PDA

View Full Version : Absence of Topics

FlipDog 2000
30 September 2002, 06:42 AM
Has anyone noticed that there has been a significant absence of topics. I'm not saying people are posting stupid stuff, just an absence in general. Does everyone just have too much to do with life or is there just nothing to talk about since we exausted episode two to the last drop?

Chris Curtis
30 September 2002, 07:22 AM
The HoloNet has always gone through cycles of low activity. This isn't anything out of the ordinary or anything we haven't seen before. Activity will pick up in a little while.

proxima centauri
30 September 2002, 09:13 AM
School and work has taken over my life ;)

My SW game is on a stand still, but I can't wait 'til the next gaming session.

I believe it must be the same for a lot of holonetters. Let's be patient, my friend! :)

scottyboy
30 September 2002, 09:18 AM
You also have to take into consideration that there were a lot of posts that were for SWAG. Now since they have the site up and it has it's own request forum... that's obviously where all the requests went. But still there has been a shortage even accounting for that.

Wade Trenor
30 September 2002, 04:17 PM
Remember too, that there was a huge number posts made when the d20 Core Rulebook came out, and then again when the Revised Core Rulebook was released. People asking questions about how a certain rule worked, or if bonuses stacked, etc...

Most of these question have been answered, and there is the FAQ that members can download.

It's understandable why there has been a decrease in the number of posts.

Matt Richard
30 September 2002, 06:12 PM
The reason why my face hasnt been around lately (I know youve all missed me:D ) is because I just got a domain name, and am playing around with the site a bit.

Rigil Kent
30 September 2002, 07:06 PM
Work and other elements of RL have dominated my time (as indicated by the lack of updates on Submissions.) To paraphrase Dr. Cox from Scrubs: "Calm down, newbie, it'll be okay." :D

Seriously, Chris is dead-on right. Given how hectic this period is for a lot of people, it only makes sense that fewer people make posts.

On an unrelated note, if you haven't watched Scrubs, you are missing out on one of the funniest shows on.

Armadious
1 October 2002, 01:00 PM
Please note that this contains my opinion not factual data (so take it with several grains of salt).

I have noticed that many of the members who were very frequent posters two to three years ago have sort of faded off (Kayle at one time had the most posts, perhaps he still does, but I see words from him less and less). Part of that is due to RL, the other part may be due to other reasons like lack of inspiration, major write-ups/projects or even lack of a gaming group.

There are several reasons that I do not post as much as I did when I first joined. The first thing is that at that time I did have a slew of stats and ideas that I had not expressed to the holonet yet, so I came to the holonet with new ideas, as I think most of us did at the time. I believe that most of us were veteran D6 RPers such that we had a bunch of ideas that we brought with us. This is something that if someone is new to Star Wars RPG (in either system) or new to Star Wars, he/she will not have the accumulation of ideas/stats that many of us had.

Reasons for me specifically include:

1. Lack of inspiration from:

Movies: The new movies did not truly help at all, they focused more on individual conflicts rather then a galaxy wide conflict. This may change with EP3 (aftermath of or perhaps it will expand the clone wars more), I do not know.

Books: To me NJO is a swear word, so ideas for that era are not forthcoming. (It looks like it will continue that way, Traitor was awful and, from what I have heard, it sequel will be worse.) Prequel era books have not really kindled much interest for me, the stories so far are rather narrow, but more enjoyable the NJO. Not much food for the mind here for me.

RPG – <B>W</B>atchers <B>O</B>f <B>T</B>heir <B>C</B>ash have only put out one original book during its reign (of terror), that being an adventure that I disagreed with several points on (they also put out Gammer which I enjoyed, but they killed it so I will not give them credit for it). The rest of their books have contained perhaps new information to the RPG, and tidbits of new material to the SWU but there has not been any new Sector guides, no guide to original planets, and few new species or ships. There haven’t been any huge guides to original (criminal or otherwise) organizations, few accurate deck plans for ships or bases. There has not been any flavor, or meat on the otherwise cold bones of their RPG.

2. Different RPG system and ideas:

I do not enjoy the D20 system enough to try to fully understand it. This is one of those major killers for me. I might have commented on numerous stats or ideas that were posted, but if it takes me 10 minutes and looking all around in a book that is not even current, to translate ship stats, much less the more complicated characters and critters, from D20 to D6, it is not really worth it for me.

I can not add to conversations about the mechanics of the D20 system, nor truly to the conversations in the general forum that involve things like “Should I give this person a DSP?” The mechanics even there are different.

3. Lack of a gaming group:

Collage has removed frequent secessions from being an option (The time we do spend RPing is normally filled with a 2nd edition D&D game that we started seven years ago, and the highest level character is 11th). Just recently I have organized a semi-different group, and should start gaining an accumulation of stats.

4. Major write-ups/projects:

I am currently working on several large projects that I am staying busy on. Three of them I hope to eventually post to the Journal, here or some other website. Some do not involve SW, and the series of adventures I am working on probably will not get beyond my gaming group, as they are just (long) notes on where we are headed.

Anyway, those are my reasons, and perhaps other people’s reasons for not posting as much.

Rogue Janson
2 October 2002, 01:48 PM
I think this is the slowest I've seen the boards, I presume everyone is up to other things at the mo. I know I've just started university, but rather than taking my time all that's done is given me an always on net connection so I'm on even more than before (though I'm sure that'll change once I start gettign given work).

evan hansen
2 October 2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Armadious
I have noticed that many of the members who were very frequent posters two to three years ago have sort of faded off

While that's true, there are other folks who post a lot now who weren't here 3 years ago. I'm a pretty prime example. I was very active in the online SWRPG community years back and, around the time the holonet was really taking off, I was nowhere to be found.

But here I am, registered around the release of AotC (I *had* a character in the really old DB before swrpgnetwork even existed...and Armage didn't move it over. that punk! ;)). And I post a fair amount.

There are always ups and downs, ins and outs. Part of it is that new folks have to join up and ask some of the same-old-questions again. A lot of times, new perspectives pop up, etc... And really, a lot of discussion can be generated by homebrew information. That really tends to go in cycles as well.

In my estimation, things are fine despite the current lack of posting.

Matt Richard
2 October 2002, 02:28 PM
In response to Armadious,

You know its almost ironic what you point out along with what Ive seen happening. While its true there hasnt been much activity on the HoloNet, Ive also seen something that I havnt seen: unity within the community.

We seem to be getting along alot better now mainly because of WOTC firing of JD, Owen, and the recent and very unfortunate shutting down of Okina-rdae. In this we have really rallied together in sort of a anti-wotc (not d20 necessarily, but the company behind it) sentiment. WOTC seems to be pushing us farther and farther away, and we as a whole have really shown unity in support for the people who were intruded upon by WOTC. Im also starting to see a lot more activity in the d6 forum, just recently and I suspect because not necessarily more d20 people are switching over, but the fact that d6ers are seeing a lot of people losing faith in d20, and because of that, their inspiration stirrs again.

But if im totally off the mark, just tell me, but this is what ive been able to see from this community as of recently.

AxiustheDark
3 October 2002, 07:18 AM
this is what ive been able to see from this community as of recently

I agree with you completely. :)

Plus, some of the more active posters, (such as you, MattRichard..FrobiWanKenobi...NovaSpice.....JimWilliams..Dan_Kyrinov....etc..... .) have been busy with a little project. I know I don't post as much as I could be becuase I just really am spending my time on other SWRPG-related things.

scottyboy
3 October 2002, 08:12 AM
I don't know if this has already been said or not, but I just wanted to put another 2 credit's in the pile... You also have to keep in mind that since the release of Episode's I and II, there is probably quite a few members that are teenagers. In high school. School's in boys and girls. They probaby don't have as much time to get on and post. That's all I can think of. Summer's over, they all have to get back to their educations.

frozenjedi
3 October 2002, 08:36 AM
I believe , that alot of the heated debates , "new" topics , and such were charged by the release of the new movie , the new books to go with it , and the general "Franchise Blitz" Lucas is oh-so-well-known for.

We shall see a new surge with the release of the DVD , as more people will take the movie under a microscope...

and then the tides will go out again . that is , untill the next big thing comes along to get people talking.

just my two credits.

PS:: it would be nice to see some original stuff from $WOTC$ , but its like they just want to rehash the same old books for more money.

UGH. its like they dont want us to support the line. very sad.

Matt Richard
3 October 2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by frozenjedi
PS:: it would be nice to see some original stuff from $WOTC$ , but its like they just want to rehash the same old books for more money.

UGH. its like they dont want us to support the line. very sad.

See what i mean about this anti-WOTC feeling?;) How many people do you suppose are disgusted with WOTC right now?

scottyboy
4 October 2002, 04:39 AM
Well Matt, I certainly am! That are a bunch of communist pigs that think that they are entitled to just shove everyone around because they want credit for anything and everything that could possibly be created for this wonderful game. The way they look at it: "if they can't do it, than nobody can!" And that's F*****G BULL***T, if you ask me.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
4 October 2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by scottyboy
Well Matt, I certainly am! That are a bunch of communist pigs that think that they are entitled to just shove everyone around because they want credit for anything and everything that could possibly be created for this wonderful game. The way they look at it: "if they can't do it, than nobody can!" And that's F*****G BULL***T, if you ask me.

I actually I think it would be more fitting to call WotC a bunch of capitalist pigs.

I also am displeasured with them, and was once in fact threatened with banning for expressing it too much.

Krad-edis
4 October 2002, 07:54 AM
Between school, my wife, my daughter, my full time job, working on two homebrew RPG core rules (when I can), and doing a few Star Wars related projects (when I can), I am extremely busy. I scan the holonet and only really jump in and offer advice or comments on subjects which are very familiar or I know where to find the answers fast. No time for real research.

So it is not a lack of interest for me, but a lack of time and energy. There are biology lab write-ups to do, diapers to change, and my hands and fingers are crushed from unloading boxes (the joys of manual labor). Soon it will be better. My wife and I will graduate, get real jobs, and have some spare time to actually play the games that I made.

Darklighter
5 October 2002, 04:29 PM
Well, my absence is easily explained, if not so easily experienced. RL has been, well... 'very difficult' might be putting it diplomatically. Combined with the beginning of a new semester (hopefully my last), I've been preoccupied. Tough stuff aside (and ongoing), I'm trying to make an effort to get back to this place.

Anyway, that's me. As for the WOTC issue, I'm a D6er, but I really feel for the people dependent on that company for products. Between shutting down Gamer and the Okin Rdae site, along with the dismissal of key people, players of the D20 system have to be feeling pretty unhappy right now at the kind of 'support' this company is providing. I think what ticked me off most about these things was the shutting down of the site. I mean, Gamer was theirs, and I guess they can hire and fire who they please, but they went a little too far for comfort when they shut that site down.

All things considered, I think there's a pattern of behaviour there that poses real problems for D20 players in particular, but for the whole SWRPG community in general as well. Maybe some people are getting turned off with playing Star Wars, or at least have had their enthusiasm dampened a bit. I do know that if I were runnning and SWRPG site for either system right now, I'd be a little nervous these days.