PDA

View Full Version : Mon Mothma-Is it true?

Nova Spice
28 September 2002, 09:07 PM
After reading my esteemed friend Dan Kyrinov's character write-up of Bhindi Drayson in the Submissions section, I found that he mentioned her as the daughter of Admiral Hiram Drayson, former aide to the late Mon Mothma.

I haven't asked Dan yet, but when did she die? I was totally unaware of this happening! 8o 8o

Anyone know anything about this?

Ronin
28 September 2002, 10:16 PM
Well, I`ve read all the NJO so far, and yes, she`s dead.

I`m reading "Dark Apprentice" at the moment (the bookstore had nothing better or nothing I haven`t already read ok?! Don`t get at me! ;) ) and she`s just told Leia that she`s dying...
some genetic disease...

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
28 September 2002, 11:33 PM
Here (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/monmothma/eu.html) is the SW Databank entry (Ronin - careful might be a spoiler if you haven't read the Jedi Academy Trilogy before).

Jedi_Staailis
29 September 2002, 06:24 AM
SPOILERS

I remember reading something in the NJO series. I can't give you a page number or book, but I seem to remember it being a combination of old age and the effects of the disease from the Jedi Academy Trilogy. If I recall correctly, it was mentioned only in passing.

Sorry this isn't anything concrete, but I don't have my books with me to check.

Nova Spice
29 September 2002, 07:50 AM
Wow, I can't believe I missed this! Ronin, I read the Jedi Academy Trilogy and I believe Cilghal healed Mon Mothma of the disease.

I can't believe this wasn't mentioned on a higher level in the NJO! I've read every EU book thus far and I have yet to realize she died! Thanks everyone for your responses and for the link Frobi. ;)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
29 September 2002, 09:19 AM
I don't remember Mon Mothma being mentioned in any of the NJO books so until I read them over again or someone gives me a page number I'm going to think that she is still in the background.

BrianDavion
29 September 2002, 09:25 AM
mon mothma didn't die of the disese just of old age

Zanus
29 September 2002, 03:34 PM
I think I could believe her dieing from a combination of old age and the effects of the disease. Just because she was cured of the disease itself doesn't mean that it didn't cuase long term damage to her body. Something that may not be immediatly noticable, but still there.

I haven't read that far in the NJO series (still waiting for paperback of Star by Star) but I think there might have been a mention of Mothma's condition early in the NJO, but not of her death yet. I could very well be wrong on this, since I can't even remember when it might have been mentioned. Sorry for not being of much more help then that.

Kanner Ra'an
29 September 2002, 06:56 PM
according to the new essential guide to characters, mon mothma died in her sleep shortly before vector prime.

Dan Kyrinov
29 September 2002, 07:19 PM
I just want to say this is actually more information that I had when I wrote the capsule for Bhindi Dryason at Submissions. Her death is mentioned in the New Jedi Order series in passing, and like Jedi_Staalis, I can't remember precisely where. I have to expect it's not far from where Bhindi appears in NJO because I wouldn't remember that from as far back as say, Dark Tide. I suspect it was sometime during when the Star Destroyer bearing her name appears.

Sorry to do that, Nova! I felt it warranted a mention, but I have some EU reading gaps and figured I just missed it, and everyone but me knew. (laughs at self) Thanks for the links and info guys, I am glad to know also.

Nova Spice
30 September 2002, 04:39 PM
Sorry to do that, Nova! I felt it warranted a mention, but I have some EU reading gaps and figured I just missed it, and everyone but me knew. (laughs at self) Thanks for the links and info guys, I am glad to know also.

That's okay Dan, I guess I was just thrown for a loop there! I'll check back in Star by Star and Enemy Lines and see if they mention it at any point. Thanks everyone for the responses. Just goes to show you how even major things can be over-looked sometimes! :o

Talonne Hauk
30 September 2002, 07:24 PM
Early on in the NJO, there was a mention of a newly commisioned Star Destroyer, the Mon Mothma. In real life, and in Star Wars, warships are named for people posthumously. That was the only clue I had of Mon Mothma's passing.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
30 September 2002, 07:48 PM
Thought that the Navy had a Ronald Reagan Aircraft Carrier (and I know that he isn't dead) so I checked and here (http://www.reagan.navy.mil/) is a link to the USS Ronald Reagan's official website. Good theory though Talonne.

BrianDavion
30 September 2002, 08:03 PM
well ya but he's got alschizmers.. I mean... reagen might as WELL be dead.

Arakyd
1 October 2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by BrianDavion

That was in very poor taste. Please do not post something like that again.

Arakyd1
Grandson of a women with Alzheimer's disease.

Zanus
1 October 2002, 08:35 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Arakyd, that was in poor taste.

Zanus
Grandson of a Man who had Alzheimer's, God Bless His Soul.

Talonne Hauk
1 October 2002, 02:41 PM
Perhaps that was in poor taste, but it does have a kernel of truth in it. The U.S.S. Ronald Reagan is the exception to the rule, because the man does have Alzheimer's. In general, naming a warship (or an airport)posthumously is the rule.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
1 October 2002, 04:09 PM
Well if Mon Mothma's death isn't mentioned in any other NJO book it is mentioned in DW

Nova Spice
1 October 2002, 04:53 PM

Nova Spice: Grandson of Monroe, alzheimer's patient, former corporal US Army.

Never say that again.......:mad:

BrianDavion
1 October 2002, 08:38 PM
I apoloogize for insulting and mean no offense to anyone who has alzteichmers.

Zanus
1 October 2002, 09:28 PM
BrianDavion, I know it was just a spur of the moment type comment meant in jest, and am not overly insulted by it. The comment just sorta put me off a bit for two reasons, one of which I didn't list because I didn't want to get this thread any more off topic. I do ask that you be careful of what you say in the future. Everyone is entitled to a few mistakes, the real trick is learning from them.

More on topic, I discussed the naming convention with a buddy of mine at work who is prior Navy, and as it turns out the naming ships convention is primarily for the deceased, but there are occasional exceptions, and the Reagen is just such one. As for Mon Mothma being dead, since they haven't bothered to have her do much of an appearance in the NJO, and she is certainly someone who would be keeping track of NR politics and making "helpful suggestions" to particular politicians, and no such mention has been made, I am going to put my vote in that she did pass on. Probably better that way anyway, since in a few older books it seemed like she was a conveniant excuse to have Leia running around the galaxy on some fool adventure.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
1 October 2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Zanus
. . . and no such mention has been made. . .

Destiny's Way pages 196-7