Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Release of the Classic DVD's?

Stand firm, America. Weather the storm.

Post Release of the Classic DVD's?

If I remember correctly, the long-awaited DVD release of the Original Trilogy is due out this month.

Does anyone have a confirmation release date?
    "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."
    -Commander Wedge Antilles, X-wing: Rogue Squadron

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

September 21st.

And welcome back, Nova.
    Johnny's fanfic links:
    Star Wars: Tales of the Cuy'val Dar - Old Soldiers Never Die
    ----------
    "It was my destiny to be here, in the box."
    - Naked Snake

Good, that means I can still reserve a copy at my local Hastings.

And thanks for the kind words, johnny. Good to be back.

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Jedi Dropout

Don't get too excited yet, because Lucas has tinkered again! This is the "More Special-er Than The 'Special Edition' Edition" I'm just going to buy the Hi Fi stuff on Ebay and have my father in law burn it to DVD for me. I'm tired of Lucas messing with Star Wars. Yes, it's his art, but once it has entered my mind, I have my own vision of what it looks like. If I can preserve that, I will.
    "Tedium and drudgery are good for the soul." - Boober Fraggle

D6 Utilities and Fan Books

I'm actually curious to see what has been changed, and whether or not it's for the better or for the worse. I just hope that they fixed the lightsaber effects. I shudder everytime I watch Old Obi-Wan's lightsaber flicker out. You would think he'd have grabbed a new Duracell before leaving Tatooine.
    Johnny's fanfic links:
    ----------
    - Naked Snake

ij thompson

Originally posted by johnnyputrid
    I'm actually curious to see what has been changed, and whether or not it's for the better or for the worse.
    How does a RotJ with Jar Jar jumping up and down shouting "Wesa free!" grab you?

All opposed surf to the link below!

http://originaltrilogy.com

Old timer....

Warning! Special Special Edition Spoilers Below...

The hideous CG Jabba from the SE ANH has been replaced with another CG Jabba- I'm not sure it's that much of an improvement personally from the pictures I've seen. The Emperor's hologram from ESB has been replaced with a new version featuring Ian Mcdiarmid in Emperor make-up. Also, Anakin's ghost in the final scene of ROTJ has been replaced so that he now looks like young Hayden Christenson in his Anakin get-up from ROTS. It seems when devising your appearance as a Jedi Spirit you get to not count any years (or levels ) spent as a Sith Lord. It make sme wonder whether Hayden's face might now also be what we see under the helmet when Luke removes Vader's mask.

Originally posted by ij thompson

How does a RotJ with Jar Jar jumping up and down shouting "Wesa free!" grab you?
    I will probably board a plane, fly over to Skywalker Ranch and patiently wait for Lucas to come home. I will then pummel him into the dirt, for he will have completely destroyed all for which we have fought and suffered.
    Johnny's fanfic links:
    ----------
    - Naked Snake

itty bitty living space!

I don't know why he doesn't just get it over with and reshoot the entire OT from scratch.
    I am the Waffler!

Sith Chick, 1ST HotShot Quiz Centurion, and Master Lurker
    Searching for warmth in the cold darkness of Lurkerdom ...

I don't care if he makes a few cosmetic changes ... the story is what draws me to pay $65+ for these DVDs ... I'll be waiting at midnight on monday to pick up my copy ... "open, open, open ..."
    "Anger, Fear, Agression. The dark side are they!"
    Vixen~of~Venus
    "A woman with a lightsaber!! Run boys! RUN!!!"
    "Roll for initiative Monkeyboy!!"

Jedi Princess

I just wish it included the original versions. I didn't have many issues with the re-releases--except for adding Jabba into ANH.

If the originals were included, then our kids could see it the way Mom & Dad saw it the first time.

On a couple brighter notes, the 2 of us & a number of costumer pals will be an offical part of release events at several stores. What to wear, what to wear? Jedi or Endor trooper or should I be shocking in my Imp Officer uniform?
    And the release date is our anniversary--so the kids have decreed the set is going to be our present. Of course since they're under 10, we have to cover the cost.

PS to Vixen of Venus: It's good to see you on again. We gals have to stick together

And welcome back to you too, Nova

Commanding Officer of the Indomitable

Someone over at theforce.net spoiler forum already has the dvd set, and gives a few hints about it. Go check here . Later.

Caamasi Jedi49
    "You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."
    ―George Lucas

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook

Someone over at theforce.net spoiler forum already has the dvd set, and gives a few hints about it. Go check here . Later.
    Checked this out the other day. They've got some interesting stuff over there.

itty bitty living space!

Wow, almost an entire page devoted to griping about the DVD cases. Man, I thought I was picky
    I am the Waffler!

I am really most displeased by the new changes. Couldn't they have left it as it was? No, they had to embed their new "amazing" characters. In my opinion this leads to the loss of the original SW spirit.

Once it's released and we have seen it, we will discuss the changes in a new thread.

See you then!

~ HiAd

Thread Information