Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That is it...I'm tired of them!!!

Skilled Player

Angry That is it...I'm tired of them!!!

I'm getting sick and tired of the whole Midichlorian thing. They were STUPID in the movie and they are STUPID now. Why did Lucas taint such a cool mystical idea like the force and turn it into mere science? Does everything have to be explained with science? People were happy before when it was just this mystical force that was generated by all life, permeated all life and bound the darn universe together. Weren't you all? I was. So when I heard that line in that movie, the only thing that I could say was WTF?!? I'm figuring that it was those people that want to take references of magic out of everything. You know who I am talking about.

Some times I thing these prequel movies were a bad Idea...Le Sigh.

Peace out
    Da Pookster

Nerf Warrior Extraordinaire

A while back, I presented an alternate explanation of why midichlorians were in Episdoe I, and received an overwhelming number of replies. There is quite a bit more to this subject than meets the eye. The thread can be viewed here.

New Player

[deleted]
    Last edited by Armage Bedar; 1 November 2002 at 07:03 PM.

I wasn't overly thrilled with the midi-chlorian concept at first myself. But, after I stepped back and looked at it from several point of views (most notably as an aspiring author), I realized that it opens up a ton of storylines.

And another aspect; it said midi-chlorians are what enable people to touch and manipulate the Force. It never said how they worked, or why, or what it was that enabled the midi-chlorians to act as keys to the Force. That still leaves some mystery, and maybe, just maybe, a little magic.

Online Journal Managing Editor ***By the community... For the community!***

Well, I must agree that I am not too wild about the midichlorian idea. I was completely content with it just being a "mystical" force that bound everything together. But I must say that it WAS a very creative idea on Lucas's part. It would have been better if he had just left it alone, but he didn't. And IMHO he did the best he could to make EVERYONE happy. Unfortunately, you gotta crack a few eggs to make breakfast, right?

Oh, and I'd like to add, Prof. Tricky, that's the kind of comments that are getting you the low ratings. Just to let you know.

New Player

Yeah, but what's to stop some evil dark jedi genius from extracting a vial full of midichlorians and just before he goes up against yoda, injecting himself and becoming UBER-DARTH!!

Telecommunist

Originally posted by John Chance
    Yeah, but what's to stop some evil dark jedi genius from extracting a vial full of midichlorians and just before he goes up against yoda, injecting himself and becoming UBER-DARTH!!
    They don't work like that, just as injecting yourself with blood from a strong man doesn't make you stronger. With genetic tampering one possibly could up someone's midichlorian count, but it would take a lot of planning, and probably have to from birth. And so far, Star Wars has avoided genetics in all areas (of the movies) other than the clones.

I was hoping the midichlorians were part of the overall arc of the prequels, something that would be explained through Episode 2 and Episode 3. As it is, whever it be because there was no arc or because of vocal fan reaction, I think it will remain one of the unresolved sore spots in Episode 1.

Rules Lawyer

Originally posted by Codym
    They don't work like that, just as injecting yourself with blood from a strong man doesn't make you stronger. With genetic tampering one possibly could up someone's midichlorian count, but it would take a lot of planning, and probably have to from birth. And so far, Star Wars has avoided genetics in all areas (of the movies) other than the clones.
    Not to mention the fact that the pursuit of which will ALWAYS bring failure and abomination.

Ever read Frankenstein? Same principle at work.

Or Raistlin in Dragonlance for all you gamers out there.

Free you mind from modern thinking. Midi-chlorians are good.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

The Men's Prayer - The Red Green Show

I have a Star Wars.com blog. Look for it under Master Dao Rin

Skilled Player

At first the idea seemed a little odd to me to say the least.

However, from certain points of view I can see where they fit in.

The biggest question is why are some people sensitive and others not?

One, not everyone can manipulate the force, otherwise the Emperor would have had to kill everyone in the galaxy, which would have made for a very small Empire, sicne everyone is a potential threat. A one man Empire isn't very fun. This is what many of my friends believe that anyone can become a Jedi with enough training.

Some people are stronger in the force than others. Some people while they have the talent can only go so far. Similar to the NFL. Some people are great and are superstars, others are career special teamers. While both are great feats not everyone can do this, otherwise I would be in the NFL.

I think Lucas was looking for some measuring stick, and he created one. Everything has the midichlorians, not everyone has the supernatural ability to harness the power that they seem to tap into, for lack of a better word.

It is still mystical because it seems that they understand to a point how this works, or they think they do, but they don't know for sure.
    Player1: "I got a 9 does that hit?"
    DM: "Uh, no. Not even close."
    Player2: "Dude, what is your to bab?"
    Player1: "Seven."
    Player2: "This is like the fifth time you've missed that goblin. Is that the die you've been using?" (points to a d20)
    Player1: "Yeah, that one."
    Player2: (picks up d20 he pointed to earlier and throws it into the hallway and hands Player1 another d20) "Here try this one. Maybe you'll stop sucking."

Three days later...
    DM (As he walks through house) Hmmm, what's this? (Picks up d20). Oh yeah (chuckle).

Strangely enough the first part of this process was repeated the next gaming session.

Captain of the Star Destroyer "Vengeance"

There's a philosophical concept called "the God of the gaps"- it asserts that we ascribe all that we don't understand as "God interferes" or "God takes a part". What we don't understand, we ascribe to the supernatural.

we used to ascribe the sun coming up each day Apollo drivng his chariot across the sky... that thunder and lightning was caused by Zeus' anger or the Olympians partying on Mount Olympus... that the river floods were caused by Tiamat... that X was caused by Y. We accept the explanation and move on.

Sometimes, when knowledge and science uncovers the machinery at work, we lose something of ourselves. It really isn't Apollo but our earth turning... it's really electromagnetic discharges caused by ion distribution in the clouds of high and low pressure cells... the river flooded because of spring rains and accumulation down the mountainside. We have a new explanation, a better model of our universe.

Some people vehemently hate the newest models, because it disrupts their own aesthetic view of the universe. the early church was like this to much of the scientific finds of the enlightenment era- but Galilleo got his due becuase he snubbed the pope, not because of his work. you don't snub the pope in the 1500s in impudence. especially since he bankrolled galileo in the first place... i digress.

perhaps a bit of history can help us understand why we in the present act a certain way. the midichlorians may be a better model, but it isn't necessarily the last. after all, it wasn't until Kepler that we got elliptical orbits in our solar system's model.
    No longer satisfied blowing droids apart, the cyborg Jawa ordered his very own "Little Tyke Death Star" kit from Imperial Toy Makers

"But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me." óGeorge W. Bush, summing up his first year in office, Washington, D.C., Dec. 20, 2001

Ewok Warrior

I think that midichlorians are pointless, and it's obvious that most people find them completley unnecessary when everyone and their neighbor has their own rationalization on why they exist.

I personally like the midi-chlorians, and am tired of whiney fanboys complaining about them and how they ruined "what they thought the Force should be." The problem is that people look at midi-chlorians from a biased perspective. The only point of midi-chlorians in Episode I was to show that there was a knowledge basis for the Force...that it was understood quite well. This is a stark contrast to what we see in the classic trilogy, where knowledge of the Force and midi-chlorians is null and void. So dont look at midi-chlorians for more than what they are....a mere plot device. Besides, in the end these are Lucas' movies...and you can always write your own story or rent a different DVD this weekend.
    "Someday I will become the most powerful Jedi ever." ~ Anakin Skywalker

Thumbs down

If you notice Technopooka, there is no mention of "Midichlorians" in AOTC. I suspect Mr. Lucas realized it was a bad idea too and abandoned it altogether. I also suspect we will not encounter any Midichlorian dialoge or subject matter in EP.3. If all goes well, George will solve our little problem for us. Food for thought.
    Frank V Bonura - STAR WARS Deckplans Alliance Founder

Default Another 2 credits chipped in.

If Uncle George abandons it, it'd be a waste. I was hoping in Episode 3, those who believe in existence of midichlorians are gonna get some sort of reality check.

Think about it: In TPM Obi-Wan believed in midichlorians. In ANH he doesn't mention it at all. It would be easy to say midichlorians are nothing but a bad retcon.

However, what if Lucas planned that in Episode 3, a paradigm shift in the ways Jedi view the Force occurs. Maybe someone, Jedi or Sith, tries to manipulate the Force through midichlorians and fails, eg. trying to kill midichlorians to remove someone's Force sensitivity. Then they realize these microscopic things are NOT the source of the Force but actually an energy field that yadda yadda yadda.

that or maybe midichlorians just don't get mentioned again because we don't have obi-wan etc looking for a student. jedi don't strike me like the type to go "my midichlorians bigger then yours"

Thread Information