PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Space

smokn_willie
23 October 2002, 11:28 AM
Here is an interesting problem I have been mulling over all afternoon. I was looking at a sector map a friend of mine emailed me and I thought it was pretty impressive, complete with hyperspace routes and all. When I noticed he had some of these routes as being restricted I asked how he was going to play that. He said unless you have military clearance you can't get the information to get in there. I threw my two cents in and said that you should just increase the difficulty of the astrogate check as you can't just dial up and get military routes. Doeas any one out there have any ideas.

Jedi_Staailis
23 October 2002, 11:38 AM
Without proper navigational data of what the space inside this area looks like, any hyperspace jump would be risky. However, there are ways around this. First, old data on this area of space may exist, and could be used to make a rough approximation of the location of the hazards currently. Also, there are probably some less than legal informants selling hyperspace routes into restricted areas. After all, they're restricted, so there must be something valuable inside.

The other side of the coin is that there are likely to be unpleasant surprises waiting for the unauthorized ship to stop by. Space mines, arrarys or sensor sensor satellites and fighter patrols are all directed against potential intruders. Beyond these, there are also other dangerous situations that PCs can stumble into when they enter restricted space. They could drop out of hyperspace at a fleet staging point, with dozens of capital warships collected, or come out of hyperspace near the targets of a live fire exercise.

Marusame
23 October 2002, 01:38 PM
They could drop out of hyperspace at a fleet staging point, with dozens of capital warships collected, or come out of hyperspace near the targets of a live fire exercise.

LOL, I love that. There's a reason the area is restricted and it isn't always going to lead them something good.

*goes off to incorporate that...*

Hey, for REALLY sensitive places, what if the government itself put fake maps out to lure the people who would try to get in into traps, like mentioned above. (the fleet that is) An idea worth playing with me thinks.

Darklighter
23 October 2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis
Without proper navigational data of what the space inside this area looks like, any hyperspace jump would be risky. However, there are ways around this. First, old data on this area of space may exist, and could be used to make a rough approximation of the location of the hazards currently. Also, there are probably some less than legal informants selling hyperspace routes into restricted areas. After all, they're restricted, so there must be something valuable inside.

Jedi_Staailis makes some excellent points here. I think the astrogation roll should be allowed, but higher. Just how high would depend on the amount of background information the navigator has access to, and could generate adventures as the characters seek information that would allow them to navigate these restricted routes. Some old data is likely, given the age of galactic civilization. You (or whoever is GM) may require more to ensure a good chance at (relatively) safe passage.

On a more general note, I'm not a big believer in telling characters they can't do something. I'd rather make it clear to them the kinds of odds they face, and have them make better decisions, or do the work necessary to improve the odds. The difficulty number they face will be reflective of their choices - whether they be wise or foolish.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Hyberion
23 October 2002, 03:44 PM
I had a slight problem in one of my last sessions where a character decded he wanted to do something that was a BAD idea.... I gave him the "Are you Sure" message which is basically my way of saying its not going to work out the way you like... well he decided to do it anyway and got one of his fellow PC's killed for it. He basically threw a Grenade taped to a small fuel canister into a room that not all the players had a chance to get out of yet, and that player was unconscious at the time. In the end it worked out because the player that died needed to go off to college anyway and wont be back for another 8 months, but still was not a good idea... but If you let them do something once then they will learn to think (even if it is quickly) about what they are about to do... so they may not do something like it again.