PDA

View Full Version : Normal Wage?

coolcosh
22 September 2002, 03:44 PM
:? :? :? does anybody have any idea of what would be the normal wage for rebellion mercenaries? any help would be appreciated

Zanus
22 September 2002, 04:59 PM
This is a tricky one, since the Alliance didn't have much money to play around with. Not to mention most higher ranking Alliance officers (planetary to sector commanders, and even higher) wouldn't even give mercs a second thought unless they where willing to volunteer their time and energy for the cause. Some might not even do that. Same sort of problem that Privateers had, basically.

Those that could find work with the Alliance would proly have to make some sacrifices as far as pay goes, again, for the cause. They will proly get special deals on equipment and repairs or upgrades to their equipment (barter merc work for engineering work) or for usable or tradeable equipment that the Alliance can spare in the area

Of coarse, not all rebel forces where cash-less. Those near corporations or wealthy worlds might have a fair bit to spare for various reasons. Others might have front companies (like selling rebuilt TIE fighters) that gives them extra cash to play with.

Now to question at hand. Well....I don't know. I think working on a case by case situation might be best, that is how I always did it. And remember, not all Rebel commanders are actually all that nice. The group could find themselves stiffed on a promised payment, and be framed for something they may not have actually done as an out for local Rebel agents. Great way of pissing your players off pretty fast if you like :D

shadow145
22 September 2002, 07:04 PM
Maybe use the profession skill as a base. This came up in another thread somewhere. Try HERE (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9387)

I think the result is 100 creds * the check result per week, so I took an average of 10 and got 1000 creds a week.

Maybe less because it is the rebellion, maybe more because the rebellion is desparate and is willing to pay more.

The rebellion using Mercs isn't unprecedented, Kyle Katarn was originally hired that way (Dark Forces, computer game)

Zanus
22 September 2002, 08:55 PM
I wasn't trying to say Mercs working for the Alliance is unprecidented, heck, Han Solo could be considered as much, I was just saying that they either have to make certain sacrifices or "shop around" before finding an alliance command that is willing to pay.

I thought Kyle Katarn was an Imperial defector brought into the Alliance Intelligence group? "Soldier of the Empire" and all that. That was what I remember, admitedly it has been some time since I have read the book.

shadow145
23 September 2002, 04:40 AM
There was a book?! I'll have to hunt that one down. I was just refering to the cutscenes from the original Dark Forces game. Back before he was using the force, and was just a Duke Nukem type with big guns and a bad attitude.

I was under the impression he was an imperial deserter turned merc, and was one of the rebellion's favorite hires, because of his anti-imperial stance. Of course, I would put the books before the games, so if that's the case I stand corrected.

But he was probably paid by the job, not 1000 creds a week.

wolverine
23 September 2002, 06:10 AM
In the sparks game, everyone gets a flat 100 credits a mission, but there are several missions in which you can earn 'bonuses'. the most is 2500 extra pay.

Any other cash you wish to get, has to be done other means..

Valoy_Muniz
23 September 2002, 09:24 AM
Remeber that most jobs would inclued expensies. For a space job it would inclued fule, repair, cost of missles, docking fees ect. Remeber the missle that may be need for a job cost roughly 1000 per missle. No way would a mec shoot one for a job unles they would get something out of it (or to save his life).

coolcosh
23 September 2002, 01:36 PM
thank you all very much

OrderSponge
23 September 2002, 10:53 PM
It would really, really depend on the kind of job, its duration, and expenses. Obviously, if you factor in hazard pay and combat pay, the price for a job would be higher than baby-sitting. However, if the baby-sitting lasted a long time, then it might fetch higher wages. It all depends on the job.

I would say that a reasonable formula, if you could apply one, would be to make a profession (mercenary) check, multiply it by 100-150 for a wimpy job, 200-300 for a potentially hazardous job, and 400-500 for a job involving assured combat, add in any reasonable expenses (such as missiles and fuel), and there's youre (ideal) number. Some haggling and/or uses of the appraise skill might be necessary to get your final number, but using this formula it would be about 4600 cr to about 7100 cr for a cheap job, and about 10,000 cr to almost 200,000 cr for a pitched combat. You may also want to multiply the number 1.25 or 1.5 times for each additional day or week or even hour, maybe.

This may have been incorrect, but I was figuring for a small mercenary group, say 5-15 people, not a single man or small group of men. You may want to multiply the cost .6 times for each man less than 5 in the group.

That sounds about right. (btw I figured for +10 to profession (mercenary). since i never used it before, I wasn't sure what an 'average' number would be)

I hope this answers your question.

Emperor Xanderich II
26 September 2002, 04:33 AM
In our campaign the characters started of as a bit of a mix. One had been sent by his father to support the Rebel cause and therefore wouldn't need paying. The two others on the other hand were rather different. One was a failed Jedi with nothing in the world who had stumbled onto the Rebellion and the other was an ex-Imp who had botched his defecting job and ended up found by the Rebels who now emplyed him as a Freelance.

Yet the only money the characters have directly received from the Rebellion is a 1000 cred reward for a particular mission. They have, however, aquired most of their fortune from pillage (in a way!) and 'treasure' on adventures.

They are now quite high ranking officers (Lt. Col, Jedi Knight and Commander) and still non of them receive a basic wage. Rather they are provided with what they request for (generally) and little things (food, clothes etc) are ignored for game-play smoothness.

wolverine
26 September 2002, 11:30 AM
When i GM, if the players are Mercs WORKING for the reb's, i give them 200-500 cred a mission, + 20% discount on goods pruchased through the quartermanster (off book price), and 1 free repair (max cost 5000) or upgrade (2500 max) per 3 missions. After that, they get 25% off all other repairs and upgrades.

OrderSponge
26 September 2002, 04:10 PM
Now that I look back on my post, I guess I was writing more about mercenaries working for a 'typical' employer. Working for the rebellion would garner significantly less wages, but might result in more 'plunder'.

Sorry for the confusion.