PDA

View Full Version : Ack! No!

Master Droid
10 October 2002, 05:07 AM
I GM a bounty hunter type group of PCs. On my last mission, they had gone to Kamino, and in a series of events, a Jedi characters holocron was stolen, and 2 players went after the thief, while 2 stayed on a certain Star Destroyer. So group A went to a jungle planet in search of the holocron ( which they found), while group B decided to go to Ubertica. So, how do I get them back together?:(

Random Axe
10 October 2002, 09:37 AM
Well, don't know what or where Ubertica is, but I assume for sake of argument that it's a long way off from this other jungle planet.

Why did they "decide" to go to this other place? To follow the Imperials? Because the ISD agreed to ferry them to their next target?

I would say have a session or two with the two separate groups by themselves. Have fun with their trepidations that they don't know where their other friends are and might not see them again.

Then the one group (the holocron-hunters) happen to stop off at another world (perhaps following the directions of the holocron) which houses some (Rebels? Separatists? What era are you gaming in?), whom the PC's are persuaded to help. Simultaneously the second group with the Imperials swoop in on that same world to bomb the planet or city where the rebels/separatists are hiding.

Give some clue to the orbiting PCs that the holocron-hunting PCs are on the planet and are in danger from the bombardment. Then let the merriness ensue.

LiquidSaber
10 October 2002, 09:31 PM
Alas, do not Fret! Fretting is for PCs.... :p

Have fun with them, they have to play their characters without knowing where or what the other half is doing. Sure it tends to slow things down but THEY not YOU has to figure out a way to get back together. Best of all, whacky accidental get togthers are orchestrated by you so have fun with them. Random Axe had a good idea there!

Just sit back and ejoy the show as they scramble to find one another...:)

Paul Klein
10 October 2002, 11:53 PM
Why do you need them back together?

Personally, I like spliting up the group. It happens all the time in the movies/books, and (for me at least), helps gives my games more of an authentic Star Wars feeling.

*shrug*

P-Za Lord
11 October 2002, 02:34 AM
If you can handle keeping the groups seperate do so until they get back together in their own time.

Party splits can be fun, but extended ones can ruin things. For instance, if you only play once a week with everyone and one group has to sit in the other room, while you spend half an hour with the other group before switching off.

If the group in the Star Destroyer have not yet reached Ubertica, you can have them slowed down by an attack (not the best choice since it's a Star Destroyer, though rebels might try) that cripples some engines but not much else. Or more likely, there is an attack elsewhere and the Star Destroyer is forced to go there first.

The captain of the Star Destroyer could offer to have a Lambda Shuttle take them to meet the other group on the jungle planet.

If they are already on Ubertica, then you'll probably have to wait til they finish what they are there to do and the groups will merge again 'naturally.' Or as Random Axe said, have the holocron lead the group on the jungle planet on a path most likely to meet with the others.

If they already know what was on the original holocron, you can make it an entirely different holocron they didn't notice at first. "Hey, wait a second! This isn't my holocron!" or have it a be a fake holocron and clues that the real one perhaps got away. In the direction of the other group.

Or after they leave the jungle planet they meet a passing transport. They can communicate or not, but either way the transport heads into hyper-space unless prevented. Then, after it leaves have them all roll the d20 without saying why. Assuming at least one rolls high, you can turn to him or her and say, "Hmm, something about that transport is bothering you. You just can't recall it though. If only you'd gotten a better look at it." Assume it's some petty smuggler or something, but if they try and track the jump or follow, it leads to near the other group. Perhaps the smuggler gets intercepted by the Star Destroyer and they want to know why that ship is convoying so close to a known smuggler. Best submit to a search.
"Hey what's this? A holocron eh?"

Master Droid
21 October 2002, 12:23 PM
OK, they are now back together. The holocron group found the holocron, and the other group hypertranceivered that group, and they met on Uba VI.:)

Lord Darth Ane
1 November 2002, 12:06 PM
Ever seen "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels"? Just because they're on different sides of the galaxy doing different things doesn't mean that their actions aren't intertwined. If you want them back together, all you need to do is make their goals lead them back to the same spot. As the GM, the reason is up to you (although, "Because I said so!" is just as unsatisfying now as it was when your mother said it), and can be as plausible or as far-fetched as you want.

Prof. Tricky
1 November 2002, 12:59 PM
I was a PC,but MD(our GM)made us goe through a series of retarded and inexplicable puzlles,so my PC gave up and headed for Ubertica.(Note:Since then,that GM has had every player quit his campaign:D )

Master Droid
7 November 2002, 04:28 AM
Prof.Tricky, you know those are lies, but I am not going to flame.
Still, posting like that, why do you think your rating is low.:raised: