PDA

View Full Version : After the Vong are repelled, the galaxy needs a new threat.

Paul Klein
8 October 2002, 01:21 PM
Obviously, the SW Galaxy is almost constantly in a state of war. It simply makes it more interesting that way. In your opinion, who would/should/could become the next major threat to the galaxy after the Vong are finally defeated (in your opinion)?

Paul Klein
8 October 2002, 01:29 PM
In response to my own poll, I think a combination of the Empire and the Sith would be interesting. Either working together or separately (all the more fun )

Rogue Janson
8 October 2002, 01:59 PM
To be honest, I don't want to think about it. One the things I have against NJO (not that I don't like it) is that I was going "oh no, not another threat to the galaxy, all I want is a little peace". So I think they deserve a rest for a while. The Force has been balanced, whatever that means.

evan hansen
8 October 2002, 02:41 PM
I'm actually hoping for some unique peace-time tales of the new jedi order. I wouldn't mind reading about the peace-keeping exploits of a few Jedi for 3-5 books.

I think some good Sith-based novels would be OK, but only after a little change of pace and such.

(I should note that I'm not certain that this fits in the SW-RPG discussion -- perhaps the NJO Forum or something)

Jedi_Staailis
8 October 2002, 02:53 PM
I agree with Evan Hansen. Peacetime isn't necessarily boring. Given that everything else is set either in war, or threat of war, it would be a refreshing change to see some peacetime novels. In fact, I would hope that they would devote an entire "era" to this concept, because I can see a lot of book (and adventure) material in it.

Ravager_of_worlds
8 October 2002, 03:55 PM
i chose "other"-

[Start Super Sunday Voice- deep and loud]

I envision a galaxy torn asunder by the new...

exploitive...

powerful....

and expensive....

[mundane office clerk voice] corporations returned from the ashes to sqaubble over publics and services that will in turn bribe politicians who will in turn give special interests a larger than normal voice in government... in other words, back to what the New Republic does best- bicker and fight about the price of fuel rods at the pump. :D

FallenAngel
8 October 2002, 06:10 PM
It's time for some sith to at least do something again... or a sith-based novel from sith pov. the sith will rise again... so goes the ebb and flow of the galaxy. somebody's gonna find some sith lorebooks, and the tradition will be reborn.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
8 October 2002, 08:15 PM
I can see it now...

The Ewok Rebellion! They will combine all the lumber on their planet into giant logs, and launch them at other planets! How could it not work?!?

VixenofVenus
8 October 2002, 09:26 PM
My vote goes with Alfred's plan

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
8 October 2002, 10:04 PM
The Ewok Menace? Atack of the Ewoks? The Endorian Hope? The Ewoks Strike Back? Revenge of the Ewoks?

And my favorite scary movie used to be Showgirls.

In all seriousness however, I think that a new Dark Side evil that has to be fought by the newly knighted Jedi like the Solo Twins and friends (if they survive the NJO that is).

Tony J Case, Super Genius
8 October 2002, 11:01 PM
Naw - enough war. Time to let the galaxy recover and rebuild. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross was one of the better anime series I'd seen - and what made it stand out was that about a 3rd of the show was about the aftermath of the Earth/Zentraedi war. Sure there were battles, but the character development was much richer for the last portion of the story arc.

da_gm
8 October 2002, 11:35 PM
If you take into account the vast military the empire had during its peak of power there are bound to be local warlords long after the fall of the empire. They might not be the grand threat to peace in the galaxy, but might take a few systems and turn them into their own "kingdoms".

Using the fairly indoctrinated personel of the empire and telling them it is for the greater good of the empire, and then throw some of those opportunist with absolutely no moral into the pot, you have a deadly brew that sure will make life miserable for those unfortunate enough to live on the systems the warlord sees as "his system".

Sum of it all i don´t think there is a need for the great threat. Overall peace in the galaxy, but with some serious mopping up to do, should provide enough material for a peace time era

Emperor Xanderich II
9 October 2002, 03:33 AM
Moving to NJO forum

Oh, and I always liked the Empire, so it would be good if they (or some form of them) came back.

Master Droid
9 October 2002, 04:13 AM
So they make some books on peacetime. That is good with me. But then, a sentient computer virus covertly begins bringing its crushing fist over the galaxy...

Wait, does that work?:raised:

Prof. Tricky
9 October 2002, 05:07 AM
Maybe something the Vong leave behind could be the next threat,such as the YV molecular disease that Mara Jade was infected with,or left over Yuuzan Vong bio-technology could mutate.The Arkanians could get a hold of YV equipment and combine it with life from their galaxy.The possibility for new plots is almost endless!Almost.B)

Faraer
9 October 2002, 06:27 AM
What distinguishes the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War is that they're extremely rare times when long-building conflicts come to a head. One reason there won't be Episodes VII-IX is that Lucas would have to realize what story takes place after the eucatastrophe, after all is made right again. Our culture doesn't know what that story is. The EU answer, a series of further conflicts little less epic than the war with the Sith and the Empire, isn't mythically concordant with the films. If I did credit the conflict with the Yuuzhan Vong, that would be the end of galactic conflict for centuries.

We know what the restoration of balance to the Force is: it's the final destruction of the Sith, as Lucas has said. It should be final.

My favourite time for SW campaigns is the peaceful Republic before the Empire, when there are many small stories that aren't overshadowed by the dominant war narratives. That's the norm, the golden Republic, that the Rebellion fights for: it's senseless if all it gets is more war.

OStephens
9 October 2002, 06:45 AM
I agree with those who don't want tpo see another galaxy-spanning threat. One of my problems with the YV invasion storyline is that is makes much of what happened in the movies seem less epic. In fact, you begin to wonder if the emperor might not have been right (maybe you -need- two Death Stars to protect the galaxy from the YV, and the Rebellion made everyone's life more difficult by blowing them up).

It's a galaxy, folks. A whole galaxy. Even if the republic as a whole is perfectly safe, there's lots of room for adventure. Ex-Imperial Warlords? You betcha. Small systemk conflicts? Sure thing. Some dark force users making life difficult for a particular group? No problem. Petty wars between entire confederations of systems, with "only" the lives of billions in the balance? Great!

I'd love to see a series of novels dealing with the Jedi -trying- to stamp out a whole bunchy of little problems. Have the Krath pop up somewhere, as an in-the-open, perfectly legal group of dark side adepts using ancient Sith lore. Have the remaining Empire ask for help dealing with renegade Super Star Destroyer Captains. Have piracy hit an all-time high. Have the Hutts try to enslave another servitor race. Have the Corporate Sector Authority declare its independence from the Republic, and start violating the rights of all alien races within its borders. And have the Jedi be too outnumbered to be able to solve it all. Now -that's- conflict and adventure.

In fact, part of the theme of such stories could be the threat that such a lack of a universal threat represents. I can easily see Luke and Leia trying to save the New Republic from the kind of apathy and stagnation that killed the Old Republic. Without a single threat to focus on, the main characters have to work -harder- to preserve freedom and justice, since most people only care if their own home world is safe and prosperous.

To me, those would be the best kinds of stories.

Silent
9 October 2002, 07:19 AM
True, I think I'd like to have some kind of peaceful time with a few nutbars running around like OS said. The thing I'd like them to base it on is the "I, Jedi" novel: nothing major goes on, in terms of the galaxy as a whole, but Corran gets to have a heck of a time finding his lost love, making his lightsabre, making some Caamassi friends. Heck, you even get a nice Jedi/Sith duel, even though it's in flashback (actually, I think that's what makes it even better; someone giving up their life to lay the smack-down on a Sith is absorbing reading!).

Anyhow, some ideas:
-This droid freedon thing, what if we get a world where all the droids start to want their freedom? Good luck using the "Jedi mind trick" there...
-Pelleaon (sp?); this guy is odd insofar as he is an Imperial commander who is neither a total jerk nor an insanely brilliant commander. Maybe there'll be a "kinder-gentler" Empire in the future?
-The Chiss: assuming Jaina eventually marries Jag, we might end up seeing some more of these people in a few books.
-The building of a new Jedi Temple: I assume that Luke won't want to use the Academy on Yavin 4 now, so maybe there could be a plotline where they find a place that will leave them in peace. Hmmm, maybe Coruscant?

Oh well, time will tell...

strensk
9 October 2002, 08:49 AM
Something different. There doesn't have to be a war, for things to be interesting. The galaxy is going to need to recover from this invasion. Why not make a series about the Jedi and the Republic, or what remains of it rebuild, and the problems from that.

Pirates, Privateers, maybe a little Remnant expansion, or politicing to get worlds to join the empire, people who are just hell bent on making a profit off of the suffering of others. Would make for some good Jedi stories.

Maybe the galaxy fragments into various pieces with certain political agendas facing off against each other. All kinds of stuff to do.

Marusame
9 October 2002, 09:01 AM
If the Sith are smart, they'll wait until the galaxy has almost no hope... then swoop into the fight. How well is Luke's "They're bad..." speech going to go over with people who were just saved by them?

dragonseye
9 October 2002, 12:04 PM
I do agree that there needs to be a time of peace and rebuilding. With the NJo series, we've been kind of desensitised to death and pain. Each book that I've read, yet another planet(s) is destroyed and even more main characters whom we've built emotional ties to have died in troves.

Personally, I'd really like to see the books take some time with the exploration of the galaxy, as well as other galaxies. I'd prefer seeing books with adventure as opposed to mindless death and destruction. Perhaps we learn more about the interworkings of the Force and maybe a greater knowledge of the galaxy's past, especially with the Sith, Jedi, and other Force traditions.

Murasame,

That was the whole idea behind a Dark Side campaign I played in during the NJO time period. I had a Sith Lord who's goal was to take over the galaxy by "saving" it. I had to quite the game before I was able to complete my machinations though. (Family time was a tad more important to me than constant games.)

Admiral_Atredies
9 October 2002, 03:26 PM
I would liike to see alot of these suggestions presnted, lots of political or kinda strange conflicts. I don't think that the galaxy needs a new threat, but rather referances to the past novels, building upon those characters and events. It personally kind of ticks me off when the entire galaxy is confronted by a "New and powerful threat". Theres lots of stuff that authors only touched on in single novels thst could be expanded upon and combined with the other ideas.

I also would like to see more novels involving the chronicles of other characters. When I mean other characters, I don't mean that LUKE's grandchild, or LEIA's kids fighting battles. Not meant as an insult to the Skywalker heritage, but they have had thier time. I think its about time we see some new, non-Force-prodigies showing up in the galactic limelight. After all, Han has to die sooner or later, and after that, Leia will probably go, then after a couple more decades, Luke kicks the bucket. Then what? Sorry if I got of topic, but the reason I brought up this point is because my favorite character in the EU is Talon Karrde, partly because he is a different, non Force-sensitive guy.

VixenofVenus
9 October 2002, 04:28 PM
It might also be time to just take a giant leap, like five HUNDRED years into the future ... all new setting, new characters, new technology, etc ... possibly even some extra-galactic travel ... it opens whole new doors for the imagination to bust through.

Nova Spice
9 October 2002, 04:35 PM
Something I think is obvious would be the rebuilding of the galaxy. I mean there's a LOT to rebuild and certainly this would generate enough excitement for years to come. No war, but the galaxy is still in a state of panic as the reconstruction begins.

There's no telling how many stories and plots could be used in this setting and personally this sounds like something that should, if it doesn't anyway, happen after the NJO series comes to a close. B)

wolverine
10 October 2002, 12:40 PM
Or even better, how's about taking the war back to their home system, to only find it nearly devoid of life (this being why the vong left), many areas where there are remains/ties to the sith, and maybe even ties to the Gree hyperspace gates.....

Admiral_Atredies
10 October 2002, 01:02 PM
Just curious, what are the Gree hyperspace gates?

Silent
10 October 2002, 06:15 PM
If they boost it a hundred years into the future, it might not necessarily have to exclude the Skywalkers and co. If people are desperate for at least a small link to the usual time, maybe Luke could be in a Holocron for the New Jedi to use? It would be kind of interesting to see, I think...

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
10 October 2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Admiral_Atredies
Just curious, what are the Gree hyperspace gates?

The gree are these slug looking dudes that lived WAY back in the day, if I recall correctly, their society collapsed as the Republic was starting up. They were masters of technology that easily surpassed current Star Wars tech, and had large gates they used for transportation that were basically just what they sounded like: go in Gate A and pop out of Gate B. Most all of their technology now lies in disrepair, with no-one in their burnt out society having the knowledge or the want to operate or repair any of their old gear.

Any bad info in their that anyone can spot? I once made most of a website on these guys, so I consider myself an *cough* expert.

hisham
12 October 2002, 08:46 AM
I'm with Ravager .

Enough galaxy spanning threats for me. If I ever run a post NJO campaign, the war and intrigue will be mostly corporations duking it out get a bigger piece of the pie. There have been so many companies with so many different corporate ethics established in SW EU, I'm surprised there hasn't been any EU literature or RPG campaign module on corporate rivalry.

It sounds quite Cyberpunk-esque though.

Lord Kjeran
13 October 2002, 01:01 PM
Chello!

I voted for a combo. Doesn't necessarily have to be galaxy-spaning unrest though...I'm thinking a Cold War typre of scenario.

That is, the racial strife that is inherent in the NR (the backlash against humanity) will cause internal unrest. Corporations (what is the CSA up to these days?) will create a cyberpunk-type atmosphere to protect their interests in the shadow of a weakened NR. An emboldened and revitalized Empire will snatch systems at the edges of the NR's territory(probably diplomatically, esp. if they have a visible, if not important, role against the YV) and prove a thorn in the side of the Republic. Maybe even renewed agression by the Ssi Ruk and the Yevetha. And what are the Chiss keeping bottled up in the Unknown Regions anyway?

Lots of possibilities out there....:)

EDIT: Spelling and clarity.

blemelisk
14 October 2002, 07:00 AM
how about Ssi-ruuvi incursions ?.. not major ones just u know small raids or
well if i dare mention it.... empirial terriorist plots?>..the empire (or what is left of it) would certainly have good reason to start using terriorist tactics.
neither major threats but could cause problems during the "New Galaxy" (taken after the "New South" after the American Civil War)
perhapes internal problems like has been mentioned before but on like other planets where people are arguing for territory and stuff
just some ideas (problebly not good ones) hope they help

Apocalypse
15 October 2002, 09:34 AM
I was under the impression that the Chiss basically blasted the Ssi-ruuvi into the stone age, and that they are not going to be threat to anyone.

I don't know what will happen after NJO. Clearly there are a lot of posibilities, but what exactly happens is going to depend largely on the outcome of NJO. Theres still enough time for some major upheavel before the series is done.

Somehow I think Ben Skywalker is going to be pretty important in upcoming books. There will probably be some kind of story centered around him.

TK421
18 October 2002, 02:02 PM
I am kind of hoping for a certain Stromtrooper to come back and get his armor back from a certain stupid whinny farmboy…but I could be biased. And it could work since he would never see it coming at this point. :p :D :p

-=-=-=-
‘TK421, why aren’t you at your post?’
‘Because some stupid whinny farmboy stole my uniform!!!’

Ravnor
12 June 2006, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
I can see it now...

The Ewok Rebellion! They will combine all the lumber on their planet into giant logs, and launch them at other planets! How could it not work?!?
SILENCE! speak no more of this heretical notion!

Ravnor
12 June 2006, 04:24 AM
I think that the Empire should come back, but its realy a distraction so an ancient dark side cult can infiltrate the Jedi and new republic.

wolverine
12 June 2006, 09:41 PM
How about nothing to do with the sith or the outside. What if the 'great threat' comes from within. Like something that splits the jedi order up into the loyalists to the republic and those against it, with the members of the republic against the new galatic order...