PDA

View Full Version : lightsaber fight options

Otonashi
8 October 2002, 06:58 AM
Question on how to best run a lightsaber duel. A Jedi (PC) has confronted his former master (NPC) who has strayed from the purer faith. He is intent on saving his master, but is willing to kill him if he can’t. The master on the other hand has no interest in being “saved”, but he does not want to destroy his former pupil (ending the game). The plan is basically to school the young Jedi until he is out of vitality points, and can therefore no longer press the fight. Would this be best accomplished by using the Fight Defensively style? . Or are there other options available? I’d like to keep the number fudging to a minimum.

Jim Williams
8 October 2002, 07:16 AM
Assuming the Master is much better than the pupil, he can probably fight defensively and hit more often. Of copurse, the longer the fight goes, the greater the chance a good damage roll will come up in D6 or a crit in d20 or something. In both systems, Jedi have methods of controlling the damage done (Control dice, character points, not using increased lightsaber damage, etc.)

Force Strike is a vitality cost effective way to bleed off vitality points. Another good way is for the master to run away using a Speed feat. The vitality will drain the student faster than the master.

This willprobably get bumped to d20, but I tried to give D6 advice too for anyone else.

DCJester
8 October 2002, 07:53 AM
Excellent suggestions Jim, and here are a few more;

Intimidate the student. Have him leave the Master alone.

Have the Master beat the student down by 'fudging' the rolls enough to whip the studentr, and when the student is at his final wound point or two, have the master say something witty or profound, and then knock the student out. Leave him there to be found by someone.

Have the master stun bolt the student, and then leave him there. Someone finds the student and recovers him.

Master fights defensively, and then strikes out once, knocking the student out (IE, rolling a crit, taking the student to -1 wounds). Master leaves.

Remember, there are more than force powers that can be used to get something done. Most of them deal with knocking the student unconcious, but that seems about what you are trying to accomplish.

Marusame
9 October 2002, 07:37 AM
Have your 'master' distract the student with a good lightsaber fight. Then, if you roll well enough that he disables the student without killing him, go with that. However, if you roll well enough that he dies, turn it into a stun shot from behind him. The master was distracting the student so that random troop could stun him.

quick, simple, and works in both systems.

Sanjuro
9 October 2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by DCJester
Have the Master beat the student down by 'fudging' the rolls enough to whip the studentr, and when the student is at his final wound point or two, have the master say something witty or profound, and then knock the student out. Leave him there to be found by someone.

I would try to refrain from "fudging" the rolls unless it is really necessary.

I would say fighting defensively would help, however, if the master has combat expertise, using battlemind to increase his attack bonus, then using combat expertise to increase his defense by the amount gained with battlemind could work as well. This way he will not suffer on his attacks, but will gain in defense. The student can not defeat what he cannot hit.

hope that helpsB)

BrianDavion
9 October 2002, 12:44 PM
have the master play with the student then relase.. "the full power of the force" force whirlwind, malasia, etc. basicly there are powers that if used right a high level jedi can use to hurt a student bad. ohh BTW, if they don't really wanna kill each other in lightsabre dules jedi "check their swings" by taking a -4 penalty.. that could work.

Otonashi
10 October 2002, 08:18 AM
Well the scene went down, and I was totally surprised. The young Jedi talked his former master into submission. It was pretty impressive, and not nearly as boring as it sounds. Thanks for the input.

Kobayashi_Maru
11 October 2002, 07:13 PM
I know your scenario has already happened but in the future you may want to check these (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9778) out.