Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did they know the truth about Palpatine?

Experienced Player

Default Did they know the truth about Palpatine?

I know this question has probably been asked and answered before, but is it or isn't it common knowledge that the Emperor is a Sith Lord during the Rebellion era?

I thought no, because it seems that such knowledge would be a powerful weapon in the hands of the Rebel Alliance. I would think that the free peoples of the galaxy would be more than willing to fight to topple a regime with such a leader if they knew the truth about him.
    Stop comparing yourself to Donnie Darko!

Jedi Master, Scholar, and Keeper of the True Light

I'd say it's not common knowledge. Why? Because everyone that we know knew he was a Sith were either dead or on his side by the end of RotS.

Yoda and Obi-Wan might have known, though that isn't explicitly stated in RotS, but seems likely from the OT. But they were in hiding and never came in direct contact with the Rebellion. And Luke didn't know much about it himself, until he met the Emperor.
    "Faith Manages." - Ambassador Delenn
    Potentate of the Rose

Experienced Player

I think very few knew.

Yoda warned Luke (who was pretty much in the upper echelons of the Alliance): "Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor".

Yet Luke looked in wide-eyed shock when the Empoeror Force-flipped off his binders: "You no longer need those."

You could practically hear Luke screaming: "He can use the Force?? Why the hell didn't someone tell me??"
    Regards,
    Aldaron
    "Our molecules were formed in the furnace of ancient stars...it is our destiny to return home."

"Debug? Klingons do not debug! Our software does not coddle the weak!"

Rules Lawyer

I doubt people knew. Indeed, why would they care?

He's the Emperor to everyone, and that's all that matters. The only people that would care would be Jedi, and they are nearly all extinct after Order 66.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

The Men's Prayer - The Red Green Show

I have a Star Wars.com blog. Look for it under Master Dao Rin

experienced groundpounder

I can think of 3 people off the top of my head that knew he was a Sith Lord. Vader, Yoda, and Obi-wan. From other sources, I'm sure others could have known about him that were force sensitive. Come on, a guy dripping with the darkside and making large waves in the force would have been easy to detect. That was why Yoda went to Dagobah and hid. The Aura of the Dark Jedi Yoda killed there was strong enough to cover up his own.
    But I agree, common citizens wouldn't know, and most of those that join the alliance are too young to remember the Clone Wars or anything that came out of that time period. And we know he covered his tracks very well, including going as far as removing Jedi artifacts from the museums and other public displays.
    The Senate was too busy infighting to realize if he was or not. After all his office was in the senate building that was torn apart while he fought yoda.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Experienced Player

Makes sense. But I would certainly think that many people would care. And knowing that Darth Vader was a Sith Lord (or at least a Dark Jedi), it wouldn't be too far a stretch of the mind to believe the Emperor to have Dark Force powers. Like I said before, this definitely affect the standing of thousand of groups towards the Rebellion if they knew that the Alliance was trying to topple a government with an inarguably EVIL leader. The Alliance could probably bring a lot of the fence-sitters over to their side.
    Stop comparing yourself to Donnie Darko!

They already know that the Alliance thinks he's "evil", they're rebelling against his lawful government.
    Potentate of the Rose

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

Eh...it's quite possible that many people that knew Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader were able to connect the dots to discover that Palpatine was a Sith Lord as well. Bail Organa surely knew this fact from talking with Yoda and probably passed this information on to folks like Mon Mothma.

And even if more people realized Palpatine was a Sith, it wouldn't have necessarily mattered to them. Outside of certain circles, the word Sith probably meant little to nothing to the majority of the galactic populace circa the Rebellion era.

Darth Fierce
    Last edited by Darth Fierce; 1 March 2006 at 05:02 AM.
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

Student of the Force

Default palpatine a sith lord!?

I believe that not only would few know the truth, the Alliance would also be eager to maintain the secrecy. Why? It's hard to drum up help to fight the indomitable Galactic Empire; it would be infinitely harder to win new allies if they also knew that the Emperor himself was a gawdawfully powerful sith sorcerer who could literally keep that murderous Vader goon on bent knee. Gaaaa!! NO thanks! I think i'll be a loyal New Order supporter, thankyou very much! All hail the Emperor!

[Kent Brockman]

And I, for one, welcome our new Sith overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Imperial citizen, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground Sith caves.

[/Kent Brockman]
    A. DuQuennes

I am the one you warned me of.

New Player

I thought I read somewhere that the Emperor tried to hide his Force powers. Even in Esp. IV, the Imperial told Vader that his powers were of an old dead religion. I take that to mean that he didn't know about the Emperor's powers. Plus, since he said Jedi were evil, and many didn't know the difference of Jedi or Sith, or even dark Jedi, he kept his powers hidden to keep order.

I think nichtsistfurmich points out an interesting fact. Sure most (maybe all but Tarkin, but this is only a suggestion) Imperial Officers didn't know that there was a Force User at the top of the Food Chain. But furthermore it wasn't like that there were no Force User at all in the Imperial system. I mean with all the Inquisitors and Emperor's Hands running around the Empire (i.e. the Emperor) surely had hell of a time to hide them after he had announced at the end of Episode III that all Jedi where outcasts and enemies to the Empire.
    Uron's game Archive
    ├ L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Potentate of the Rose

Perhaps the Emperor hid them in plain sight. Or in other words he institutes an Inquisition (or other Force User Program) and to the rest of the galaxy the Inquisitors are just normal people with no connection to the Force. This gives them the authority that they need without suspicion and when it comes to using their Force Powers the Emperor most likely had plans for that too.
    Potentate of the Rose

Experienced Player

Originally posted by Uron Teff
    I think nichtsistfurmich points out an interesting fact. Sure most (maybe all but Tarkin, but this is only a suggestion) Imperial Officers didn't know that there was a Force User at the top of the Food Chain. But furthermore it wasn't like that there were no Force User at all in the Imperial system. I mean with all the Inquisitors and Emperor's Hands running around the Empire (i.e. the Emperor) surely had hell of a time to hide them after he had announced at the end of Episode III that all Jedi where outcasts and enemies to the Empire.
    Perhaps it was a bit of both.
    He activly used media and other way to manipulate others belife in how the force was nothing but a supersticion with out no real powers.

Then using Darkside agents to manipulat and controll the officers and Moffs that activly knows and understand the power those agents have.

Thus Empera have created a powerfull secret weapon that HE and only he can use and controll.
    A warning.
    i am dyslex and English is not my first languish. Swedish is.

Never underestimate a smart person capacity for acting stupid.

I aim to please and shoot to kill.
    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/index.html
    The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective Pirates.
    Rule #1: Pillage, then burn.
    Rule #35: That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.
    Rule #36: When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.

Veteran Player

That does seem to fit in with his methody.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Thread Information