Thread: My brother Owen

Question My brother Owen

I rewatched ROTJ recently on my new DVD. I noticed a scene where Obi-Wan is talking to Luke on Dagobah. There he says, you have a twin and blah blah blah. But he also says, youre sister went to Alderaan and I sent you (Luke) to live with my BROTHER Owen on Tatooine.

Brother? Huh, since when? Owen Lars is Anakin's half-brother, but I don't know how he is related to Obi-Wan. Maybe he's saying brother in a hip, urban way.

Let's hope Episode 3 clarifies this for us.

And this warning is directed at you, Lucas. This is your last chance to fix all the contradictions in the other 5 films. Why don't the droids recognize people they met before? Why didn't Qui Gon fade? And all that other stuff.

Otherwise, you will have failed us for the last time........

Not a Cylon

Brother? Huh, since when? Owen Lars is Anakin's half-brother, but I don't know how he is related to Obi-Wan.
    I think the only true explanation, unless GL throws some really wild soap-opera-type jive in there, is that there were a coupla decades between the two movies and that line and all it implies weren't pivotal parts of the overall story he was writing about way back in the day.

Maybe he's saying brother in a hip, urban way
    though that explanation is more fun. it'd piss alec guiness off even more, i bet.

Why don't the droids recognize people they met before?
    memory wipe. also, from the other side, Vader never really gets to interact with threepio or artoo, so he wouldn't recognize 'em, given that R2s and protocol droids are so ubiquitous.

Why didn't Qui Gon fade?
    qui-gon didn't die on purpose. Obi-Wan threw his fight with Vader as a way to get Luke believing and heaidng down the jedi path. yoda *was* trying to finish a sentence, but he had also bee sorta drawing a deep final breath for a while now; probably holding on longer than he felt he should have in hopes that Luke'd stop by once more.

Now, as to why Lucas left the stormtrooper bumping his head on the blast door in ANH when he was being nit picky enough to change their voices to sound like Jango (he did that, right? someone told me), ya got me.
    "Nice scene. But you're right. A bazooka doesn't do the same thing as a dumpster." -Neal Stephenson

The fading into the Force is sorted out in Ep3.

As for Own being OB1's brother...
    he was.

In the original novelisations.

I heard that with the release of Ep1, and everything changing, GL had the novels changed to remove this family connection.

So...they were brothers, but now they're not.

jedi_lucky

hmmm...i dont think i ever even noticed that he says my brother in the film but i will certainly watch for it the next time i watch the movie. i think i would have to agree that it is mostly likely slag or maybe my brother in the force type thing. i have read the book to episode three and if you havent yet it sheds some light on some things but just brings about some other contridictions. i cant say anything though...i love the movies and books so i wouldnt say that george has failed us...but hey to each their own...lol

lucky

I for Underachiever

Originally posted by Ronin
    So...they were brothers, but now they're not.
    Hmmm...very 'Days of our Lives'ish.

Major League Infidel

just what DVD set do you have?
    none of mine have anything relating to Leia going to aderaan and Luke going to tatooine..

only time i recall that happening is in the books..

all though the chapter it takes place is named "A certain point of view"
    Last edited by wolfe; 25 April 2005 at 11:58 PM.
    losing faith in humanity one assclown at a time..

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

Originally posted by kaeroth
    Now, as to why Lucas left the stormtrooper bumping his head on the blast door in ANH when he was being nit picky enough to change their voices to sound like Jango (he did that, right? someone told me), ya got me.
    Keep in mind that Jango bumps his head on Slave I in AotC. I think that was a bit of homage to the stormtrooper who hit his head in ANH.

Darth Fierce
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

Mystical Gunslinger

It had to be. And for the DVD they even added a "thonk!" sound for that poor trooper.
    Verik Aligeri: I will be invincible among the stars.

Not a Cylon

And for the DVD they even added a "thonk!" sound for that poor trooper.
    nah. the latest version i've got is the special edition vhs, and the "thunk!" is in that one.

Keep in mind that Jango bumps his head on Slave I in AotC.
    he does? ha! where? i assume it's on kamino, huh? i'll have to go watch that again. i've been thinking i should go and see ep.s I and II, sort fo psych-me-up for RotS.
    "Nice scene. But you're right. A bazooka doesn't do the same thing as a dumpster." -Neal Stephenson

Thread Information