PDA

View Full Version : Help

Renz Ward
23 September 2002, 05:30 PM
I currently have only one player in my game. I was wondering if anyone had any player snaring tips.

Also would you reccomend running two campaigns at once, with different players?

evan hansen
23 September 2002, 06:23 PM
Hey! Good questions.

1 - One PC game. Well, first, if you *can't* find any players, you can check out some past threads on this matter, including this onehere (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9623).

Obviously, however, you want to find players! The first thing you can do is post something at a local game shop -- either a sign-up sheet or an "ad" with tear-offs that have your email address on it. I'd recommend the first if you're worried about freaks emailing you. :D Always make sure you including what game you're running, what system (since this is Star Wars either the WEG D6 system or the WotC d20 system...or, possibly, your own system if you're that adventurous), how often you want to play, what days you're thinking of playing (though asking for their availability is a good thing regardless of what days you're planning on -- you can always make adjustments). Basically, think about what you would want to know if you were reading an ad for someone else's game.

You can also poke around in forums like the Trader's Infonet to find players or online games or other information.

2 -As to your other question, I wouldn't recommend anything simply because this depends ENTIRELY on your specific games, players, and styles. We used to run two or three campaigns simultaneously all the time. Mostly in the same group, some outside the group, etc... Some people used the same basic character template in both games, others used wildly different characters, some people who GM'd in one played in the other, etc... We'd even alternate GMs in some campaigns or alternate GMs within a given adventure!

Do whatever makes sense for your situation. If you have a couple people who like to GM and they can't GM in the same campaign (a common problem for obvious reasons), then certainly go ahead and have a couple campaigns running at once.

The advantage you have in the situation you describe here is that you're not talking about having the same players where you can risk getting a group going, "Well, we'd rather play the other guy's campaign tonight." or anything like that. In short: Different campaigns with different players at the same time are manageable as long as you feel you have the energy, time, and creativity to do it.

Best of luck!

Renz Ward
24 September 2002, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the help! I am working on possibilities already.

Marusame
24 September 2002, 06:07 PM
running two campaigns at once?

I laugh in the face of only two.

I currently run one Marvel, one Star Wars, and one Rifts game for one group, two star wars, one d&d, one White Wolf game for another, a homebrew Final Fantasy Sequel game and another White wolf game for a group that combines the original two groups, and another star wars game for a completly different group that has one player from the previous groups. Just depends on the mood and who's there.

FallenAngel
24 September 2002, 06:29 PM
I must concur with my respectable colleague; though it takes time to run more than one campaign at a time, it is great fun. I curenntly run 1 D&D, 1 LOTR, 1 SWRPG, and play in 2 D&D, 2 SWRPG, 1 SWRPG-6, 1 LOTR. its good stuff, but not for those who have lives.

Kas'ir Faywind
24 September 2002, 06:40 PM
BLAH! no wonder it seems my campaign goes faster the a lot of other people i run a SWRPG game and my friend runs a DnD campaign. We meat 1-2 times a week for SW about 5-7 hours at a time and every sunday for DnD for 5-7 hours. Jeebus i already get confused trying to keep track of my player in DnD and SW campaign i can't imagine what it's like for 8+

keyamon
25 September 2002, 05:36 AM
Why don't you try running a game over email or on a forum. then you can advertise for players on boards like this.... I currently run a 3E D&D game on a form and i'm gong to start running a D20 Star Wars game soon... these type of games are alot slower than a normal, but they also allow you to be alot more descriptive as a GM and a player. You also get plenty of time to look up any rules you don't understand with out slowing the game down..

hisham
25 September 2002, 05:50 AM
Once in a while since I first SWRPG GMing, I ran single PC sessions. I discovered that if a single player goes "dungeon crawling" so to speak, that is enter a room, kill guards there, pick up weapons, move on to the next room... it makes for a really boring game for the GM and the PC.

What I did in my later games was beef up the role of the NPCs. The NPCs have, of course, to mean something to the PC. An NPC has to follow the PC in their adventures, building a relationship whether serious or comical. The NPC will help move the story along, for better or for worse.

A plus point is you have to set an arc for the NPCs... for example: game 1 - 3 Starts out as a comic relief; game 4 - 5 Experiences a traumatic experience; game 6 - Causes a problem which the PC must overcome... and so on... until you have a satisfactory ending to this NPC's arc.

Hope this helps.

Cruel_sadistic_gm
3 October 2002, 01:44 PM
Alright as a Gm with 7 players(:D) here's my method: School. Basically, all you have to do is ask around. "Do you like Star Wars" or even better "are you excited about Star Wars Episode 3" work. I've gained the 3 latest additions to my group via this method. Obviously, if this isn't the only method in existence; if you know of anyone who you don't want to go right out and ask, but you have a hunch they'd be good players, talk about all the fun and hilarious things that've happened during your campaign. If my suggestions dont work sorry.