Thread: Dietz: Brutalizing Star Wars

New Player

Default Dietz: Brutalizing Star Wars

I realize this is a bit of a ways off, but is anyone else excited at the prospect of more Dietz work ? Granted, he had a few problems in the Dark Forces books, but I think most of the problems involved the certain events he was forced to add. The bits he did on his own were great, and really emphasised the "war" aspect of Star Wars (Kyle's last training mission still one of my favorite parts of any EU story). Considering the new book has to do with PoWs, I'm especially anxious to see just how horrific the Clone Wars actually get.
    "Call sign Bookmaker - don't ask."
    ~Bookmaker221 (Later crushed by truck.)

Telecommunist

I agree with you on Dietz's depictions of war time and training, but the biggest complaint I had with the series was the characterizations of certain established personalities, and the lack of depth to those he created himself. Now this could have just been the format of the novellas (the plots of all three of them were also rather fractured,) but having never read anything else by him, I cannot really say.

Hardcore Player

If the characters are as shallow as Codym thinks, I wouldn't want to read any of it. One of the things I love the most about the SW books is the character development.
    Uh-oh, another famous Elfword Idea (TM) - Talon Razor 'GM'

Section Editor of [color=dark-blue]The Underworld Sourcebook[/color]
    "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
    Leader of The A&EG Supplement series

Ewok Warrior

I didn't like that guys books because they ddin't feel like Star Wars. People drank "beer" and a character sent an "e-mail", it just kinda took me out of the Star Wars unviverse for a few seconds each time one of those aforementioned things popped up.

Immoderator

Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
    I didn't like that guys books because they ddin't feel like Star Wars. People drank "beer" and a character sent an "e-mail", it just kinda took me out of the Star Wars unviverse for a few seconds each time one of those aforementioned things popped up.
    There are beers in Star Wars. Also known a "local stuff." The e-mail thing was very annoying, though, I agree.

I'm also in agreement about his overall ability to capture Star Wars as weak. I read the three books just to have read the three books (and still look to the games as the true points of story). Not because they were any good.

As far as writing about the horrors of wartime, you may want to pick up some of the non-Star Wars work of authors like R.A. Salvatore and Michael Stackpole. These guys got asked to write Star Wars for reasons, all of them very good. In fact, trained psychologists agree that their ability to capture the psychological struggle of characters is uncanny.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

Thread Information