Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1001ways to respond to an attack roll

Veteran Player

67. Too late, you realise that the deathly silence was NOT a good thing, as the supersonic slug pierces your shoulder, swinging you around in a 600 degrees spin. Then you get the boom of the sonic report.

68. You finaly acknoledge that your cowardly friend had it all along.. Dodging is always good, especially against trained opponents. Well, too late to change your ways, as you see the flurry of blaster bolts all aimed at your torso, coming your way.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Lord of the Expanse
    A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy: Your Closet!

Default Normal response...

69) GM, "You hit." PC, "Did I actually hit?" GM, "No. It barely missed him." PC, "but I thought you said I hit?" GM, "You hit but it was only vitality so it technically barely misses him." PC, "Oh." GM, "Yeah."

70) GM, "You hit." PC, "Did I actually hit?" GM, "Yes. Your blaster bolts hits him square in the chest burning deep into his flesh." PC, "Does he go down?" GM, "He drops like a rock and lands like a soggy bag of potatoes." PC, "Cool." GM, "Yeah."

The Last Mandalorian

Wink 20-20 kills, gotta love 'em

71. (Blaster) Your arm tightens as you hold your hand steady, firing red hot death. You watch children play with a little ball in the background throught the hole you put in (said targets head).

72. (Vibro dagger) As you tear deep into (said targets) waist, you feel the warm flood of thick liquid flowing on to your hand. (said target) wimpers in your ear from the pain, and breathes out his/her/it's last warm breath on your neck before (said target) falls to your feet.

73. (force grip) As you hear a *pop* *snap* from (said targets neck) you can see the excess blood turning (said targets) eyes bloodshot as (said target) grasps at invisible hands on their neck. Blood flows from (said targets) eyes as (said target) kneels from it's weakening resolve from it's sever loss of oxygen.

I'll put up more later, let me know if you guys like this or if you think it's too much, that'll make my decision to write more.
    Arcome
    Lost...but on a mission.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just take you down to their level, and then win with experience.

Some men have thousands of reasons why they can't do what they want. When all they need is one reason why they can.

Ruler of the Consortium Organization

74)As your flat fist connects upon his pathetic neck a snapping sound is heard and your opponent stuggles to draw a breath with his windpipe now shattered.
    Consortium Organization-524 universes under control and counting!

Canadian and proud of it!

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life." Kakashi Hatake

If I have a large group of enemies, I like to give the character who puts the last one down the option to describe the death. It works great and gets them to insert themsleves into the story more fully.

Last session, after they killed off all but one baktoid battle droids, Eek the Rodian put a blaster bolt into the very last one. I let him describe the demise. He came up with this: The blast struck it in the center of the chest. The droid wobbles a bit, but remains standing. The eyes flicker and shine. There is a low whine from the droid that increases to a loud squeal. Then the torso blows apart showering the area with parts.

Of course, he did it with great sound effects. Just another option.

Tocath

itty bitty living space!

75)

0WN3D!!!

I am the Waffler!

76) Blam! Whammo! Thwok! Whoosh! Bl...wait a sec, that's the old Batman TV show, sorry.

Seriously...

77) His eyes widen with shock as he looks down upon the smoking ruin that was his chest. A faint wheeze issues from his throat as he sags lifelessly to the cold stone floor.

78) He clutches the stump of his arm, still smoking from the wound, and notices his hand a few feet away, neatly cauterized by the thrumming blue blade now pointed at his chest. His head slumps with defeat as he resigns himself to his fate.

79) Sparks flying, the droid's servomotors whir in protest, it's scrambled citcuitry still attempting to respond. It's photoreceptors begin to fade and only fragemented Binary issues forth from it's vocoder.
    Johnny's fanfic links:
    Star Wars: Tales of the Cuy'val Dar - Old Soldiers Never Die
    ----------
    "It was my destiny to be here, in the box."
    - Naked Snake

Duct-tape Jedi Master of the Possum Order

For Vitality damage:

80) Blaster bolts fill the air around the wookie as she dives for cover. Rolling safely behind a burned out hunk of an air speeder, she breathes a sigh of relief and is instantly assailed by the pungent smell of singed fur.

81) The lightsaber sizzles through the air in front of your midsection as you jump back. Thinking that you did a fine job of dodging that attack, you pause for a second to wonder when you bought a ventilated shirt.

82) A sharp-eyed observer might have noticed several of your arm hairs falling to the floor after the last pass of the thugs knife.

For Wound damage:

83) The nauseating smell of burned fur fills the air as the wookie lands behind the burned out hunk of an air speeder. She locks eyes with you for an instant before they roll up in her skull and she topples to the ground, the blaster burn now clearly evident on her shoulder.

84) The lightsaber sizzles through the air in front of your midsection as you jump back. Thinking that you did a fine job of dodging that attack, you are suddenly proven wrong as the searing pain reaches your brain and nearly makes you black out.

85) Everyone around observes the bright spray of blood fill the air after the last pass of the thugs knife across your forearm.

And the critical fumble by a poor Ewok a party once knew:

86) Misunderstanding the party's directions, the Ewok points the butt end of the blaster at the storm troopers, sights down the barrel, and pulls the trigger.
    "Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati" (If all else fails, play dead)
    - Possum Lodge motto, The Red Green Show

Hunter of the Jedi Hunters

87) (VP damage vs. Yuuzhan Vong) The impact of your strike causes him to jolt back. He smiles with his slashed lips as the scortch mark/scratch/dent in his armor heals.

88) (Melee vs. Vong) Your lightsaber/vibroblade/vibroaxe/knife/staff/whatever connects solidly across his [insert body part here]. He screams, not in pain, but in the masochistic ecstasy typical of his vile race.

89) (Vong death from melee weapons).Your lightsaber/vibroblade/knife/spear slides cleanly through the crease of his armor, between his ribs, and into his vitals. "Curse you, infidel!" he rasps. He spews black blood across your shirt as he doubles over.
    Last edited by Kyle Pantrakahs; 13 November 2003 at 07:35 AM.
    "Aurora, I think now would be a good time to tell you that you're the most breathtaking beauty I ever saw in my life, and that I love you more than words can describe."
    ---Kyle Pantrakahs, to Aurora Concord as they were cornered by an elite platoon of Yuuzhan Vong warriors

I challenge the cult of the omnipotent state and defend the rights of the individual.

90) (Brawling vs. thugs) With a sharp flick of your wrist, you parry his jab and jerk your knee up between his legs. His eyes widen and he lets out and embarrassingly high-pitched cry as your patella connects solidly with his groin.

91) (Coup de grace) He comes to the spilt-second before you fire/bring down your melee weapon. Absolute terror fills the terrorist's eyes as you send him to the judgment of the next world.

92) (Instant death lucky hit) No sooner has he begun his charge than he is flung back head over heels by the screaming impact of your blaster bolt/bullet against his forehead. His lifeless eyes, wide and startled, stare crossed at the smoldering hole between them.
    Last edited by Kyle Pantrakahs; 13 November 2003 at 08:12 PM.
    "Aurora, I think now would be a good time to tell you that you're the most breathtaking beauty I ever saw in my life, and that I love you more than words can describe."
    ---Kyle Pantrakahs, to Aurora Concord as they were cornered by an elite platoon of Yuuzhan Vong warriors

I challenge the cult of the omnipotent state and defend the rights of the individual.

93) (Initial hit from flamer) The the scalding stream gouts forth from your weapon, kindling the traitor's jacket.

94) (Failed Reflex save vs. flamer) The flames spread, engulfing the turncoat in a consuming inferno. He screams pitifully and flails about, desperately rolling on the ground and slapping himself.

95) (Continued failed saves vs. flamer) The cries grow more shrill as he flings himself to the earth yet again. His broiling face looks up at you in agony, pleading for the mercy he refused to show to others. What's left of his eyes fill with belated contrition for his treason.

96) (Death from flamer) He wailed as one in hell, but now he knows it was merely a preview. The screaming fades as the insane rolling stops. The smell of burnt flesh and hair grows stronger as the dancing conflagration continues its feast on the motionless, blackened form. "I love the smell of burnt Peace Brigadiers in the morning," you think. "Smells like VICTORY!"
    Last edited by Kyle Pantrakahs; 13 November 2003 at 08:48 PM.

Registered User Terras Jadeonar & Raven's Avatar
    Twi'lek Maseuse room, Spa Resort on Ryloth

97. when reduced to 5WP, and failed a fort save ... the ol' classic: "Oww! I can't believe You just shot me!" Then the eyes look down then roll back and the body slumps to the ground... (knocked out)

98. PC: Neener Neener Neener! Ya missed me by a mile!
    GM: Your sure about that? Your now at 0 VP, 5WP and you just failed a fort save...
    Player: (looks at player sheet... then slaps forehead) DOH!!!!!!!!!! :O
    GM: And _____ goes sleepy-sleep for X rounds...

... and now for some recently happened actual game events.... Some rather traumatic & cinematic scenes... (the loss of a character...)

99. (a major loss of VP from 60 to near 0) From behind the alien console, Nileeta could only gasp as she watched in timeless horror, "TERRAS!!" she cried with fear. It happened so fast - he darted out... snapped off a few shots, then the turrets fired back as Terras was knocked hard onto the floor... The bolts were so close she couldnt tell if they hit him or not... He layed there motionless, and she stood, stranded behind the console, feeling so helpless, the world inside her sinking into a void of dispair. Nileeta sniffled into the comlink "striver, man down man down we've lost Terras!" as hot tears ran down her icecold cheeks.

She blinked her wattery eyes to clear them, with a stern resolve to make someone pay, when her heart skipped a beat - Terras begain to stir- "OMG! He's alive! He's alive!"

100. ... And then suddenly her console takes a powerful direct hit! A flash of light, and all you know is searing hot pain, your body thrust backwards from the blast, you begin to fall back wieghtlessly off the ledge and towards the ground far far below (a 100m drop)...

101. (the other character or gm in response to #100. above) Terras watched. Wide eyed. heart sank. helpless.... He tried to run forth, but two strong hands held him back. This day, should he live to remember, had just gone from bad to worst - one of those things that one usually wanted to forget with a tall bottle of ale. No weapons, feeling worse off than moments ago... There was little Terras could do...

102. (knockout - 0vp & down to 4wp and failed will save..., read by GM, as another char's thermal det is successfully thrown into a hole in the ceiling above, raining down debris) - It was Terras who took the worst beating. Perhaps he was stricken by greif, perhaps he was in shock, perhaps he was just too slow. Whatever it was it kept him from safety. He was hurt, in more ways than one, and he quickly ran out of steam. As he tired stones fell on him and knocked him to the deck. In that one instant the world went black for Terras, with only the after image of Nileeta falling from the cliff burned in his minds eye.
    Last edited by Terras Jadeonar & Raven; 14 November 2003 at 03:48 AM.
    ├ 3D Art @: Star Wars Artist Guild Member GalleryDeviantArt Gallery (New!)
    ├ Websites: Co-GM of: Q:TU Rebel #2 (Status: On Hold) ● "The Camp" (Status: Offline)
    ├ RPG Info: Signature #46: My Repertoire of RPGs (Updated: 09/09/2006)
    Please, just refer to me as TJR OR Terras. thx! (08/16/08)

103. (Force Lightning success) The rising spring of your fury reaches its peak, bursting forth in a crackling flood of brilliant kinetic energy!

104. (Blaster VP hit) The bolt sizzles over the top of his head as he ducks just in time. Upon closer inspection, one would see he has a new bald spot.

105. (PC wound hit from amphistaff) The world reels as the snakehead slashes across your jaw, venom seeping into the gash it created. All coordination leaves your limbs and you wobble haplessly as the toxin conquers your bloodstream.

106. (Successful Reflex save vs. thud bug) The gigantic insect speeds past as you deftly jump to the side. Its wickedly hissing buzz fades, and grows again as it returns for another attack.
    Last edited by Kyle Pantrakahs; 21 November 2003 at 06:06 AM.

107) He screams in agony as the blaster bolt/lightsaber/vibroblade pierces his spleen.

(Props to Hisham)
    Johnny's fanfic links:
    Star Wars: Tales of the Cuy'val Dar - Old Soldiers Never Die
    ----------
    "It was my destiny to be here, in the box."
    - Naked Snake

Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust.

108) The first shot connects squarely on his chest, as the second one hits his shoulder, whirling him around and throwing him on the floor, the third one ends up as a smoking, blackened pock mark in the wall behind him. (Blaster/slugthrower with three attacks, two of which score hits after the VP's of the target have been exhausted)

109) He lets out a painful huff as his glazed eyes drop to meet the sky-blue energy blade jutting from his chest. As you retract it, he shudders, then falls on his knees and finally on his face to the floor. (Critical hit with a Lightsaber, can be used with a vibroblade/sword with minor modifications)

110) He stares the flashing red light of the device in his feet as the light blinks faster and faster, turning into a steady red spot as the timer reaches zero. Then the whole world turns into searing orangish-yellow inferno that consumes him and turns him into a charred hulk. (A failed Reflex-save, when a Spot-roll succeeds while spotting a thermal detonator)

111) Your heel connects with his skull, introducing a sickening crack. With a barely audible sigh he slumps to the ground. The damage was enough to crack his skull and cause temporary unconsciousness. (An unarmed combat/martial arms hit, doing sufficient damage to render the target into unconsciousness, but not enough to kill him yet)

112) The vibroblade swipes the back of his hand, leaving a thin line of blood, but not dealing any real damage. (A VP hit with a vibroblade)

113) He yelps as the blue-green blade of your lightsaber makes contact with the side of his throat. the damage is not enough to cause nothing more than a light burn. If this would have been a real lightsaber it would've taken his head cleanly off. (A critical hit with a training lightsaber during a training session)

114) He roars like a feral beast, as the vibroaxe connects with his shoulder and cleanly slices his left arm off. Then his eyes roll and he slumps into the ground, right beside the severed arm that lies in a pool of blood. (a Critical hit with a vibroaxe, assuming that the one hit is a Wookiee)

115) After a whirling storm of shimmering arcs the four droids around him fall into a heap of sparking, scorched metal. The robed figure stands up from the low ready stance. The shimmering orange blade of his lightsaber disappearswith a hiss as he deactivates it and returns it into the clip on his belt. (a Jedi succesfully uses the Whirlwind Attack feat in combat)
    "I'm not a Jedi, I'm just a guy with a Lightsaber."
    - Kyle Katarn, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

"Ignorance kills, but if you ignore me, so do I."
    - Snowtiger

Thread Information