Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mon Calamari joining the Rebellion?

Moderator: Rumours and Speculation

Default Mon Calamari joining the Rebellion?

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on when the Mon Calamari joined the Rebellion? I've had a look on StarWars.com, but there's not much info there (except to say they did join the Rebellion).

I just want to know things like how they managed to produce starships (I mean, if the Empire knew the Rebels were flying Mon Cal starships, surely they'd send a fellet of Star Destroyers to Mon Cal and destroy the shipyarsds, right?).

I'm looking at running an adventure based around this. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
    "What the hell are you waiting for?"
    Encore - Jay Z feat. Linkin Park

Blog Entries

I would expect they showed some Rebel leanings before Palpy decided to be done with them and enslave the planet. After they rebelled against the occupation- the shipyards actively produced vessels for the Rebs. I guess the Empire just considered it more trouble than it was worth- I know if I had a planet with lots of shipyards, I'd use quite a lot of my reasources protecting it.
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    Check out Run to the Rim (NEW! Updated 1/24/08!)
    and
    Old Friends, New Republic (Updated 12/27/07)

Not a Cylon

i had thought that the majority of the rebel fleet wasn't Mon Cal ships they had made for that purpose, but Mon Cal starliners and cruise ships that had been refitted for battle duty. i think it was somehting like, when the Empire officially enslaved the planet, that was the last straw and through some nifty coordination all the Mon Cal ships and crew defected, called the secret Rebel hotline and said, "Hello, general Dodonna? This is Ackbar, and i have a fleet i'd like to give to you. Now, i was thinking Admiral for my new rank. How's that sound to you?"
    in the novelization of RotJ, i think there's some meniton of that as the fleet gathers near sullust. or somewhere. it's been a while since i read that. some great dialogue in there; better than the movie (which i guess isn't a great surprise).
    "Nice scene. But you're right. A bazooka doesn't do the same thing as a dumpster." -Neal Stephenson

Rebel Insurgent

I've always believed that the Mon Cal didn't join the Rebellion until after the Battle of Hoth, but I don't remember where I saw that stated.

The fact that there are no Mon Cal in ESB, while they are dominant in the Rebel fleet in RotJ supports this view though.

I would put the sequence of events something like this. The Mon Cal are enslaved by the Empire before ANH, and resistance steadily gathers. Admiral Ackbar is rescued by the Alliance from Tarkin before ANH and returns to his planet, or perhaps works with the Alliance for some time. Some time before ESB the Mon Cal kick out the Empire (perhaps with some Alliance support). They are protected from immediate retaliation by the Empire's preoccupation with hunting down the Rebel Alliance and their remote location. The fleet of Mon Calamari cruiser liners are rapidly converted to warships and shortly after ESB, the Mon Cal officially join the Alliance.

With a powerful fleet defending Mon Calamari and more planets (eg. Sullust) declaring open rebellion, the Empire is unable to attack and crush the Mon Cal. The fleet of large capital ships also forms a new, mobile, base for the Alliance, protecting them from a defeat like that at Hoth.

Some of that's speculation and some I don't remember sources for, but that's my idea of what happened.
    "You're good, but you're no Wes Janson." - Wes Janson

"You are never certain that a person will notice something but there is a good chance the person is going to have to kill it sooner or later. Therefore my padawan, never get any awareness or stealth skills, just be really good at killing." - Jedi Master Yatzi Googol Safefefe

Experienced Player

That sounds pretty good as a theory. The Mon Cal ships, in fact most of the ships in the Rebel Fleet were converted cargo and transport liners, that were capital in size but had plenty of empty spaces for weapon batteries to be added and bigger shield generators.

But you're right, the Mon Cal's dont show up till after the Cloud City Incident with Luke. It tracks that Mon Cal in general was one of the slaved races and they just escaped and because they didnt have an immediate war weapons the empire said 'screw it'. We also have to keep in mind that a good bit of time takes place between ESB and RotJ...isnt like a year or two? So in thatc ase that could give the Mon Cals plenty of time to defect and convert their fleet. Which may be why the Alliance finally felt they had enough muscle to attack the empire head on.
    "This is all about fear. It's understandable, but you can't let it control you. 'Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to anger.' No wait, hold on. 'Fear leads to hate. Hate leads to the dark side.' Hold on, no, umm, okay, can we forget that?"

Rebel Insurgent

Actually it's only a year between ESB and ANH (which is why I suggested the Mon Cal started converting their ships before officially joining the Alliance). However a lot happens in this year, with the Alliance going from on the run to being powerful enough for planets to openly defect.

"You are never certain that a person will notice something but there is a good chance the person is going to have to kill it sooner or later. Therefore my padawan, never get any awareness or stealth skills, just be really good at killing." - Jedi Master Yatzi Googol Safefefe

Experienced Player

You sure about that? I was mentioning time span between ESB and RotJ but, i distinctly remember there being a 3 yer gap between one of the films, at least i thought so. i could be crazy.
    "This is all about fear. It's understandable, but you can't let it control you. 'Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to anger.' No wait, hold on. 'Fear leads to hate. Hate leads to the dark side.' Hold on, no, umm, okay, can we forget that?"

Rogue Janson's idea of ships being converted prior to their appearance makes perfect sense.

If you're going to rebel & kick the Empire offworld, you need to have defenses ready to emplace as soon as that happens so that someone doesn't crush your revolution by parking a Star Destroyer or 3 in orbit.

Initially, this fleet would consist of hasty modifications to existing ships which gives you more time to properly refit a starliner into a battlecruiser. Once the refitted cruisers are fully crewed & commissioned, then and only then can you start building warships from keel-up.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that anumber of the Alliance's Assault Frigates were MC Surplus, or at least the reliably-tested modification readouts were.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 4 February 2005 at 03:14 PM.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

Rebel Insurgent

Originally posted by PneumaZ
    You sure about that? I was mentioning time span between ESB and RotJ but, i distinctly remember there being a 3 yer gap between one of the films, at least i thought so. i could be crazy.
    3 Years between ANH and ESB, one between ESB and RotJ. I have no idea how or why those gaps were decided on.

Commanding Officer of the Indomitable

It was my understanding that Mon Cal joined around ESB, but was independent a year or two before ANH. The huge time difference was because Mon Cal was reluctant to be assosiated with the rebellion directly. They had just become independent and couldn't risk being labeled a rebel supporter and not be able to defend itself. But I could be wrong.

Caamasi Jedi49
    "You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."
    ―George Lucas

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook

Blog Entries

Some deleted footage from ESB shows some Mon Cals at Hoth... these may just be isolated individuals- but I know Ackbar was part of the Rebellion since around Yavin (Shantipole/Tarkin Connection). The Rebellion Sourcebook from WEG has more info on this, I think... if anyone wants to check.
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    and

Experienced Player

Wasn't it 6 months between ESB and ROTJ? I thought that when Han got pulled out of the carbonite, that they said that it was six months in carbonite that caused him to get the blindness.

I'm tired, and haven't seen the movies in a while, so forgive me if I'm an idiot.
    Lost Galaxies MUD,
    high-velocity.org
    port 7777

If I have offended you in any way, just ignore me and go on with your day. My impulsiveness will be the death of me!

Rebel Insurgent

Originally posted by Rostek
    Some deleted footage from ESB shows some Mon Cals at Hoth...
    Seriously? I've never heard of that footage or anything like that.

originally posted by guaeko
    Wasn't it 6 months between ESB and ROTJ? I thought that when Han got pulled out of the carbonite, that they said that it was six months in carbonite that caused him to get the blindness.
    Nothing like that's mentioned in the film, but I think you're right it was less than a year. The time just comes out as a year on timelines.

From what I remember Mon Cal was under the Empire's thumb (presumably for siding with the CIS during the Clone Wars) but eventually they rose up and threw off their shackles (before or after which they joined the Rebellion).
    Once they were recognized as a Rebel-World, as far as I know they became pretty much a rebel safe world: too many rebels ships stationed there for the Empire to take it, and it's too remote. (thinking about it, neither of those arguements would really stop the Empire, but that's what I remember from sources I've read).

An adventure where the Rebel PCs go to Mon Cal to meet with representatives of the Mon Cal and (no doubt reluctant) Quarren, while the planet's still under the Empire, and the PCs help to organise the uprising would be great.

As for the film timeline, I always thought it was a three year and a one year gap.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Rogue Janson
    Seriously? I've never heard of that footage or anything like that.
    It may be apocraphal (just searched through my stuff)- but photos of Mon Cals in Hoth garb at the set exist (and have made it into RPG stuff). I believe reading some stuff was filmed with them (though I'm not as sure as I was an hour ago- just checked, can't find it, but that means little ), but was discarded since they already had the necessary Hoth stuff.
    and

Thread Information