Thread: Question about Chewie and the Stormies...

The Dude

Default Question about Chewie and the Stormies...

In ANH, where the Stormtroopers come across Han and Chewie, why don't they arrest Chewie, since Wookiees were considered slaves?

they didn't know that he was an escaped slave and that not all were slaves they would just chose randomly and would go in large parties because the wookies would kill small groups of troopers

Jedi Master of the Old Republic
    Now we're on Yavin after our secret base was compromised...It's hard to fight continuity!!!

They were busy following more important orders.
    Jim Williams

that and odds are if any stormies made an issue Han'd just say "he's my slave"

Howling Wookiee

Hmmm, I would not try to start trouble with a 7 foot walking wrecking ball if I could avoid it. Like previously stated they had more important orders. Also not all Wookiees were slaves and on a back world like Tatooine I'm sure they are not as strict with the slave laws as other worlds. IE don't stir up trouble if you can avoid it.

"Let the Wookiee Win!"

Stand firm, America. Weather the storm.

Actually, there are several reasons why the Imperials didn't arrest Chewbacca:

-The Mos Eisley garrison contained only twelve stormtroopers. The two in the cantina were literally a sixth of the Empire's presence in the city.
    -Imperial jurisdiction had yet to be established on Tatooine, therefore making an arrest would not have been legal at the time.
    -The Imperials were searching for the data discs, and were more concerned with following Vader's orders.
    -Tatooine is far away from the Empire's control (at the time), and thus making a scene could have proven unhealthy for the lives of the stormtroopers.

The Empire doesn't establish actual control on Tatooine until after the Millennium Falcon escapes. Prefect Talmont, who was the governor of Bestine (the capital), was given authority by Tarkin and Vader to establish a permanent garrison on the planet after Solo blasted his way out of Mos Eisley.
    "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."
    -Commander Wedge Antilles, X-wing: Rogue Squadron

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

The Dude

Thanks for all the responses, people! This has been bugging me for some time.

I've also had a few people ask me that, so I didn't know, either.

experienced groundpounder

with the Empire having a Prefect on Tatooine, I thought they had established some form of "law." One don't remember that the owner of the Cantina was not the man that Luke or the stormtroopers talked to, but a wookiee.
    I can't remember the name offhand. But it was mentioned in several WEG books and other EU sources.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

Originally posted by gmjabreson
    with the Empire having a Prefect on Tatooine, I thought they had established some form of "law." One don't remember that the owner of the Cantina was not the man that Luke or the stormtroopers talked to, but a wookiee.
    I can't remember the name offhand. But it was mentioned in several WEG books and other EU sources.
    Chalmun is the name of the Wookiee that owned the cantina in ANH.

And if you ask why didn't the stormies accost Chewbacca, you also have to ask why didn't they confront Han? I mean Solo went AWOL from the Imperial military for goodness sake!

Darth Fierce
    Last edited by Darth Fierce; 24 May 2006 at 09:11 AM.
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

The Dude

Originally posted by Darth Fierce

And if you ask why didn't the stormies accost Chewbacca, you also have to ask why didn't they confront Han? I mean Solo went AWOL from the Imperial military for goodness sake!

Darth Fierce
    He didn't so much go AWOL as he was stripped of his commission for freeing Chewbacca.

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

"Law" is a relative term on Tatooine. Yeah, sure, technically the Empire was in charge, but the reality was that whoever had the biggest guns was the one making the rules.

Sky Pilot

...or whoever had the biggest Wookiee. :p
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

That too.

Stormtroopers were never known for tearing arms out of sockets...

Peccator out of residence

but the reality was that whoever had the biggest guns was the one making the rules
    Sounds like today's politics.

But before I get this thread closed, I'd like to switch to a more SW topic for this post.

It works the same way in SW. When the NR had military dominance, it was the law. When the Galactic Alliance did not, it was not. When the Empire had it, it was. Where the Hutts had it, they were. Etc.
    If you want to contact me, a private message will work. I am currently on hiatus, but I will respond.
    Featured Quote: “The trouble is that everyone talks about reforming others and no one thinks about reforming himself.”
    St. Peter of Alcántara

PS: "'Psych' for short. Not Psycho. No o, oh no, no o." Ronin

Thread Information