods and bads on those ports. :)

DataEntity2
18 September 2002, 11:29 AM
I pretty much agree with you people, though I charge a little bit higher on most things( 4 crd for a drink,etc.). But everyone has their own prices.