Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use the Force, really!

Question Use the Force, really!

While watching ROTJ, I came across the Rancor scene. In it, Luke dispatches the Rancor by throwing a skull at the controls for the gate. My question is why didn't Luke just use the Force to push the button. Why risk death by throwing an object when telekinesis is a sure thing?

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

In Heir to the Empire, Leia struggles with telekinetic control of a light switch, the explanation being that in some ways, fine control over something like a switch or a button is even harder than moving around a big rock. A lot of that can be chalked up to Leia's Force ability not being as strong as Luke's but that's one explanation.

Another explanation is that by that point in Return of the Jedi, the only time we ever saw Luke move anything telekinetically is when he was able to calm himself and concentrate just on the object he was trying to move. Perhaps, in the heat of battle with the Rancor, Luke wasn't able to concentrate on the button well enough to give it a push.

experienced groundpounder

besides, who's to say he didn't use telekinesis to help the skull hit the target? More than likely he did.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Character Portrait Artist

We also see Darth Maul, an accomplished Force User, launch a chunk of droid at a door control to open it. Maybe, as Ubiqtorate says, it's a matter of the dificulty of fine motor control. And I agree with gmjabreson. He probably used the Force to help him hit his target.
    Modesty is like Dark Side Points. Everyone has their own opinion on where to draw the line.

Player/author/illustrator for Tam Dawncaller in Star Wars: Tapestry

A Young Falleen Jedi

I think that Ubiqtorate, gmjabreson and Jedi_Shadow explained it pretty well. I think he used the force, but not entirely. He wanted to be sure it hit of course, but found the rock at his feet so he picked it up and threw it. Maybe the controls had to be broken to work.

On a side note, in a little short adventure I played the other day I broke off a piece of rock using the force and used that to open the cell that I was in. Kinda fun to do and it didn't require the fine motor skills with the force of pushing a button.
    Tonyx

How many times do I have to tell you, "Push the BUTTON!!!" Sorry it's from Monster's Inc, little mini movie after the movie, Mike's new car. But Anyways, back on topic. I remember that line about the fine motor skills, but then it makes me wonder about the book Crystal Star, where the kids try to ignite Hethrir's "buttonless" lightsaber. Sounds like a contradiction with Authors again.... Doh.
    And yet Vader was able to manipulate the controls of the Carbon Freezing Chamber with the force. Did anyone Catch that? Was that because of his Jedi Levels, or because of the Dark Side in him?
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Peccator out of residence

Default Irregardless of whatver,

Luke threw something at the controls because GL thought that would look better.

He was right, too. IMO.
    If you want to contact me, a private message will work. I am currently on hiatus, but I will respond.
    Featured Quote: “The trouble is that everyone talks about reforming others and no one thinks about reforming himself.”
    St. Peter of Alcántara

PS: "'Psych' for short. Not Psycho. No o, oh no, no o." Ronin

A Young Falleen Jedi

I think Vader could do it because of his ability. It was also a faily large control switch, so it would not have been as hard to do.
    Tonyx

yeah, but what about the intricate workings of the innards of a lightsaber? Hethrir, who I don't care what anyone says, was not up to Vader's level, but can turn on a lightsaber by manipulation of the insides?
    I know, I know, its EU. Simple answer to why Vader could do it, was Vader Rocks.

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

Perhaps Hethrir had focused on that sort of fine telekinetic control, at the expense of his other Force powers. Jedi often seem to have unique specializations, or unique weaknesses - like Jacen Solo's extraordinary empathic abilities, or Corran Horn's almost complete lack of telekinetic ability. Perhaps this was just Hethrir's one special skill.

A Young Falleen Jedi

Also, as she was the one to make the lightsaber perhaps it was something that she understood very well and knew exactly how to do it.
    Tonyx

Veteran Player

Originally posted by gmjabreson
    yeah, but what about the intricate workings of the innards of a lightsaber? Hethrir, who I don't care what anyone says, was not up to Vader's level, but can turn on a lightsaber by manipulation of the insides?
    I know, I know, its EU. Simple answer to why Vader could do it, was Vader Rocks.
    My rememberance of the novel, was that they were using the force to turn those LS's on, kind of like how Corran uses the force to 'fine tune' his in I jedi.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

right, I know they were using the force to turn them on. My question is, isn't the interior components inside a lightsaber, smaller than a light switch? But after I think about something Yoda said, "Judge me by my size do you? Size matters not." Leia just needs to fine tune her thinking and her abilities.

Character Portrait Artist

Leia just needs to fine tune her thinking and her abilities.
    Yeah, I can easily see it that way. Much like infants have difficulty exercising their fine motor skills, so too do less practiced Force users.

Tangentially, I think that's why the construction of your own lightsaber is a mark of Jedi knighthood. The slight calibrations of crystals and circuitry require fine tuned thinking and abilities.
    Modesty is like Dark Side Points. Everyone has their own opinion on where to draw the line.

Player/author/illustrator for Tam Dawncaller in Star Wars: Tapestry

Right, it's not Brute Force, but precise control that helps differentiate the Jedi from Sith.

Both have access to the amazing power of The Force (Dorsk 82 flung Daala/Pellaeon's strike force somewhere like 5 Parsecs from Yavin IV, but it cost him his life), but one of the main tenets of Jedidom is using the force only just enough to get the job done.

"Master Yoda would be upset if he knew I was doing this..."
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

Thread Information