Thread: Need Ideas for Jedi Campaign

Default Need Ideas for Jedi Campaign

I have just started writing a campaign for all jedi set a year after Luke Skywalker starts the jedi academy. I can not think of any ideas for this campaign. I want the campaign to get to the new jedi order era when the characters are 6-9th level. Any help would be appreciated.

Here are two of the characters. (The third player is undecided).

1st level Human Jedi Guardian (wants to take weapon master PrC)
    1st level Jedi Counselor (wants to be a jedi healer, hasn't decided on a species yet)

Thanks,

red5_5
    The Force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet. ~ Darth Vader

This is Red 5, I’m going in. ~ Luke Skywalker

Old timer....

Hmm, first level Jedi...

Well, you would probably need to find a reason to get them out from under the eyes of their Master for a while, otherwise you're likely to have a high level Jedi NPC around all the time and that could get tricky when creating situations of peril for your low level characters.

My thought would be to have them on a ship that gets lost or has some kind of mishap. Strand them somewhere remote and for whatever reason hard to find by would-be rescuers. Once you've isloated your PCs from help, then allow them to explore their new environment. What are the people like who live there? What do they think of Jedi or aliens? Have they perhaps met Jedi before and have some kind of history with them? Should the PCs travel in disguise for safety as they try to find a way offworld?

Maybe it's an unknown world that is cut off from the rest of the Galaxy due to some kind of unique hyperspace hazard. Maybe it's just not on the charts anymore?

As they explore and find out about this new world, add a level of intrigue. Why is it not on the charts? Is it possible the reason they crashed was not entirely accidental? What if there was someone in control of this place who can come and go at will?

Here's where you havce the chance to weave in possible recurring adversaries. Over the course of the first few adventures the PCs could figure out some of what is going on on this mysterious world and have an encounter with a villain. Eventually they'll either find their way off world or be rescued (better if they do it themselves), but hopefully you'll have found a few interesting new threads from which to spin off a larger story by then. Your players should also have fairly clear ideas of what kind of characters they're then playing too.

This is just a loose set of ideas that could form the beginnings of a campaign skeleton. Perhaps there's something of merit here for you?

Best of luck!

Thanks for the help! This has started to get my imagination going again. I will have to start writing down these ideas I have.

red5_5
    The Force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet. ~ Darth Vader

Old timer....

You're most welcome. That was my hope. I look forward to reading them.

New Player

I have looked to Fantasy RPGs and fiction when creating adventures for low-level Jedi. Sending the PCs on a "simple errand" is a classic plot device. The errand starts out fine and then goes haywire. Or it just gets fragged from the beginning- the shuttle crashes after a hyperspace accident.
    =============================
    "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

-One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

New Player

Some specific details-

I recently had first level Jedi Apprentices start their campaign by retrieving some supplies and delivering some messages on a planet a sector or two away. The PCs deliver one of their messages to an old friend of their master, a retired star pilot. His daughter is the PCs age and quickly becoming an accomplished pilot herself (ENTER PC or NPC). Through the course of their errands, the party comes to the notice of a dark side force cult. The cult attempts to kidnap the PCs during their meeting with another old friend of their master. Said old friend is a prominent leader of the community and gets kidnapped instead. PCs learn victims of said cult are sacrificed. PCs must rescue the kidnap victim after tracking down the cult members (only a few are Force Sensitives, the rest are just commoners) to their remote hideout (a seemingly derelict ship in orbit around the planet's moon.
    =============================
    "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

-One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Old timer....

I've been thinking some more about the 'lost planet' scenario over night.

How about something like this-

Players crash or are marooned on the siad planet. Some special ntaural properties keep the planet a secret. Maybe it's in a Nebula or something. Whatever the story, it's been forgotten.

When the players arrive there, they uncover that there's a secretive force-using cult hiding out here. They went to ground in this secret place back in the Old Republic days to hide from the Jedi who did not approve of some ofd their shady practices.

The first few adventures would feature run ins with this local group who have been out of the loop for so long, they didn't even know about the whole Empire and Galactic Civil war. The players would eventually beat them and discovera way off world, but they will face the leader of the cult who has stumbled upon some vast power within the world that enhances his abilities or gives him some kind of advantage.

Perhaps he escapes- whatever, the PCs discover that this power is linked to something hidden in the planet. In later adventures, the seed has been laid for them to discover that the world conceals a slumbering power that is quietly building its strength again.

The cult leader was able to tap in to this dormant alien power and use it to his ends, but he didn't eally understand the half of it. There's a much bigger threat growing here, and in fact the suposedly natural shroud that has kept the planet hidden for so long, was artificially created by whatever things are living deep below this old world.

This new power could be the source of some interesting campaign threads that eventually lead the players to the NJO in later years.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be writing this up in the next few weeks. I will post it on my site when I get them finished.

red5_5

Darth Fury

Lightbulb

Here's a thought that you could tie in with Reverends. Your young Jedi's master/s could fall during an encounter with some pirate/smugglers/sith /bad guys and then the villians flee in the Jedi's transport. This would probably have to happen while the padawans were out running erands, or something like that and upon their return the padawans witness the badguys leaving with their ship and find one of the masters who tells them briefly what happens before becoming one with the Force.

Veteran Player

Some Star Wars novels which may help. Try reading the Young Jedi Knights series which is based on Jacen and Jaina Solo and their friends (and Junior Jedi Knights which is based on Anakin Solo and Tahiri) and the Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest series.

They are all about young Jedi trying to learn their new abilities. The Young Jedi Knight series follows very closely to the exact timeline that you're looking into. The Jedi Apprentice (young Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon) and Jedi Quest (young Anakin and Obi-Wan) provide fun... diplomatic game types. If you use those four novel series for adventure hooks you'd have two campaigns worth of ideas, not to mention the ideas that you would come up with on your own while reading them.

Hope they help!
    May the Force be with you...
    --Jedi Cahlwyn--

Moderator: Rumours and Speculation

I've been running a campaign set at about the same time but with a mixed Jedi/non-Jedi group. Tentatively called "The Jedi Files", it's like Star Wars meets X-Files. The group is travelling around, trying to find Force Sensitives to join the academy, investigate any mysterious disturbances in the force, and trying to uncover any hints at the Jedi Orders past that were missed by the Emperor in his purge. Luke sent the Jedi out to "learn from the real world" - there is only so much a Jedi can learn from a classroom type environment.

As a first adventure, the group went to Ord Mantell on a simple "pick up" mission to get a holocron that had been discovered. Little did they know it was a Sith holocron, and a local would-be SIth snatched it from them, resulting in a chase on foot, then on speeders, then through space as the PC's tried to catch him.

The second adventure sent the PC's to the world of Questal in the Imperial Remnant, where they investigated rumours of an Imperial Moff with rumoured Dark Side powers - rebel dissidents on the planet had been found wandering the streets of the city, brain washed and catatonic (I think that's the word I'm looking for). It turned out it wasn't force powers at all...

Anyway, there are heaps of other ideas that were going to be played out, but the game is on hold at the moment as I'm overseas. Investigating ruined Jedi temples, rediscovering the planet Ilum, running the Crypt of Saalo Morn adventure (found on the Wizards website), stuff like that.

Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas.

Jon
    Last edited by Wedge in Red2; 3 March 2003 at 02:11 AM.
    "What the hell are you waiting for?"
    Encore - Jay Z feat. Linkin Park

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be working on these adventures.

red5_5

Thread Information