Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official DVD Classic Trilogy Thread - Comments here!

Lightbulb Official DVD Classic Trilogy Thread - Comments here!

Hello dear fellows!

Now that the DVD version of the Classic Trilogy finally has been released, this topic has been opened to discuss it. Especially interesting are the new changes that have been made once again. It would be nice if we could find all changes that have been added. So when you watched it feel free to post your comments and thoughts here!

Happy watching!

~ HiAd Chris

Experienced Player

Okay...my opinon, and the changes I can think of.

First up, I loved it - seeing SW on a big screen with surround sound was just...well, you know what I mean. I think they did a terrific job.

Now...changes (that I can think of - I only got it last night and stayed up all night, so I've only watched it through once! )

All episodes: general cleaning up of the picture - excellently done. It was crisp, clear, with vibrant colours and beautiful contrast. Most matte lines have been removed, and the garbage boxes around elements in the space shots are almost all gone (there's a couple of notable exceptions, especially in the escape from the DS battle).

Episode IV
    Luke's (well, Anakin's) lightsabre still looks a bit "aqua" coloured to me - not quite "blue" enough - it does look like they've changed it a bit, though, I think.

Obi-wan's lightsabre is finally fixed so that it doesn't look like a lighbulb on a stick when pointed at the camera. It's not perfect, but it's better than it was. I didn't think to check for the wire up his sleeve - I'll do that tonight when I watch them again!

I think (not sure, here) there might be an extra shot or two in the final battle over the DS - just quick "ship shots".

The infamous Greedo blaster shot is still there - I'll have to look at it again; Lucas said in an interview that they'd cleaned it up and made Han's movement more realistic, but to be honest, I didn't notice any difference the first time around.

Jabba looks better than in the original SE. More 3D, and Han actually casts shadows on him, this time. The tail-step is still there, though, and it still looks pretty fake.

Vader's lightsabre now stays red, too, which was a nice fix!

Episode V
    Luke's lightsabre looks better here - more bluish than aqua-coloured.

The Hoth battle scenes seem a bit crisper - but this is probably just the general (fantastic) improvements to the overall film quality.

One thing they didn't do (which I'd heard they would) was smooth out the stop-motion taun-tauns and walkers. They haven't changed them at all - they still look great, it just would have been nice for them to update 'em a bit.

The wierd emperor from ESP has been replaced with Ian McDiarmid's emperor. The dialogue has also been altered somewhat - Palpy specifically refers to "the rebel who destroyed the Death Star" as being "the offspring of Anakin Skywalker". Nothing big - just a bit more specific, I guess.

Boba Fett now has Temuera Morrison's voice - which is actually really cool. I was a bit concerned about this, but Morrison gets it bang-on, and now with the added chill of sounding just like dear old dad!

Lightsabres have been cleaned up a bit - the glow now seems more suffused.

And Luke's girlie-scream has been removed!!!!! YAY!!!

Episode VI
    I think there's a few extra characters floating around Jabba's palace (but I could be wrong here).

Luke's lightsabre is fixed - again, the glow is diffused, now, rather than looking painted on.

The unmasked Vader's eyebrows have been removed, and he now has Hayden's eyes - looks good; I couldn't pick that it was done artificially.

Hayden replaces Sebastian Shaw in the "ghost shot" at the end.

There is a celebration scene on Naboo been added in. Fortunately, Jar-Jar is nowhere to be seen (unless he's one of the tiny, barely visible Gungans on a rooftop).

One problem I had with RotJ was the lightsabres duing the final duel. There seems to be some kind of artifact within the blade itself - almost like the person editing each cell left the occasional line of "paint" along a blade.

Maybe it's just my DVD player - I'd be curious to see if anyone else has noticed the lightsabres in the end being a bit "odd" looking.

Oh...and once or twice Vader's sabre looks more pink than red, but I think that's a holdover from the original, if memory serves.

I've no doubt missed a gazillion other things...but this should get everyone started!

All in all, though - definitely worth my money!

*heading off to watch 'em again*
    Regards,
    Aldaron
    "Our molecules were formed in the furnace of ancient stars...it is our destiny to return home."

"Debug? Klingons do not debug! Our software does not coddle the weak!"

ij thompson

Man, I wish I hadn't just phoned in sick on Thursday...

that blasted George Lucas is gonna get me fired!

p.s: Does Vader's saber blade still cast a shadow on the floor in RotJ?

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

Default Warning Spoilers...

Visited http://cnn.com today, which has a wrap-up of the changes made by Lucas in the DVD version of the Original Trilogy...

Keep Going...

Almost There...

They listed five of the most major changes made in the release:

1. The "whatyamacallit" scream isn't used by Luke in ESB.
    2. Redone CG Jabba in ANH.
    3. Replacing Jeremy Bulloch's voice as Boba Fett with Temuera Morrison in ESB.
    4. The addition of Naboo in RotJ.
    5. The change to Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker's Force Spirit in RotJ--grr . Really I think since Lucas was going to make this change, he should have also included Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan.

What I want to know is if the stormtroopers all have the same voice now...

Darth Fierce
    Last edited by Darth Fierce; 21 September 2004 at 03:28 AM.
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

Experienced Player

I actually think the biggest change was in the colour and clarity - it was so much crisper and vibrant than my (admittedly much-played} VHS versions.

Lucas explains in the bonus materials why he went for a "young" Anakin and "old" Obi-Wan. It was to do with how they were when they died.

Anakin "died" when he was "betrayed and murdered" by Darth Vader - ie: in Episode III, as a young man. His brief "reappearance" at the end of Epsidoe VI, as a middle-aged man dying in Luke's arms, was really a holdover from that.

In other words, the Jedi appear as they did when their true selves died. Obi-Wan and Yoda had died within the last few years, old. Darth Vader had just died, but Anakin had died two-dozen years before.

Something like that.

Nope, they haven't changed the stormtrooper voices. Considering stormtroopers are of different heights, I think my assumption that they come from a variety of "templates" (not just Jango Fett) might well be true. This would explain the height variance, as well as the voices.

It would also still allow for unarmoured stormtrooper officers to be seen occasionally (I'm still convinced that the guy Vader orders to "send a detachment down to retrieve them, Commander. See to it personally..." in the start of Epi IV was stormtrooper officer.
    Regards,
    Aldaron
    "Our molecules were formed in the furnace of ancient stars...it is our destiny to return home."

Sith Chick, 1ST HotShot Quiz Centurion, and Master Lurker
    Searching for warmth in the cold darkness of Lurkerdom ...

I got my copy last night at midnight ... but my roommate could only make it through ANH, and I only made it to the 'stones' scene with Yoda before my eyelids got too heavy ... but the changes I've seen so far are awesome.

The infamous Greedo blaster shot is still there - I'll have to look at it again; Lucas said in an interview that they'd cleaned it up and made Han's movement more realistic, but to be honest, I didn't notice any difference the first time around.
    We put in the Special Edition videos on my 2nd tv so we could watch them side-by-side, and there is a definite difference between Han's jerky "blaster-dodge" he does in the SE compared to the jerk reaction to Greedo's shot. Also, the timing is different, instead of Greedo shooting about 1 to 1.5 seconds before Han does, now they shoot almost at the same time.
    "Anger, Fear, Agression. The dark side are they!"
    Vixen~of~Venus
    "A woman with a lightsaber!! Run boys! RUN!!!"
    "Roll for initiative Monkeyboy!!"

The Death Sentence in 20 systems, but still at large...

Well, my set was delivered to the office at about 10:00 am and, despite my better judgement, a collegue and I have scoped out most of the major changes...we agree that they are all top-notch...I'm so excited about getting home and watching these that I'm actually contemplating faking illness...I really like the improved Emperer scene in Empire, and, though this seems to be the biggest point of differing opinions, I liked the young Anakin "Force spirit"...I especially like the way he sort of fads in; however, he still seems a little evil...I guess he just couldn't get over playing Vader in Episode III and now his face is stuck like that...oh, and I liked (since he feels he has to keep it) the fix on the Jabba scene...the tail-stepping thing seems to make Jabba mad this time, instead of making him look like a surprised anime character...

Overall, this is a definite A+...the best thing about them has to be the quality...I'm watching them on a dinky LCD monitor and they look fantastic...I can't wait to get home and watch them on my TV...
    "Scootie Puff Junior suuuuucks..."

Webmaster: SWRPGNetwork Conversions

I got mine last night, home by midnight - far too late to watch any of the movies (And even so, I was up until 3 watching documentary stuff).

The set looks fantastic. Really, really cleaned up. I couldnt crank the sound being 3 and all, but it sounded very solid. And DAMN, there's a lot of extras floating around. I wish they had done 2 discs per movie, but we gotta save something for the 6 disc Super Set coming in aught-6 right?
    -Tony
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Come look at at my new obsession
    ----> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyjcase/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Jedi Dropout

I wish they had done 2 discs per movie, but we gotta save something for the 6 disc Super Set coming in aught-6 right?
    I'll bet that's when they release the deleted scenes for the OT on DVD.
    "Tedium and drudgery are good for the soul." - Boober Fraggle

D6 Utilities and Fan Books

Experienced Player

Half through New Hope and Got to go to work. #&^(&$@$. Love Obi-Wan's nuances as he tells Luke his background and explains the Force. There really isn't any problem so far connecting what Obi Wan says and the prequels.

Is it me? I think they changed Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call to scare off the Sandpeople!

Can't wait for tonight to finish it and Empire at least.
    ash nazg durbatuluk
    -- some guy

You think you're all that... But you're not
    -- Dr. Drakken

Veteran Player

Looking at the below, myonly real beaf is the boba fett voice change. I actually liked J bullok.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Absent Old-Timer

Question: Did they finnaly fix R2's black panels in ANH. The fixed them in the other films, but never in ANH. That is one thing that always bugged me.
    Dr. Worm
    (I'm not a real Doctor, but I am a real worm.)

"Oh, would you stop. Luke Skywalker this, Luke Skywalker that. I am sick of hearing about that little fruit!" Red Foreman- "That 70's Show"

As far as A New Hope goes, a small but noticable change is that the lettering on the tractor beam controls that Obi-Wan disables is now in Aurebesh instead of English. Minor, but pretty cool.

Jabba looks much better also. He does seem to get mad when Han steps on his tail. And now Han fires only a few fractions of a second behind Greedo. It was obvious Han was gonna fry him anyway, but now it really looks like Han was gonna fry him.

The lightsabers look pretty good. Vader's saber is red instead of pink, though Luke's still looks whiteish, and even greenish at one point, when he's training with the remote. Obi-Wan's saber looks very blue, and doesn't look as fake as it used to.

And for those of who who've checked out the bonus disk, you've probably looked at the Episode III game mini-doc. Or did you? You should. The game looks pretty sweet, and they've hinted that you'll get to play as Obi-Wan or Anakin for the final duel. Gee, tough decision there.

Mostly I was floored by the cleaness of the film. They've removed all the dirt from the film, which makes looking at all the dirt on the vehicles, equipment, etc. even better. Cleanest looking dirt in any film I've ever seen.
    Johnny's fanfic links:
    Star Wars: Tales of the Cuy'val Dar - Old Soldiers Never Die
    ----------
    "It was my destiny to be here, in the box."
    - Naked Snake

Stand firm, America. Weather the storm.

Just finished watching Empire of Dreams, and I have to hand it to them. That was the be-all, end-all of the Star Wars saga as far as the story behind the films go.

I'm about to watch A New Hope tonight. And if it wasn't for that blasted Biology Lab tomorrow, I'd be watching the others too!
    "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."
    -Commander Wedge Antilles, X-wing: Rogue Squadron

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Experienced Player

Oh, yeah! How could I forget the Krayt Dragon call!

Definitely been spiced up.

Also, I think they've added even more stormtroopers to the scene where Han chases the stormtroopers around the corner on the DS and then comes to a sudden stop.

One of the "problems" I'm facing is that we got our wide-screen TV and home cinema system last Christmas, but have never connected a video player to it, so I've only ever watched the video of Star Wars on our old, normal sized TV set downstairs.

But now, watching it on widescreen, I'm picking up so many "little" things that I'm not sure if they were added or if they've always been there.

Case in point: something which has no doubt always been there, but which I never saw until the night before last - when Vader first walks in after the battle on the Tantive IV, he kicks a piece of charred door, which skitters across the floor in front of him.

Silly little thing, I know - but something I've seen in 27 years of watching Star Wars however many gazillion times!

Oh, and it's now obvious that Vader mustn't have used his lightsabre in a while (we know Obi-Wan used it on Tatooine). There are several impacts where a little cloud of dust flies off the blades!
    Last edited by Aldaron; 21 September 2004 at 06:10 PM.
    Regards,
    Aldaron

Thread Information