PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink

KrazyCraig
8 October 2002, 09:59 AM
I am fairly new to Roleplaying and the group that I've been Gming keeps asking what types of food and drink are available in the Catina's and other eating establishment's. I've come up some idea's of my own, but I think that my group is starting to catch on that I keep re-using the same things in every port.

So my question is has anyone compiled a listing of this kind?

And if not, would others be interested in this kind of listing?

BrianDavion
8 October 2002, 10:17 AM
well for drinks here are some good ones

Corellian Whiskey (Whyren's Reserve)
Alderranian Ale (a favroite of Han Solo in his youth)
Lum
you can also make up just about any type of drink using the Alderranian ale name similarity.

such as
Courascanti Champaign,
Rylthoian Rum
etc.

as for food. use your imagination. and rememebr whats good for one species isn't good for another. odds are a lot of the more common foods have their SW equivilant.

evan hansen
8 October 2002, 11:27 AM
If you want to take a look at a fairly large list, read the appropriate section in the "Guide to Cultures and Society" that I co-wrote like 4 years ago.

It's at www.umich.edu/~hansene/swrpg

There are damages and such associated with the alcoholic varieties, but they're all in the D6 system. Regardless, it should give you some good choices to pick from -- and probably some other related background info you might like too.

gipetruc
8 October 2002, 01:11 PM
I made a list of drinks and wines from SW by searching through the Complete Unofficial Enciclopaedia the word "drink" and "wine" (maybe I'll later search also for beer, cocktail and so on).
It's about 2 pages for drinks, one for wine, with the name and the related description found in the enciclopaedia.

I can post it, if you want (but tomorroy, as I don't have it here)

Lord Diggori
8 October 2002, 01:31 PM
Good question, Craig.

I myself have never complied a list myself but the Unofficial Encyclopedia is a good place to look as Gipetruc noted.

What I do is take a real earth food and describe it:

Shrimp chop sui - Vegatable and Sea-flea in clear sauce.

Steak - Grilled Herd Beast prime cut

Spaghetti- Grain noodles in Blood sauce

Scrambled eggs - Whipped Rykath* eggs (* Use any exotic sounding animal name)

Toast- Crisped bread

If they ask for an actual name, any alien-sounding one will do I find.

Nemo Sage
8 October 2002, 11:32 PM
Heya,

In the D6 suppliment Fragments From the Rim, they have a section on leisure activities, mostly its various drinks, mentioned are:
Lum- a sweet slightly soapy tasting strong ale.
Renan Irongut- A cheap strong horribly tasting distilled drink
Various mixed drinks that have some special effect, like the tatooine sunburn that simulates the twin suns of that world, so you again could use your imagination for that, something like a drink called a hyperspace send off, that looks like the swirling blue light of hyperspace, things like that.

hope that helps

~nemo

KrazyCraig
9 October 2002, 04:26 AM
Thank You all for the great ideas...:D

Would anyone be interested in helping to compile a listing with me and then posted said listing here? That way we could all have a quick and easy food and drink source...Just a Though..:)

Wedge in Red2
9 October 2002, 04:49 AM
The only two I can think to add at the moment are from the X-Wing novels and "I, Jedi". They are:

Food: Mynock. As mentioned above, you can eat just about any creature...I think I've heard of Bantha steaks too...
Drink: Lomin-ale. A common beverage consumed by Rogue squadron.

There's another food that was mentioned that I can't remember...I will try and post back later when I get a chance.

Just my 2cr worth.

Jon

Admiral_Atredies
9 October 2002, 03:35 PM
Well, this is just stuff I've seen on my own, some from HolonetNews (nice site for trying to get regular stuff from star wars): so here it is:

Sand Wine: Semi-valuable wine from Tatooine made by a strange process using sand, not fruit
Fizzyglug: from what ive compiled about the beverage, apparently equivalent to Coca-cola in the real world
L'lash: classic Alderaainian dish
Nerf (insert name here): Many a times, I've had my characters eat "nerf burgers" or "nerf tenderloin" or even "nerf chops". Works well with Bantha,too

Also, a miscelanious fact. I think that the equivalent to McDonalds is some place called the Biscut Baron:? I'm not sure where I found that out. BTW: I'd love to help in compiling a list from all available sources. With a few more details I think we could pull it off with help.

Nova Spice
9 October 2002, 04:03 PM
Some common drinks in my campaign:

-Lomin ale
-Lum
-Juri Juice
-Corellian Whiskey (Whyren's Reserve!)
-Blue Milk
-Ralltiir Wine
-Mangorian Sandwine
-Caf (coffee)
-Rathalay Ale
-Coruscant Brandy
-Tellur (similar to a bloody mary :D )

As far as food goes:

-Nerf
-Nerf
-Nerf
-More Nerf!

Nerfs are basically the cows of Star Wars so I find all kinds of dishes to go with them, as well as banthas, mynocks, and dewbacks (on Tatooine). Gornt is another meal that Corran Horn ate in I, Jedi. It was roasted and it seemed like it was pretty crunchy, so try that for some flavor if needed! :D

I hope this adds some more ideas for your campaign! ;)

BrianDavion
9 October 2002, 04:21 PM
I thought nerfs where more like a goat:)

Wedge in Red2
9 October 2002, 11:44 PM
Another couple I've just come across in my reading of "I, Jedi":

Han Solo, on Yavin 4 with the help of the Millenium Falcon food processors prepares what is described as Corellian Food "fried endwa in an orange gravy and butter-boiled csolcir with vweilu-nut slivers" (pg 195 in the hardcover version I'm reading).

Just one more example...

Jon

Emperor Xanderich II
10 October 2002, 01:37 AM
If you wanted a smoke, then you could always ask for some Wookiebackie.

On eof the characters had some in one of our adventures, although the player insisted on it having, cough, 'medicinal' purposes (dope)8o

KrazyCraig
11 October 2002, 12:00 PM
Thanks to everyone who has posted their ideas. I'm still thinking of compiling a source for food and drink in the Star Wars Universe. I'll be using the following format:

Name:
Description:
Effects:
Cost:

So, if anyone would like to help me in this endeavor please feel free to post here and or email me at krazycraig@hotmail.com.:D

Please include Food/Drink as your subject if you are going to email me.

Thanks

evan hansen
11 October 2002, 12:15 PM
Quick reminder here. You should probably ask for the effects in both systems or have someone doing conversions. You may have already thought of that, but there's no harm in reminding! :)

Also, feel free to take anything from my Guide to Cultures in Society. Those all have effects listed in D6. I, sadly, don't have the time to go get them and paste them all myself. But some adventurous soul might! This is a fun project. Good work, Krazy.

Ris
22 October 2002, 10:29 AM
I almost forgot--chocolate seems to be a favorite, at least amongst the Jedi. I recall Luke drinking hot coca/chocolate in one of the post-ROTJ novels & I've heard that's not the only time chocolate shows up. Without knowing this, I created a dessert that my npc Jedi Master is fond of--"chocolate-dipped-strawberry sorbet." I wasn't at my most imaginative, or I would have changed the fruit to something less earthly.
I also keep threatening to run a brawl in a pizza parlor...8o

kckamas
24 October 2002, 07:54 PM
Here is what I've gleaned from evanhansen's guide, I've also added/changed some myself:

$- slice of or bread potato, bowl of gruel
$$- hamburgers, chicken, etc.
$$$- shrimp, or a decent steak
$$$$- really good steak, lobster, or swordfish (I think those are expensive)
$$$$$- something more expensive than that.

Bantha Tenderloin: A nice cut of Bantha meat, usually served smothered in a gravy or battered and fried. It has a value of $$$

Dewback Stew A 'down-home cookin' style dish that consists of a krayt dragon fat base, chunks of krayt dragon flesh, various vegetables, carbohydrates, and very mildly spiced. Moisture is very precious on tatooine, and people don't waste it on cooling there mouths after eating a spicy dish. $$

Jawa Chops On tatooine, a Jawa chop is one of the best pieces of meat you can buy. This dish is not actually Jawa, it is prepared in the method of Jawa cooking. While this dish is expensive, it is a melt in your mouth piece of meat. $$$$

kckamas
24 October 2002, 07:57 PM
crap, the html tags didn't work. Oh well. I'll finish this list tomorrow evening (Friday). Its 11 central time, I'm 15 and I still have a 'bed time'. so I gotta go to sleep

Jake Sunspot
24 October 2002, 09:57 PM
Corran Horn and Mirax Terrik are quite fond of the Corellian confection ryshcate which seems to be something along the lines of a choclate cake with coffee in the mix. sounds yummy

Wedge in Red2
25 October 2002, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by kckamas
crap, the html tags didn't work. Oh well. I'll finish this list tomorrow evening (Friday). Its 11 central time, I'm 15 and I still have a 'bed time'. so I gotta go to sleep

I think you'll find it's because you used < and > instead of square brackets. You can edit your post up to 36 or 48 hours (or something)after you've posted it, so you might like to give that a try.

Hope that helps :),

Jon

kckamas
25 October 2002, 05:45 AM
Thanks wedge , it worked. I was just looking at the society and culture guide and realized I was just looking at a tiny fraction of the listed foods. So I probably want finish this until late tonight.

kckamas
25 October 2002, 06:09 PM
I'm working on this list of foods and I'm not sure how to 'price' these items. Does anyone have any suggestions? The method I used last night I don't like, and I don't have an other ideas. I'm just not gonna price it for now, until somebody has a good method.:(

Ris
26 October 2002, 04:23 AM
Actually, I think your pricing method is pretty good. The only thing I could add would be at the $$$$$ level. At this level you're usually paying additional for something other than food. It could also include places that offer something very exotic & rare, though. An Alderaanian wine, say, after ANH. (Yeah, some people might find that ghoulish, but whend has that adversely affected demand?) So here's my description of that level:
$$$$$: Menu basically the same as $$$$, but prepared by a noted chef, served at a famous restaurant &/or one located in a fancy resort area. Also, the menu often includes very exotic/rare foods.

For example, in my RL city we have a landmark restaurant famous for steak, wines, & desserts. In what order I don't know--it's way out of our budget, & would be even if we stopped buying RPG stuff and won the state lottery:D. Famous people eat there. Regular folks who want to impress a date or add a really special touch to a birthday or something, may go just for dessert.

kckamas
28 October 2002, 03:41 PM
I finally give something back to the SW RPG community, after 6 months of living off the fat of your labors. ;) Hope somebody finds a use for this. Thanks go to evanhansen for allowing me to use his list of foods in the Guide to Cultures and Society . Here is a plaint text version, and a .doc version (Word, wordpad, etc.) I'm only about a third done, so there will be quite a bit more.

Star Wars Foods and Drinks

Legend:
Poor: 5 credit meal
Common: 15 credit meal
Good: 30 credit meal
Pricey: 50 credit meal
Exquisite: 100 credit meal

Tenbah Squid Pie with Roosha toppings
Tenbah Squid is a popular staple in Mon Cal dishes. One of the most common methods of preparation is baked in a flaky crust filled with gravy made of squid fat, kelp, and various sea sponges. While it may sound quite disgusting, it is, in fact, quite delicious, especially when topped with Roosha juice, which is quite spicy. (Good)

Quekk
Quekk is a salad green, which is found mainly in very fancy and expensive restaurants. Quekk is actually not a leafy green, but a vine. It is usually dried and rarely served fresh, if ever. However, when covered in dressing and mixed with other vegetables, it really adds a lot to a salad. (Pricey)

Wecliu Nuts
The legume known as the Wecliu Nut is about the size of a human fist. It is covered in an extremely hard shell, but the meat within has excellent flavor. It is usually sliced or cubed, and then deep fried, sometimes battered. Do to the preparation required (shelling), it has an unfortunate high value. (Pricey)

Driblis Fruit
This juicy fruit is actually not a fruit at all, but a root. The Driblis plant itself is a carnivorous plant, which feeds on small rodents and reptiles in its jungle habitat. But the root of this plant is very juicy and sweet. One of the best things about it is its lack of seeds. (Common)

Bantha Burgers
Bantha Burgers, the ‘all-galactic’ food. Served in every corner of the galaxy and sometimes made up of any creature in the galaxy, Bantha Burgers are probably the most common and well know dish in the galaxy. A Bantha Burger is a piece of ground Bantha (and sometimes a different creature) meat fried, boiled, or barbequed between to grain carbohydrate bunchs, the most common being Yern, or sometimes the synthetic ‘wonder-grain’. (Common/Poor)

Bantha Tenderloin
A tender cut of Bantha meat, usually served smothered in a gravy or battered and fried. (Common/Good)

Dewback Stew
A 'down-home cookin' style dish that consists of a krayt dragon fat base, chunks of krayt dragon flesh, various vegetables, carbohydrates, and very mildly spiced. Moisture is very precious on tatooine, and people don't waste it on cooling there mouths after eating a spicy dish. (Poor/Common

Jawa Chops
On tatooine, a Jawa chop is one of the best pieces of meat you can buy. This dish is not actually Jawa, it is prepared in the method of Jawa cooking. A Jawa Chop is actually prepared at least a couple months in advance, the best Jawa Chops being as old as 4 or 5 years! It is marinated in a mixture of sand wine, bantha lard, and various herbs. While this dish is expensive, it is a melt in your mouth piece of meat. (Good/Pricey)

Dewback Ribs
Dewback ribs are the traditional Tatooine ‘back-yard’ food. They are prepared in countless ways, though the most popular is barbequed. Many Dewback Ribs are slatherd in sauces which can be sweet, sour, spicy, or a combination.(Common/Good)

Bruallki
Bruallki is an extremely salty piece of meat, almost to the point of being unbearable. However, its weakness in the culinary department is what makes it so sought after. Due to the extremely high salt content, it keeps exceptionally well, with out special packaging. In fact, there are still 40 year old pieces of Bruallki that taste as good (or bad) as the day they were butchered. (Poor)

Kizar Sticks
Kizar Sticks are a tasty snack made up of baked dough which has been rolled in large grained salt. Before being baked, the cylinder of dough is twisted into various shapes. (Common, snack food)

Range Squab
In the outer rim planets, one of the commonly eaten poultry foods is Range Squab. These small flightless birds are abundant on numerous worlds. They aren’t incredibly tasty, but they aren’t bad, either. (Common)

Fromirian Roast Queg
The Queg is a medium-sized reptilian animal that resembles the rancor, but on a much smaller scale. The largest being about 2 feet tall. In fact, the Queg is distantly related to rancor, even having the incredibly tough skin. However, it is considered a delicacy when roasted in the traditional Fromirian style. The Fromirians eat the Queg for a holiday meal, and they have mastered the art of cooking it. It is slowly roasted in its own juice, and filled with a mixture of carbohydrates, berries, nuts, and spices. (Exquistite)

kckamas
28 October 2002, 04:02 PM
Heres the file. And I'm gonna add another level of quality, but I can't think of the word I want. I'm thinking of a synonym for 'one of a kind' but I can't think of it at the moment (stupid brain fart:raised: )

KrazyCraig
28 October 2002, 04:49 PM
Cool... Do you mind if add these in to the project that I'm working?:D
With credit of course.

kckamas
28 October 2002, 05:48 PM
sure, go ahead.

Admiral_Atredies
29 October 2002, 01:19 PM
With your permission, kckamas, I would like to put up a post using a variat of your ledgend for drinks. I also would like to make some contribution (however small) back to these boards.

BTW: If you want a name for that other level of quality, you could try just "Platinum" or "Deluxe":D

kckamas
29 October 2002, 02:06 PM
you don't need my permission, go ahead. No, those are the the words I'm looking for *waves hand in the air*

kckamas
29 October 2002, 02:09 PM
I figured out the word! (exclusive)
$$$$$$=Exclusive/Rare

ElfWord
29 October 2002, 07:22 PM
Sweet, having almost every Star Wars book with me is showing it's merits.
In Rebel Dawn, after Chewie gets married he and Han and relatives attend a huge feast. Much of what I'm about to list are primarily wookie foods, but I'm sure some show up elsewhere in the galaxy. All of the following foods are safe for human consumption, while other wookie foods can sometimes be very spicy, even enough so to damage a human gullet, and meats are often served raw.
"Xachibik broth, a thick meat, herb and spice combination"
"Vrortick "cocktail," a layered dish that combined various meats and layers of wroshyr leaves that had been soaked in potent grakkyn nectar for weeks"
"Factryn meat pie"
"frozen Gorrnar"
"chyntuck rings"
"fried Klak"
"barbecued trakkrrrn ribs"
"rilllrrnnn seeds" - good on salads
Liquor:
"Accarragm"
"Cortyg"
"Garrmorl"
"Grakkyn"
"Thikkiian brandy" (note, this is apparently a quite popular and high-priced drink that is valuable enough to be used as a trade commodity.)
"Gorimn wine" - safe for reasonable consumption by humans, no adverse effects
"Gralinyn juice" - safe for reasonable consumption by humans, no adverse effects
"Jaar" - Jaar is "sweetened alcoari milk and vineberry extract." (A very sweet drink.)

Other foods I know of, are as follows:
Food Hutts like:
Naala tree frogs
Rodian knelp gnats, increased in size by growth hormones and a year-long life span. Humans find these delicious as well.
Britteth flash

Various drinks:
Polanis red - a choice of Lando Calrissians, served on Cloud City and possibly elsewhere
vine coffeine(Star Wars equivalent of coffee)
Tarkenian Nightflower - another Lando Calrissian choice
Vishay water (possibly flavored water??)

Various foods:
dried, salted jer-weevils
>>>nerf tenderloins<<< - these things are as numerous as hydrogen, and just as essential to the Star Wars universe, lol.

Whew, that took quite a bit of searching through my books. I'll post anything else I come accross, hope that helps. In case you want to further increase the variety of drinks, remember that there are many different brands, much the same way there are many different brands of beer or vodka in the real world. An NPC's favorite brand of Alderaanian Ale is a neat little characteristic.
Hope I've helped!

ElfWord
29 October 2002, 07:37 PM
Just as I finished posting my last message, I thought of another book in which a drink was mentioned. In Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, the drink "spiced wine" was mentioned. This is a red-colored wine, served cold. Jawas are not often exposed to this drink, but when they are, they LOVE it.
Don't know if these have been mentioned yet or not, but there are also: Juri Juice
Merenzane Gold - a sweet, subtle concotion costing well upward of a hundred credits for a bottle, depending on vintage. Highly acidic, drinkable by devaronians but probably not by less durbale species.

If I find anymore, I'll post them as well.

Admiral_Atredies
30 October 2002, 01:49 PM
Ok here is the drink section, all are quite common.

Drink Rating:
Inexpensive (very low-cost, but not always low-quality)
Modrate (common)
Pricey (above average cost)
Expensive (exteremly high priced; usually very high quality)

Fizzyglug
A common, widely manufactured carbonated beverage, Fizzyglug has been a staple in sub-adult life for hundreds of years, and is one of the most common soft drinks in the galaxy. Fizzyglug is produced by many companies, and is called by many names, but all brands share a basic formula: colored,flavored, and carbonated water that is usually found in tall, prism-shaped cans. Fizzyglug is especially enjoyed by Humans, but research indicates that Fizzyglug consumed in excesive amounts over an extended period of time can cause tooth, stomach, and even minor brain problems, so it is no wonder that wise-cracks about Humans and Fizzyglug are popular with aliens.
Cost: Inexpensive (about 1-3 credits)
Earth equivalent:Coca-cola and other sodas

Coffine
A high caffine, aromatic brown or black liquid, Coffine is a product that has become increaingly popular in past years. It is a very popular drink among night-shift guards and rebellious teens whom guzzle gallons of the steaming liquid evry month. It posesses unuasually (and sometimes labled unstable) amounts of caffine which posseses revitalizing qualities. It is manufactured using nearly all synthetic and man-made flavors, though natural versions have been created using a variety of bean found on several jungle-terrain worlds. Coffine can be found in many forms, from powdered and vacum sealed, to gourmet
Cost: Inexpensiev to pricey (depending on type purchased)
Earth Equivalent: Well, If ya can't figure this one out...Coffee

Lum
Lum is a common bar drink, especially among those of the spacer profession, all across the outer and mid rims. Its true origin is not always know; many bars either have their own variants of, or even produce their own Lum based on a basic alcoholic beverage. Lum is usually found as yellow to orangish brown in color, and usually have a thin layer of head on the top. Lum generaly is a very odorful (is that a real word???), potent substance found in most rough and tumble bars away from the core, which generally considers Lum a crude petrolium bi-product. Lum also comes in "fancier" spiced version which costs only a few credits more.
Cost: Inexpensive (generally 3-8 credits)
Earth equivalent: Beer maybe?

Sand-Wine
Sand-wine is a delectible Tatooinian delecasy favored by wealthy and powerful (which means the Hutts on Tatooine), and by the lower classes. It is quite unlike any other version of wine in the galaxy, in the sense that it is not produced using or contains any fruit. It is made by a complex process of using machenary, sand, and desert "plums" (a type of root found in the sandy dune regions), and a skillful hand. The process can take months to just prodce a fresh wine, and it is aged usually for a mininmum of five years before sale and consumption. The end result is a slightly bitter, strong wine that is always makes a statement at any Tatooinian party.
Cost:Pricey to Expensive. Because it is nearly impossible for a skilled sand-wine maker to produce a "bad crop", wine price is based solely on its age. (usually 50-250 credits)

Sorry if I took up too much space, but thats all I can type for now. Please disregard and typos, I'm horrible at typing on my Mac's tiny keyboard, and my fingers are getting cramps. You can expect Corellian Ale to come up soon in another post.

dragonseye
1 November 2002, 12:49 PM
There is also a list of Hutt specific cuisine listed on pages 36-7 of the Star Wars Galactic Phrase Book and Travel Guide

Drinks: (all drinks are intoxicating.)

Boga Noga: two decanters are described as being able to descensitize an entire Storm Trooper Squad for an evening.
Gardulla,
Tatooni Junko,
Yatooni Boska.

Foods:

Strained Keebadas,
Mubasa Hock,
Braised Fork Tarts: Thorns are painful on the tart,
Scurrier Tips (seasonal food),
Hot Chubas,
Sand Gizzars: "abbrasive"

I hope that helps you somewhat.

KrazyCraig
16 November 2002, 10:19 AM
I'm starting to work on the project now. I've been a little busy with other projects lately. So far I have a rough 40 pages, and I'm going to try to work up a section on the pricing of goods from planet to planet. And hopefully some form of rules for intoxication (d20). If you have ideas that you think might help out please feel free send me a message.

Thanks

KrazyCraig

Kal_Myadon
19 November 2002, 05:31 AM
I remember reading that one of Han's favourite foods was roast traladon ribs, I think that was in the AC Crispin novels.

Kal

Talon Razor 'GM'
24 November 2002, 11:12 AM
How is the project going? If you need any help, let me know. I think this is such a cool idea and I can't wait to see it!