PDA

View Full Version : Where do all these "Darth" names come from anyway?

Its2bad4u
19 October 2002, 02:38 PM
Are they from the language of the Sith or what?

Just curious if anyone knows or has any ideas

Rouge8
19 October 2002, 02:41 PM
Bane, Maul, VAder, Sideuos, Kaan, those are sith.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
19 October 2002, 02:51 PM
I remember something that 'Darth' in the Sith language means 'Lord.' That's why they are also referred to as 'Lord Maul,' 'Lord Vader,' etc.

But I could be wrong.

Marusame
19 October 2002, 03:17 PM
I thought that the first ones name was Darth and after he died it became a title... or something like that. I've only flipped through the DSSB.

Jedi_Staailis
19 October 2002, 04:17 PM
Darth is an abbreviation for "DARk lord of the siTH," if I recall correctly. As for the name attached to it, I'm not sure where that comes from. I suspect that the Sith takes on a name that is designed to induce fear in those who hear it. This name is probably reflective of the Sith's personality (and what sense Lucas wants us to have of the villain).

For example, the name Sidious is more fitting with the sneaky, hooded figure that manipulates the Senate. Maul is appropriate for the villain that ends up fighting with the Jedi.

Lord Kjeran
19 October 2002, 04:45 PM
Chello!

Then there's the whole thing about Vader sounding similiar to the German "Vater" or father.

Tony

Zanus
19 October 2002, 07:00 PM
Vader = Vapour?
could be taken different ways of coarse, good or bad. I was thinking along the lines of water vapour rising and Ani's last name. I know, it is really streatching for it.

MasterRendal
19 October 2002, 07:20 PM
Very interesting topic. I wonder where they got their last names from?

KenobiJim
21 October 2002, 09:36 PM
In our group we kind of figured that Vader and Sidious are derived from Invader and Insidious. Then we kind of went off on that...

Darth--

Vader - Invader
Sidious - Insidious
Visible - Invisible
Coherent - Incoherent
Capable - Incapable
Sight - Insight
Credible - Incredible
Side - Inside

This conversation lasted for a while...

Reed
22 October 2002, 08:25 AM
The Darth was derived from Darth Bane. Darth Bane was his actual name and he was the Sith Lord that started that "only two" thingie. After he started the new Sith way every Sith Lord afterward, as a way of paying respect to Darth Bane takes on his name as a title showing their alignment with the Sith. The second word in their name is ment to give an idea of their personality.

Another thing to think about is Darth is a latin word for dark

Sidious - Insidious
Vader - Invader, also is latin for father (Darth Vader - Dark Father)
Maul - smash, cripple, maim (basically a scrapper)
Tyranus - tyrant, dictator (a charismatic leader, like Hitler)

Ravager_of_worlds
1 November 2002, 06:06 AM
I'm running a group of SIth Apprentices who thought they got to pick their own names. Being a particularly evil GM, i told them through their master they had to earn it. This being said, they all wait eagerly to take their Sith Trials, where they will win their name.

i figured since the jedi had trials then the Sith did too- just a lot more vicious and potentially fatal.

whether the sith lords in Lucas vision did that is another thing. I kind of took for granted their parents didn't name them this way, but rather their master renamed the apprentice. this would be similar to the way kings and queens were renamed after previous- they had a given name and then they had their royal name. I could be wrong though.

DirkGreystoke
1 November 2002, 05:43 PM
This is an interesting question, and depending on how you look at it....this is one that will never be anwered to satisfaction. Much like the idea of what race Yoda is, and who trained Palpatine/Sideous in the arts of the dark side of the Force. Obviously Darth is a sort of "sir" title for a Sith Lord. From the films we can gather no more than that. If you go to the EU, your answers are still a stab in the dark at best. There is merit to Darth being short for dark lord of the sith, but we don't really know that for sure. Personally, I just think it is a name Lucas came up with back in the day...and he just threw it is cause it sounded cool. As for how you incoporate this into the RPG, that is up to you. I like the idea of them having to earn their "Darth" title.

Its2bad4u
2 November 2002, 11:17 AM
Yeah so far everything that everyone has said has been equally interesting.

coolcosh
9 November 2002, 06:04 AM
I agree with Jedi_Staalis with the DARk lord of the siTH. i heard that somewhere but cant remember where. as for vader, i believe it is the dutch word for father.

Wedge Antilles, Rogue Leader
11 November 2002, 02:39 PM
I agree that "Darth" is probably a Sith word. I'd guess that it is synonomus with "Lord," since most of the Darths are also called lord,
i. e. Lord Vader, Lord Maul, etc...

To raise an additional point, why wasn't Exar Kun called "Darth." That points to the earlier idea of Darth Bane being an honorary title originally from Darth Bane.

Finally, Rogue8s earlier post mentioned "Bane, Maul, VAder, Sideuos, Kaan, those are sith." Who's Kaan?

Rouge8
11 November 2002, 05:45 PM
Kaan was one of the lords at Ruusan. The Brotherhood was led by Lord Kaan, who pronounced all of the Sith lords.

mojo1701
1 December 2002, 11:16 AM
All of these possible explanations, and they all sound good, but i've got another one:

Maybe George had a close friend, or an evil teacher who had the name Garth, and was also asthmatic (therefore, the heavy breathing)

MasterRendal
2 December 2002, 12:31 AM
The use of Latin for names sounds like it makes the most sense. Darth meaning Dark is appropriate and makes more sense. The Name Vader meaning father is too perfect. The Dark lords of the Sith is too far reaching and sounds almost ridiculous by comparison. Good job researching Reed!

grizzly
9 December 2002, 03:36 AM
I recall one of the behind the scenes things where GL himself said that for Vader he wanted a name to give the idea of "Dark Father" and came up with Darth Vader. Whether he went for alternate languages to come up with it, he didn't say.

da_gm
18 December 2002, 07:18 PM
Yes, i have heard that too, if i remember correctly i actually saw an interview with GL in wich he said that he intended for Vaders name to sound like Darth Vader.

I also have to agree with the idea that the title of darth was introdused by Bane. Ive read the whole DSSB, and none of the sith are called darth prior to his rule of two.

Jaggard
21 December 2002, 01:14 PM
I think I know anyway. You see it's one of many ways to refer to a race in our mythology. The race is the Fey (probably the unsealies [sp?]), called the sihde spelled in at least five different ways; also called the sith. Now if you look through star wars you find several things like this, unfortunately I can't remember anymore that I discovered in the past but I'll go looking through my library of strange books.

mojo1701
21 December 2002, 04:40 PM
I also have another idea:

What if Darth is a word for something like Lord, or King, or Ruler, or something along those lines in Sith?

Dark Pheonix
21 December 2002, 05:10 PM
Mebbe he thought he was too good?