Thread: Dark Empire

Default Dark Empire

I know it is an old topic to discuss about, but I decided to read it again and wanted to now what others thought about the whole series of Dark Empire.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Yelrahc; 30 October 2007 at 07:08 PM.

Dark Lord of the Law

Personally I didn't care for the artwork. I thought the story of Dark Empire I was interesting with the Emperor suriving death and the World Devestators, plus the Fett man came back from the dead.

I thought DE II and III were useless in that it seemed like they were just repeating DE I with a different super weapon and they tried a bit too hard to shoe horn in Tales of the Jedi, I mean in four thousand years neither the Jedi, nor the Old Republic, nor Empire, nor even the Sith ever mounted a serious expedition to Ossus to see if there was anything worth recovering? I mean if they did the place would have been picked completly clean by DE II and some form of perminent settlement would be there if only to look at the pretty ruins. I did like the idea that Palpatine was trying to establish a new, more powerful, and immortal Sith Order.
    When its all said and done never trust the girl with the red eyes.

Jedi Dropout

I didn't much care for the first one, to be honest. The whole thing just seemed a bit hokey. Luke going to the Dark Side at the drop of a hat in order to defeat the Dark Side. Sorry, I'm not buying it. If that isn't too jagged a pill to swallow, they had this resurrected clone Emperor. Just too much.
    "Tedium and drudgery are good for the soul." - Boober Fraggle

D6 Utilities and Fan Books

Veteran Player

Other than the artwork, and those funky robots in the first book, i loved it...
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Dark Lord of the Law

Originally posted by cheshire
    I didn't much care for the first one, to be honest. The whole thing just seemed a bit hokey. Luke going to the Dark Side at the drop of a hat in order to defeat the Dark Side. Sorry, I'm not buying it. If that isn't too jagged a pill to swallow, they had this resurrected clone Emperor. Just too much.
    Considering the "fall" of dear old dad I'd say them Skywalkers change Force aligments the same way I change socks. :p

In my opinions I really think that Dark Empire 1's story went too fast. If they made Dark Empire go a little slower storywise it would have made a lot more as to how Luke was corrupted to the Dark Side rather than an instaneous change. It should have shown Skywalker's struggles to fight the Dark Side from within more, and then show how he was finally corrupted in more detail. All in all I think it was neat to see the Ultimate Evil in Star Wars come back from the dead.

It's been a while, but at the time I remember really enjoying the Dark Empire books.

I'm generally content with the SW saga ending with Ep6-- I think the epic/mythic/iconic conclusion of the story is weakened when we try to go beyond RotJ's triumphant epilogue. So I'm a little prejudiced against post-movie SW stories, expecially those that concern the major characters.

But, coming in the era when we thought we'd never see another SW film, DE was a fun little glimpse into the "what if" future for me.

Contrary to the esteemed Lokar. I liked the dark, moody, almost minimalist art. The story was a little corny (see: Clone Palpatine(s)). But, again, it's been a while since I read it...

Nowadays, I see in DE a lot of what I don't like about the NJO/Dark Horse take on SW... I much prefer it when they stick to the "Tales of the Jedi" and KotOR eras.

But I still have generally fond impressions of Dark Empire. It was a fun read.

My 2cr.
    "Half the fun of God's forgiveness is having reasons to ask for it."

Firstly (mod hat on): you could always do a search for threads about DE, and (if you've got something to add) resurrect them

I've got the DE sourcebook (D6), and the graphic novel of DE2...and while I don't care much for the story, the Palpatine clones and the superweapons...some aspect of it I do like. The Lictor-class dungeon ship for one.

Dark Lord of the Law

I can accept the first clone of Palpatine with all the stuff about Darth Plageus. Anymore over did it, as did the endless supply of super weapons (I can accept the World Devestators and Super Star Destroyers but when we got to the Galaxy Gun we hit over kill territory. Course I've always been curious just how many Sector Groups made up the Deep Core fleet.

Thread Information