PDA

View Full Version : Sad GM- cool player leaving.

Reverend Strone
23 September 2002, 11:41 AM
Just thought I'd share as I'm sure this is something all GMs out there have had happen at least once.

A good friend of mine and one of my players is heading abroad for good. It makes me sad on two counts, because I'm bidding adeiu to two good friends when I say fare-thee-well at the airport- both my good friend and her PC.

I know that sounds geeky as heck, but it's true. Since she joined my campaign her character has become a very important part of the flavour of the game, and in a strange way, so familar she now seems like an old friend as well.

Thus it is with much sadness that I will see her go, and her character too, but buoyed with hope for the possibility of a fond reunion one day in the amorphous future.

See you Mary, and Anima too. We wish you all the best for the future and pray fortune, fulfillment and good health smile on you every day, but we'll miss you both.

Mary plays Anima Setaris in Reverend Strone's Fateful Sands campaign. She's the blonde in the bottom right of the campaign poster in the thread below:
http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9217

dgswensen
23 September 2002, 12:16 PM
I am sorry to hear you are losing a player and character. This has happened to me, too. One of the best-loved characters in my fantasy campaign of old had to leave, because his player was moving across country. It altered the plotline forever, and a lot of great stories had to be set aside forever because of it.

We managed to work the player's departure into the game -- so the players got to say goodbye to the player and character at the same time. (This probably sounds quite geeky, too, but it's the truth.)

I did manage to get the player and his character back for a surprise visit, though.

Your story will go on, though. My condolensces to you. Losing friends is always hard.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
23 September 2002, 01:06 PM
Having been an Army brat I completely understand the situation.

One thing that you must always do is carry on fellow Gamers with your rulebooks and dicebags held high!

LiquidSaber
23 September 2002, 03:52 PM
Hear, hear! Well said Frobi!

Indeed, we must always play on! To continue on is to honor those who have passed on...

I just got through losing my second player as he leaves for Japan (my first went to L.A.). Thus breaking up our game group in it's original form. We have however moved on and added two new players (bringing us back up to 4 PCs), so indeed the Game must go on! :)

Nova Spice
23 September 2002, 05:12 PM
Reverend, I completely understand where you're coming from as far as losing a player. In my case however, the player wasn't a good friend like in your case, but nevertheless it wasn't a fun thing to experience.

I know that with an awesome game and group like yours, things will bounce back up! Besides, as Liquid said, the game must go on!

Besides, with such a great friend and a character, she will never truly be gone. I imagine she'll always be there in spirit. I know that sounds corny, but its true. She may not be there physically, but you and your group (as well as the game itself) will never forget her. ;)

Darklighter
5 October 2002, 05:03 PM
Hang in there, Rev. Saying goodbye is always hard, and doubly so when it's someone meaningful. I don't think it's geeky at all that you'll miss the character Mary plays, either. She's clearly a good player who made her character truly 'live' in your imagination. Would you have a chance to try the 'in-game' goodbye dgswenson mentioned? It might help.

Keep gaming, and having fun. Where's Mary off to, by the way? Best of luck to her, and you. :)

Reverend Strone
5 October 2002, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

I think dg's suggestion is a lovely idea, and I'm going to try and implement it, though I suspect there may not be time.

Darklighter I'll pass on your generous best wishes. She and her husband are off to San Francisco to look for new career opportunities. I'm sure they'll do well.

Moose
16 October 2002, 03:57 PM
I can not say that I have lost players, but I myself am a lost player to many groups because I move so often. I still keep in touch with my old groups and whenever I am in town we always get together. I hope that you will have a continued relationships with your lost player.

Moose