Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little...much?

Experienced Player

A lightsaber?
    Lost Galaxies MUD,
    high-velocity.org
    port 7777

If I have offended you in any way, just ignore me and go on with your day. My impulsiveness will be the death of me!

Imperial Rules Lawyer

Cool

That's one unusually shaped lightsaber.

It must belong to one of the female twi'lek jedi.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Old timer....

Originally posted by guaeko
    Hm...I guess this site IS a game based off of it, but I saw this quote and thought it was the real thing:

"It all started when the census in New Zealand came back with hundreds of people claiming their religion as Jedi. Then, a few years later, the census in Austrailia came back with not hundreds, but thousands...Now, a similar event is happening in western Europe."
    It goes on, I just can't remember the rest.

This is all true (it was on the news a while back). That was what I had thought the site was about. Oops.
    Let me clarify that one as a New Zealander. The way it worked down here was that the rumour got around just before the census, that if enough people registered as a particular religion- Jedi in this case- it would have to be recognised as an official faith. I can't recall the magic number, but it was something like 10 000. It got a lot of press here in the days leading up to census time, particularly in student circles, appealing enough to the Kiwi sense of humour to be something that a lot of folks put down on their forms for fun. I don't think there ended up being enough Jedi to meet the number, or even if the official religion fact was actually true. Though there were undoubtedly some loose screws in there who marked their forms as Jedi in all seriousness, the vast majority were just poking fun. I don't think we have any real life Jedi down here in NZ.

Wizards, Hobbits and Mandalorians on the other hand...

Imperial Rules Lawyer

Cool

Originally posted by Reverend Strone

Wizards, Hobbits and Mandalorians on the other hand...
    All of a sudden I got a scary image of a Hobbit zealot in my head.

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Default Mandalorians?!!!

Mandalorians?, Rev, when I make it to Oz can you introduce me to a few mayhaps? :-D I been dying to build my own armor for ages and just haven't gotten around to it.

Kris
    Kris "Eclipse" Vanderwater

Immoderator

See now, the only thing *I* can do with my mind is my own business.

Sorry! it had to be said.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

Experienced Player

The "magic number" to get Jedi marked down as an official religion didn't just spread in NZ--it hit the US, Britain, and Australia as well. Ah, the joys of internet rumormongering. In all cases, of course, it was bunk--as this page discusses in greater detail. So, yes, I'd agree with Rev and say that there's probably no such thing as a "Jedi Cult."
    ++++++
    Kordeth
    "An absolute monarchy is one in which the sovereign does as he pleases, so long as he pleases the assassins."
    --Ambrose Bierce

Duct-tape Jedi Master of the Possum Order

Ah, the joys of internet rumormongering.
    It really is kinda funny how when people read something on the internet, they so often think it's true without even stopping to think about it. I have a female friend who is clueless when it comes to computers. I can't count the number of times she's done what some of those "virus warning emails" have said and deleted a specific file. Never occurs to her that someone is playing a bad joke and she is deleting files necessary for her computer's function.

As for what my mind can do... Affect Mind. All I have to do is point at something and people will pass it to me .
    "Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati" (If all else fails, play dead)
    - Possum Lodge motto, The Red Green Show

Absent Old-Timer

I actually heard the NZ story on NPR, a normally trusted source. They even talked to somone in NZ about the story.
    Dr. Worm
    (I'm not a real Doctor, but I am a real worm.)

"Oh, would you stop. Luke Skywalker this, Luke Skywalker that. I am sick of hearing about that little fruit!" Red Foreman- "That 70's Show"

Experienced Player

While even reputable news agencies get suckered in sometimes, are you sure, Dr. Worm, that the story wasn't just "some nuts in New Zealand think they can get Jedi recognized as a religion" as opposed to "Jedi will be officially recognized as a religion if 10,000 (or 7,000, or 6,000, or whatever this week's magic number is) people so note it on the census?"
    ++++++
    Kordeth
    "An absolute monarchy is one in which the sovereign does as he pleases, so long as he pleases the assassins."
    --Ambrose Bierce

Absent Old-Timer

Oh yea...that is is exactly what it was, well a mix of both. It was a story that mostly focused on the arbitrary number that was reportedly set by the NZ census department, an the Jedi thing was the icing on the cake. Though I cannot be sure, now, whether the NZ government commented on the story. It was about 2 years ago that I heard it.
    Dr. Worm
    (I'm not a real Doctor, but I am a real worm.)

"Oh, would you stop. Luke Skywalker this, Luke Skywalker that. I am sick of hearing about that little fruit!" Red Foreman- "That 70's Show"

Old timer....

Default Re: Mandalorians?!!!

Originally posted by EclipseGc
    Mandalorians?, Rev, when I make it to Oz can you introduce me to a few mayhaps? :-D I been dying to build my own armor for ages and just haven't gotten around to it.

Kris
    Oz?! Oz Kris?!

Heathen! This is NZ, not Australia!

Imperial Rules Lawyer

Cool To EclipseGc

Apologize to the Mandalorian for the unintentional slight. And never clump New Zealand with Australia.

They may not rip your arms off like a Wookiee, but they have long memories, and a long-range blaster rifle with scope.

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Default ACK!!!

No No, I didn't mean that (and I do actually know better), I simply had made a bad assumption about location.

(Once as a much younger boy, 12 or 13 I think, I said something very similar to a cute girl from NZ. She was NONE too happy with me concerning my implication that she was from Austrailia, and to make matters worse, I just said "Whatever" after she corrected me. Needless to say, having a rather pretty, older girl from NZ with a really cute accent angry with me was not high on my list of things to try again, so I filed that away in my mental box of things to remember, thus I am truely sorry (despite the fact that you're not a cute, older girl) and hope you can accept my appology for screwing up on your location. :-))

PS: I'd rather visit NZ anyway

Kris
    Kris "Eclipse" Vanderwater

Old timer....

That's absolutely fine Kris. I was just winding you up.

I'm really not insulted at all- having no particular dislike for Autsralia or Australians, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to rib you about your error buddy.

I am sorry to disappoint you by not being an older, cute girl though - being the guy with the accent is an odd thing in itself to get used to when you're travelling. If I recall anything about gen con 2003 it was Darth Xavien's impersonation of my accent!

Anyway- I'm sidetracking this thread... apologies.

Thread Information