View Poll Results: Choose your favourite book/novel of the Rebellion Era!

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • A New Hope

3 8.57%
  • Bounty Hunter Trilogy

2 5.71%
  • Galaxy of Fear series

0 0%
  • Splinter of the Mind's Eye

2 5.71%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

0 0%
  • Shadows of the Empire

10 28.57%
  • Return of the Jedi

1 2.86%
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina

2 5.71%
  • Tales of the Bounty Hunters

1 2.86%
  • Tales from Jabba's Palace

0 0%
  • Tales from the Empire

3 8.57%
  • Truce At Bakura

2 5.71%
  • Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin

1 2.86%
  • Lando Calrissian Adventures by L. Neil Smith

1 2.86%
  • The Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley

7 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Rebellion Era book!

Smile Your favourite Rebellion Era book!

Hello folks!

I can't believe I never asked for this, at least I can't remember! So let's give all members the opportunity to chose their favourite book/novel from the Rebellion Era!

We must get some fresh life into this forum! What is extremely difficult these days, due to new prequel movies and books, as well as due to the new EU novel series like New Jedi Order.

But it's this era here where it all begun!
    Last edited by Deck; 25 July 2004 at 12:18 PM.

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

Of all the Rebellion era novels, personally I felt "Shadows of the Empire" was best, followed closely by many of the "Tales" books. SotE gave us an interesting glimpse of what supposedly happened between TESB and RotJ, and for that I am grateful. And may I say Guri rocked!!!

Darth Fierce
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

the rebelion era SB defines the rebellion era as being up to the thrawn trilogy, so I'd say the X-wing series

Well, Brian, I wouldn't go with that. When you read "Truce At Bakura" you know that the formal "Declaration of the Alliance of Free Planets" was signed 1 week after the Battle of Endor. This marks the cut between the Rebellion and the New Republic, I'd say.

So we can talk about adding "Truce At Bakura" to our era here, but I think all books after that would clearly belong to the New Republic Era.

Stand firm, America. Weather the storm.

Shadows of the Empire was so well done and so successful, it almost felt as if it was a film itself. This is a no-brainer for me. The characters, events, and plot of SotE was dynamic in a unique manner. I was impressed about how good a job Steve Perry did writing a Rebellion-era novel without Han Solo. Yes, I know some of you felt that Dash Rendar was a carbon copy of Han, but I saw Dash as a different color in the spectrum of rogues and scoundrels. He was a true mercenary who did his job, got away with it, and moved on to bigger and better things. In essence, he was immune to the Galactic Civil War in a way that most Star Wars characters were not.
    "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."
    -Commander Wedge Antilles, X-wing: Rogue Squadron

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

If Truce at Bakura had been on that list, it would have been my vote.

Anyway, I would have liked SotE, if it wasn't written specifically for children (Vader's "I blew his ship to bits" quote made me wince. Then again, I might have read a kiddy version).
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

Chello!

I voted for "Splinter"....probably because I read it when I was 8 and it was brand new. Before Empire and before the series started getting weird!

I consider the first movie (and Splinter!) canon...and that's it!

That said, I almost voted for "Tales of the Empire" because of the GREAT short stories therein.
    Anthony N. Emmel

A Royal Guardsman never seeks special privileges. Ever. His entire goal in life is to serve the Emperor, and the New Order he created. His goal in life, and his desire in death.
    Major Tierce, Star Wars: Specter of the Past

Anyway, I would have liked SotE, if it wasn't written specifically for children (Vader's "I blew his ship to bits" quote made me wince. Then again, I might have read a kiddy version).
    Shadows of the Empire was not a children's book. It was one of the first, if not the first, Star Wars novel to introduce sexuality the saga. You might remember the scene with Leia and Xizor in his antechamber--where Leia basically all but gave in to the temptation of sleeping with him.

I've never heard anyone refer to SotE as being written for children.

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Originally posted by Nova Spice

Shadows of the Empire was not a children's book. I've never heard anyone refer to SotE as being written for children.
    Nova, before posting something like this, make sure you have all neccessary information. Because you are not right about this.

Have a look here: Shadows of the Empire: A Junior Novelization

I hope this cleared things.

Thanks, Deck that clears that up.

Anyway, I didn't really like it becuase of the child-teen level writing in it. Same thing with that new Eragon book; I would have loved it if it had better writing.
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

The Rebellion era is 0 BBY-5 ABY. Though it might have been sensible to start it earlier, since the Rebellion and even the Galactic Civil War begin before Episode IV. In which case I'd vote for Brian Daley's Han Solo novels. In any case, you've left out Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine. And then, I think the Empire comic is better than most of the Rebellion-era prose fiction.

Nova, before posting something like this, make sure you have all neccessary information. Because you are not right about this.
    There's two different versions of SotE it appears. So, we're both right.

It appears Fingon read the "junior novelization." I read the standard version, which explains why we both came to different conclusions.

Okay Gentlemen, here's what I have done now:

14. Added Han Solo Trilogy to Timeline and Poll

15. Added Han Solo Trilogy II to Timeline and Poll

16. Added Land Trilogy to Timeline and Poll

17. Added Truce at Bakura to Timeline and Poll

18. I hope everyone is satisfied now.

Webmaster: Servais Sector, Reviewed Sites / Link Archive, SWAG

Well, in that case, Deck... I'll be voting for the Han Solo Adventures by the excellent Brian Daley.

These have remained my favorite SW novels for years, and I don't really expect that to change soon. I can't really even put my finger on why I liked them so much, but I do. A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy was actually very good, as well.
    Chris Curtis / ICQ: 3114497 / AIM: oldarmygary
    Star Wars Artists' Guild, Servais Sector, Chris Curtis dot Org

you've left out Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine.
    yeah but thats not an actual novel, thats just a shameless plug for a video game, one best left ignored

Thread Information