PDA

View Full Version : Is there a problem with the "Badge Rankings"?

Sanjuro
9 October 2002, 08:49 AM
I just happened to notice that there are "new players" on the holonet with the same badge ranking as "skilled and experienced players". Did I miss something?:raised:
B)

Sorry, I should have put this under HoloNet comments. B)

scottyboy
9 October 2002, 09:13 AM
From what I understand (and don't quote me on this or anything!), the rank badge is affected not only by how long you have been a member, but moreso by the number of posts that you have. Now I could very well be wrong on that, but I've been around for a little while, and that's the trend that I've noticed.

Zanus
9 October 2002, 09:41 AM
from what I am told, the rank is based not only on the number of posts, but other factors as well. I have noticed at least two times when I tried something new with the holonet layout my rank would increase. Maybe it was coincidence, or maybe it can actually keep track of that. Only moridan and one or two others know for sure

Gulmyros
9 October 2002, 10:23 AM
There are several things that "rate" you, and the secret formulas that calculate your rank and badge, along with your level, WP and VP totals in your profile are known only to Armage and maybe a few others.

Things that I know affect your ranking: # of posts length of time since you registered on the HolonetAdditional things that I suspect affect your rank and all those other things: # of posts per day how often you reply to threads and/or how often you start new threads # of forums in which you participate ...and stuff like that
I think there's a lot involved, and the folks in the know aren't sharing the formulas so that folks won't adjust their participation just to influence the stat blocks.

Hope that helps some.

Oh, and please remember that I don't know for a fact if and how any of those things affect your stats, it's just a list of my own personal observations!

Sanjuro
9 October 2002, 10:40 AM
Actually, I noticed that I have more posts, a higher level, and have been a member to the boards longer than some of the people that have my exact same badge ranking.

So once again I ask, whats up.B)

evan hansen
9 October 2002, 12:21 PM
Since the formula is so involved, it's possible to have the same badge for several "levels" and thus people with different numbers and levels than you can have the same badge. In some cases, you may advance a level and nothing happens. In other cases, you may advance a level your tagline (new player, experienced player, etc...) changes. In still other cases, you badge will change.

The badge changes less and less frequently the higher your level goes which, of course, likely reflects the fact that not all people advance in rank no matter how long they've been around.

In short, the formula is likely very complicated since the database this thing runs out of is very complex. So the details of it aren't worth trying to really figure out. In short, it's possible to have a lot of combinations of numbers and badge rankings.

Wedge in Red2
9 October 2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Sanjuro
Actually, I noticed that I have more posts, a higher level, and have been a member to the boards longer than some of the people that have my exact same badge ranking.

So once again I ask, whats up.B)

Rank Badge is based on both time and number of posts (plus possibly lots of other things :D). However, your title is based purely on number of posts (as far as I can tell). As you can see, you and I have the same rank badge, yet I have customised my user text (as I have over 200 posts - the threshold to customise your text) while you're still a skilled player with only 93.

So, what has likely caused what you are observing is that some of the "new players" haven't posted much but have been registered many months, resulting in a good badge but the rank "new player". Other users might have been on a lesser amount of time but have posted a lot more, resulting in the same rank badge but the title of "skilled" or "experienced" players.

Hope that helps explain things...:)

Jon

Sanjuro
10 October 2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2

As you can see, you and I have the same rank badge, yet I have customised my user text (as I have over 200 posts - the threshold to customise your text) while you're still a skilled player with only 93.

So, what has likely caused what you are observing is that some of the "new players" haven't posted much but have been registered many months, resulting in a good badge but the rank "new player". Other users might have been on a lesser amount of time but have posted a lot more, resulting in the same rank badge but the title of "skilled" or "experienced" players.

I know that I have to have over 200 posts in order to customize my tag line, that is really not what I am concerned with.

However, I have a lot more posts than some new players that have only been on the holonet 6 months longer than me. Are you guys telling me that just being a member 6 months before me is enough to give new players the same badge ranking as me?B)

scottyboy
10 October 2002, 07:13 AM
If you think about it... it doesn't really matter! It's not like Moridin or Armage Bedar, or Grimace, or the Admiral, or all the other moderators and administrator's, are going in and randomly giving people rank badges. I'm sure that it's a formula that's the same for everyone. Those people you are referring to obviously have something or have done something that you have not. I'm not trying to "Flame" anyone here. But the system is fair. It's fair because it's the same for everyone. Maybe those people are just more active members than you are. Maybe in the time they have been members they have posted more times than you have in the time that you have been a member. Kind of like a ratio or something. Like I said, I'm not trying to insult anyone here by any means. But I think that a couple of moderators have posted in this thread already. And even they said that there are too many things that go into it, to explain it here. To me... I take that as, THEY AREN'T GOING TO EXPLAIN IT! If someone else has the same rank as you, who cares! Ok, I know that I've really sounded like I'm flaming people here, but I really didn't mean it to come across that way. I sincerely apologize if it did. I'm going to stop now, before I stick my foot even farther down my throat.

Jedi_Staailis
10 October 2002, 07:25 AM
Are you guys telling me that just being a member 6 months before me is enough to give new players the same badge ranking as me?
Time registered has a large effect, and given the relatively short history of the boards, six months is a long time.

There's a lot going into the formula that we don't understand. I've seen users who have higher rank (badges) than I do and I have "better" statistics in every single listed category. But it doesn't really matter, because in general, rank badges correspond to how much "weight" a person has on the Holonet. The users who have been around a long time, post frequently, and have high user ratings are usually the ones who have the huge badges that draw attention to their posts (which is the whole idea of rank badges, and why I find them much better than letting users choose an avatar). In the end, however, most people will still read your post, and decide for themselves whether your contributions are helpful.

There are two reasons this secret formula is nice. First, no one knows the system, so they can't adjust their posting habits to maximize their badge with the least amount of effort. There aren't going to be any munchkins on these boards! Second, when a person does get a new badge, it's always a surprise. After a post, when the web browser goes back to the post and the rank badge has changed, it's always a fun surprise.

Emperor Xanderich II
10 October 2002, 12:02 PM
In the end, however, most people will still read your post, and decide for themselves whether your contributions are helpful.

That is what is hoped for. I suppose the rank badge is a reward for loyalty to the holonet and gives people the chance to get a feel that they belong to something that is more than just a static noticeboard. I guess...

I think it is a good system, [said as Emp. Xan points at his nice shiny rank badge] :p :D

Jan Tolbara
2 November 2002, 04:30 PM
I concur with the Emperor on this. However, I also see the badge system as not only a reward system, but an incentive system. If users want to see their rank increase, they will work toward it by posting more messages and trying to help others on the HoloNet. As a matter of fact, I am curious as to how long it will be before my rank increases, and I've been here for almost a year.

I'm sure that the number of posts and the length of time on the HoloNet plays into which rank you hold. But, I'm pretty sure other things come into play with that as well, such as the number of times per day you post and your rating (when other users rate you). I can't state with absolute certainty. (Heck, I work for SWRPGNetwork Conversions, and I don't even know the formula!) I DO know that it's a very complex formula and best left in the hands of the few that do know.

The thing to do is just continue to post to the HoloNet, be a good and helpful poster and have fun while you're here. With that kind of approach, you can't go wrong. Eventually, your rank will increase. Trust me! :)

ElfWord
13 November 2002, 03:14 PM
If anyone is interested in my own personal observations on how ranking increases, PM me.