PDA

View Full Version : Wotc

silvfox
1 October 2002, 05:49 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but it seems that the WOTC attack on the Okinradae Technologies (sp?) website is a little transparent. It was evident to myself, after using the products for some time, that the generators were MUCH better than anything that WOTC could produce. But wait a minute, aren't they BANNED from producing said generators, since any SW computer software has to come from Luca$film? Funny, then their only case is the use of their particular names for their game. Didn't think you could copyright the name Enhance Attribute.:?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Coming soon to a gaming table near you... my new D6 Star Wars campaign. Honestly, WOTC is starting to grate on my nerves, and D20 is, unfortunately, going to be a casualty. It's a sad thing, as well, since I actually LIKE the D20 system.

evan hansen
1 October 2002, 06:45 PM
Well, while WotC did pull the standard "big corporation" act (I'm not saying it's bad or good -- just that that's what it is and that it happened), you're right that there is the d6 alternative out there. That's one nice option for players.

More importantly, you'll find help for *either* system here. There are still lots of us D6 folks lying around, and there are certainly plenty of the D20 gang as well.

Either way, enjoy your gaming! :)

Chris Curtis
1 October 2002, 07:49 PM
I believe it was Dragon Fox 3 (not positive) that posted a reply WotC gave to an email, which was the best explanation I've seen so far. Basically, WotC would be in violation of their license with Lucasfilm if they had let the generators continue after they knew about it.

Plain and simple, good or bad. The topic, frankly, has been discussed to death and I think one of the other two threads dedicated to it would be a more appropriate place to continue the discussion.

Matt Richard
3 October 2002, 10:14 PM
Yep, Dragon Fox 3 was the one to write, you can find a txt transcript of the response here:

http://starwars-rpg.net/dlos/letter.txt

Hope that helps settle any doubts. And I am in with you on the d6 switch.

BrianDavion
4 October 2002, 07:29 AM
thats rubbish, WOTC knew of em a while back but contiuned to allow em.

Reverend Strone
4 October 2002, 04:55 PM
Yeah, but it sounds like they themselves don't have any problem with them either. It's Lucasfilm who have come down hard on WOTC and forced them to act now. At least, that's the way it appears on the face of things. Going by Lucasfilm's track record of late that isn't much of a stretch to swallow that explanation either. They have recently enetered in to a period of extreme protectivism, shutting down custom action figure auctions on e-bay and enforcing the boundaries of their licensing deals with near religious fervour.

BrianDavion
4 October 2002, 07:58 PM
indeed. as I have said before, GL wanted to create a modren mythology and has suceeded. this means that SW is going to be something the publuic will feel it has a right to have some level of... access to

Reverend Strone
4 October 2002, 10:29 PM
Yeah. I wish they'd loosen up a little on their trigger fingers though. It's a real shame honets folks like Nazgul, who are just trying to help us all enjoy this great world GL invented, wind up getting shot at by companies under Lucasfilm's orders in their paranoid attempts to protect their lisences. Oh well, such is the world. It's just a little sad that it goes so far.

Rick Vogt
5 October 2002, 04:11 AM
Yeah, the reasons are fine........thing is......LFL is getting toooooooooooooooooooooooo carried away with what is THEIRS...or rather (GLs'). I mean jeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz.

I made a poll about the d20 system in which everyone seemed to think I meant something that I didn't.

I think that the d20 books etc. are going to be harder to push on us now that things are happening the way they are. This is what I meant by that post.

d20 WON'T die just because somethings are going bad.....but gamers will STOP BUYING when things are heading south, and companies are trying to keep the gamers from doing things to help others.

I am mad at LFL, and WotC. I think things would be ok if WotC would have worked for a better contract through LFL. (I don't know exactly what happened......but it's plain to see they got shafted on this).

Anyway, I am glad JD has his own site, and that this site is still rockin' on. Thanks to great Posters, and great Mods.

Nuff said!