PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of content updates would you prefer?

Moridin
24 September 2002, 03:29 PM
Alright, folks, here it is. Let me know in this poll what kinds of content updates you'd rather see on the site. This will determine how I update the site in the future, so take it seriouly and leave comments here as necessary.

Kas'ir Faywind
24 September 2002, 03:53 PM
I did option 2 for a few reasons. While i love the major updates, kinda like the mini campaigns in Gamer, i need lots of smaller updates to keep my players on their toes.

I also like to see some smaller things that can add up to a big thing. ie. You may not want to do entire new sets of starships but a once a week starship can add up over time then you can slop them all together for an all-in-one pak.

The big updates should be a new concept, like the Jennesari, or a Big new item that can serve as a setting, these planets work out fine. You can even havce it so the smaller updates revolve around the "big" update for the month.

just my 2 creds

Nova Spice
24 September 2002, 04:14 PM
I went with the big updates and small stat updates once or twice a week. I tend to be kind of strange in the fact that I enjoy frequent updates, but not too many. I like being able to come home every now and then and surf on over to the Network and find a new update after a couple of days. I think it has something to do with the idea of being "pleasantly" surprised with something new, while not being exposed to something new everyday. I know, I know, it sounds weird! :p

Anyway, I think something like Eraydia every month (or even every two months) is a great idea. Something of that magnitude (similar to Secrets of Cerea by Darth Bingo ) are very pleasant surprises! However, I do like seeing a few stat updates every week too!

I suppose its hard to find a happy medium, but it can be done. ;)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
24 September 2002, 04:39 PM
I went for the second one since that was very much like how the content updates used to work during the first part of this year - lots of small with big every 2-3 months.

Keep up the excellent work Moridin!

Reverend Strone
24 September 2002, 05:20 PM
My vote went to smaller updates once or twice a week, for much the same reasons as Nova spice. I don't need an update every day, and I think that's a little taxing on the providers, so once or twice a week is cool as far as I'm concerned.

I love big juicy updates that I can sink my teeth in to, and I'm fully aware of how long it takes to do those, so once every month or two is as often as I would ever expect an update of that magnitude. Once a month is optimistic I think. I'd gladly settle for a single big update once every two or three months.

Afterall, it's not just the Network that we can look to for our SWRPG fixes. There's also the regular updates from the Conversions and Submissions, and the constant flow of great ideas and less formal submissions in the Holonet forums. Apparantly there's some company called WOTC who occasionally publish helpful material too.

My point being that while we all appreciate the consistently fantastic updates coming from the SWRPGNetwork, the burden of satiating that demand can be spread around a little. Moridin need not feel he has to bust his gut to give us an update every day or two, and should feel comfortable taking his time to craft fine large-scale products like the Secrets of Eraydia without the pressure of us all breathing down his neck, hungry for our next fix.

Bottom line, we'll take whatever you can give us man, but we'll always be hungry for more.:D

Ash
24 September 2002, 05:27 PM
I have loved everything that has come out of this site but I think one of the issues is that it is hugely overwhelming to put out high quality content that is in incredible demand consistantly. Perhaps look into recruiting people to help with the work load. Appoint people who work on a "Starship of the week", "Equipment of the week", "NPC of the week", "Species of the week" and etcetera to fill the gap for stats and keep the site constantly growing. Perhaps take some of the unpublished Submissions and put them up if they meet the requirements for the week. That'd free you up to create large or small content as you wanted and still get ahead for school and work. Either way its great to see this place grow and I'm looking eagerly to what's coming.

And for content it'd be great to see "Theme Months" every so often like November's the "Imperial Month", June's "Tatooine Month" and base the weekly stats on that.

FallenAngel
24 September 2002, 05:55 PM
I opted for option three... whilst i love the stats, the articles are what really draw me to this site. They are generally masterworks; i have been very impressed by their quality.

SpaceShot
24 September 2002, 08:19 PM
I think I am overwhelmed by the amount of small stat blocks and such on the site. They were coming on a daily basis. I couldn't absorb them fast enough, and when I did want them, I was overwhelmed in searching the site. So instead what I found myself gravitating to the larger articles.

The Net.Guides were quite enjoyable because they served some unique purposes. They provided new ideas for how to use the game mechanics as they relate to a specific subject (lightsabers, slicing, etc.) and added some flavor to a narrow topic.

The guide to Eraydia and the promise of a campaign "sector" is exciting because its always a challenge to create and present fleshed out worlds and environments for the players. Again, my preference would be a focus on how a group might adventure in these worlds (note this is not quite the same as adventure hooks, but those are welcome story starters at times) and fresh approaches to the common themes of Star Wars gaming.

I didn't really miss the daily updates when they disappeared for a short time, but the two recent larger additions have been solid reading, which means they jumpstart my mind and in turn present my players with new challenges.

Finally, let me say that having SWRPGNetwork as an independent "news source" covering the RPG has been welcome. News has been slow and getting slower, but that is not the fault of the reporter. Inside interviews (especially the great audio interviews and audio coverage at GenCon) with the designers are fantastic, because they give me a window into the process the developers go through when they create content for this RPG.

LoneStranger2298
24 September 2002, 08:23 PM
Well I went for option 2 but even then it's not entirely accurate for what I'm lookin for. For the "daily" updates I really don't expect to see something new here everyday especially if the only ones posting are the people running the site. So personally I think the option should read "occasional smaller posts with one big one". In fact that reminds me I got an idea for a blaster I need to write down fully so I can submit it to this site, hopefully I can do that this weekend at the latest.

Later kids

Matt Richard
24 September 2002, 10:14 PM
Well, I voted for option three. If the updates remain consistant with a few stat blocks, with a strong showing of larger articles, the audience will be able to absorb the stats more and maybe appreciate them more.

Moridin, we are all behind whatever decision you decide, because we know that when life comes in, you have to weigh your priorities. Good job with the Network; wonderful "Net State of the Union." :D Too bad we dont have news correspondents who are going to take every word you said and try to find the "deeper or hidden message behind it" :D

Sketchpad
25 September 2002, 05:27 AM
I voted for #2 as well ... I've always enjoyed the content of this site, even in my usual lurker mode ;) In the absence of SWG and the SWAJ, I think that this idea works the best ... between a few stat blocks here and there and then some major articles, perhaps even an e-zine sort of format? Kinda like EN World's "Asgard" e-zine ...

Moridin
25 September 2002, 05:52 AM
Well, there *is* the Online Journal, which is making its return very shortly. That is going to be one great publication.

JediMasterMaya
25 September 2002, 06:46 AM
Well... I did hesitate for a while between 2 and 3, but I voted for 2 in the end. I personally like to come a few times a week to look if I can find stats I might need for my next gaming session... and I always find something I didn't think about using but will after I read about it (Riot control vehicle was one for example... It even gave me an idea for my next mission :D ). I, more than once, spent most of the day skimming through every bit of stat I could get my little hands on, then I went and checked the rest of the site... (thankfully, I got unlimited internet time! Phew!!!) :D

Anyway, I still like the idea of bigger stuff too (I am charging the cerea pdf as I am writing this and I just saved the Eraydia one earlier...) Haven't had time to read it yet, but I scanned through it and all I have to say is WOW! Thanks guys! These are a good addition for sure!). Of course, work like this takes longer to do, so it sounds more reasonnable not to expect it more than once a month (or like some said, even every 2 months).

Thanks Moridin (and Darth Bingo, and everybody else that contributes to make this site so great!). B) Boy, and I thought I was busy! How do you find the time to do all this??

AxiustheDark
25 September 2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Matt Richard
Good job with the Network; wonderful "Net State of the Union." :D Too bad we dont have news correspondents who are going to take every word you said and try to find the "deeper or hidden message behind it" :D

Well, I am currently at work with the article, "Behind the Address: Hidden Secrets of the SWRPGNetwork."

Seriously though, I voted for Option 2. I think part of what makes this site so great is the overwhelming number of easily accesible stats that can apply in anyone's campaign, no matter where/when you are playing in your game.

The larger articles are great and very well written, and worthwhile additions to any gaming library. However, the things I pull out most for use is that stat for "so-and-so," or that article on, for example, Turning People to the Dark Side. It ends up being the little things that just slide right into the gaming session that you will doing that night.

I am also looking foward to the Return (Or for me, the Beginning) of the Online Journal. What a welcome thing such a publication would be.

Thanks guys for all the hard work.

Tossk
25 September 2002, 02:14 PM
I opted for #2 beacause I enjoy having new little stats to fool around with and a sprinkling of big, heavy, and fat supplements to enhance my playing atmoshere. Thanks to all your hard work, and keep on keepin' on, SWRPGNetwork Staff! :D

Reverend Strone
25 September 2002, 02:21 PM
Actually something I'd be really keen to see would be an update of the SWRPGNetwork stat archives to RCRB standard. One or two items updated and revised each week might be quite a good way to kick off the small and frequent updates, and maintain the usability of the archives.

Just a thought.

Nafai
25 September 2002, 07:03 PM
Hm, well I can see I'm the only vote for large weekly updates only. :p

I guess my reasoning is that there's already a slew of general content here--and anything that gets closer to officially published products is a major plus for me. I'm swamped with a million different projects and don't really have time to look at 2 updates a day. One nice sized one per week would about fit my viewing habits.

OTOH, I seriously think that user submissions should be getting more attention. That's a steady flow of content that this site's been without for months. I know that Rigil has been as busy as heck, and then had computer problems...I'm sure there's someone that can step up here until Rigil gets things sorted out? I remember in early August he said he had 40 subs on the burner--there's no doubt 100+ now, and that would translate into more than a few tiny daily updates.

kenobi65
27 September 2002, 09:57 AM
I voted for regular updates, with the occasional larger feature.

For my uses, at least, having a broad range of statted-out ships, critters, etc. is of the most use to me, as those are things I can just drop into my existing campaign as needed.

OTOH, I do enjoy the larger articles -- I think they're the "extra value" that this site delivers, and I wouldn't want to see them go away. They just aren't of such immediate value to me.

JediMasterMaya
1 October 2002, 12:04 AM
ok... sorry guys I messed up! :(

You might want to take out 1 vote from me... for number 2...I actually voted twice! How, you'll ask? Well, hmm... I kept getting that line saying that the board was too busy at the moment and to try again later, so I deleted my cookies (I was told it works sometimes, though I don't know why people with no cookies would be able to get on more than someone with a cookie when the boards are too busy anyway... Been stumped on that one for a while). Anyway, most of the time it works (lately less and less, or is it because I've been writing more and the cookies get too full or something??).

To come back to my votes... I came to check the results this morning and to my surprise, it gave me the poll options again. Out of sheer curiosity, I entered an answer, thinking it wouldn't take it since I had already voted. Only after did I realize that it didn't know who I was and that must be the reason. Sorry, I didn't mean to mess things up. :o

Just thought I'd let you know, in case you can fix it so it's accurate again.

Darth Thor
15 October 2002, 07:48 PM
I myself have voted for option #2... I try to come to the site at least 3 times a day to see if there are any new updates...

Moridin, if its at all possible if you could update the Darth Gadrel Saga to correspond with RCRB, DS Sourcebook, POTJ, etc., etc... and also release them as PDF's? I have all of them, but to have them updated would be great.

What's even more interesting about that saga, is that during my D6 campaign, I proposed that "what-if" Vader didn't prevent Luke from trying to commit sai tok on the Emperor during Episode VI.

ElfWord
30 October 2002, 05:21 AM
I voted for more stat content, with an occasional larger article. Whiile the larger articles are usually helpful and insightful, I don't want to spend all my time reading them, watching SWRPGNetwork turn into a Star Wars roleplaying tips site. I use stats in the game much more often than an article about a single subject. I'd personally like to see more archetypes, and a d20 version of YV ships and equipment, if it's possible without violating WotC copyright.

Tac Morris
3 November 2002, 11:45 PM
I voted for #3 because that seems like the most benefit for the least amount of effort. Larger updates can be posted according to the schedule of the poster, and one or two weekly updates a week seems like a manageable amount.

Eventually, when I get some cash to buy source materials, I want to start submitting campaign worlds like Eraydia, then eventually write adventures. I'd also like to find a regular game in Portland, and get a part-time job at a game store. Dare to dream...

doters
25 November 2002, 04:43 AM
I would be keen on original and illustrated adventure modules posted now and then...maybe the occasional conversion of old d6 ones.

P.S. I am enjoying the reborn SW Journal, keep up the good work!

P.S.S what do I need to know if I want to make a submission for the next one?

Lord Byss
26 November 2002, 04:31 PM
I find it easy to make up stats on the fly, although useful - to me, I would rather have articles detailing locations with maps, campaings etc etc...