• 20-30

24 40.68%
  • under 20

16 27.12%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ages of RPG gamers?

Experienced Player
    In the cockpit of a XJ-3 X-Wing kicking some Vong butt

Is it just me or does it seem like most RPG gamers get their start in their teanage years?

Rules Lawyer

16 here.

Got introduced to PnP gaming by my cousin with 2nd edition D&D when I was thirteen. I got into Star Wars D20 a little over a year ago..and have recently been learning the D6 system.
    “Idealist: a cynic in the making.”

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

Not me. I think I was 8 or 9. I started gamemastering at 11. Can't say the gamemastering I did was particularly good when I was 11, but I guess you could say I grew into it.

Originally posted by Jonas Malcume
    Is it just me or does it seem like most RPG gamers get their start in their teanage years?
    Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
    Not me. I think I was 8 or 9. I started gamemastering at 11. Can't say the gamemastering I did was particularly good when I was 11, but I guess you could say I grew into it.
    I was the same as Ubiqtorate, but yeah, most seem to start in their teens.

Of course, when I was 13 or so, my parents moved to a new city, so I got my little brothers (then aged 9 and 7) into RPGin pretty quickly-- since it was them, or nobody!
    Last edited by boccelounge; 9 May 2006 at 04:15 PM.
    "Half the fun of God's forgiveness is having reasons to ask for it."

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
    A bit off-topic, but back in the day, when I was about 6, I remember sitting at a card table with my oldest brother and his friends as they played the Champions RPG. Sure, I wasn't actually an active participant, but that's when my interest in RPGs began.

Darth Fierce
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

I'm 15 and I started playing about a month or two ago. My friend got me into it after getting me addicted to star wars epic duels. It was like a gateway drug

Fading Away

I'm almost 14, and have been Rping for about 7 years, my cousin (who got hooked from his cousin) first got me interested in DND, and then for christmas I got the DND interductary set with the dragon on it. After about a year I got the Monster manual v3.0, then when I was about 11, I got a whole set of 3.5 addition DND books and actually learned to play. I baught the SWRPG books when I was about 12, and read it in one day (I read the Players handbook and most of the DMG in one day also) I still aren't a very good G/DM, but I am constantly improving. My actual talent is rules, I only need to read a rule book once, to know all the rules.

Originally posted by coldskier0320

And I think the reason we have an older average HoloNetter than expected is because of the environment here: we're a (mostly) mature, laid back, accepting group with little to no tolerance for problem-causing individuals. Many younglings don't like a place with rules and standards of behavior where they can't run around flaming and trolling.
    As I said above, not ALL youngling dislike rules, I would hate it here if people constantly and openly flamed, where would the fun be
    Recruiting / My fanfic / Good SWRPG Resource/ A great poem
    Facilis Descensus Averni
    Vincere aut Mori ~ Family motto
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions ~ Proverbial

Im 16 now and im about to be a senior in a bout 3 weeks. ITS ALMOST SUMMER!!!

my uncle had an old 2nd edition DnD book and since i was about 3 i loved to look through it and look at all the monster and warriors and stuff, then when i got about 8 i started reading it a little, and my uncle explain a bit of how it worked to me and i learn enough of the rules to play some very loose games with him. Then i bout a DnD 3rd edition when i was 11 and ive been hooked ever since
    Anything that can't be solved with violence can be solved with high explosives. ^_^

check it out, The End of the universe: http://endoftheunivers.free-forums.org

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

A bit off-topic, but back in the day, when I was about 6, I remember sitting at a card table with my oldest brother and his friends as they played the Champions RPG. Sure, I wasn't actually an active participant, but that's when my interest in RPGs began.
    My sister would intently watch us roleplay from the time she was about three (I'm ten years older than she is). I didn't really do much roleplaying with her until she was about seven or eight, but she had "characters" before that. Another roleplayer in our group has an eleven-month-old son who has been "roleplaying" with us since... well, since he was in the womb, actually. Obviously he can't do much, either, but he does have a "character" - an astromech droid who doesn't do much but beep and gurgle anyway. He always seems really interested with all of our roleplaying stuff, though - but that's probably just because he wants to tear the books and eat the dice. It's like I've said in other threads, though - you're never too young to learn.

A Young Falleen Jedi

Well, as Ubiqtorate said I have a son that has been playing since he was in the womb. Well, to say the least we are working on getting him to say Yoda right now. Still waiting on that one, but we figure by the time he is three he should be a gamemaster and ready to GM his first adventure. They are never too young!
    Tonyx

Dark Lord, Warriors of Gar

I'm 34 and have been playing RPGs, starting with Star Wars D6, for 18 years now.

The people I game with range from 18 to 36+
    "As Warriors we rule, As Warriors we rule,
    Under the axe of might, there will be Blood Tonight, Blood Tonight!"

- Warriors of Gar Battle Anthem
    Sithspawn's Lair
    Warriors of Gar

experienced groundpounder

Um, yeah. I'm 29, started off with Battletech when I was 16. Started on Star Wars back in 95 and have been playing it since. Friends tried to get me into D&D, with no success ( course they tried to start me off with advanced characters to catch up with the group that had been playing for several months together.

I picked up the D20 version of Star Wars on my second tour of duty in Korea, and bought the books where and when I could find them. There are only 3-4 out of the D20 collection that I don't have. PotJ, DSSB, and Geonosis are the only products for the "RPG" I don't have. Not a MINIS fan by the closest margin, but if needing something to represent characters in a quick orderly fashion, nothing wrong with the old MICROMACHINES (which I do have a bunch of)

Haven't done much playing lately, not many gamers in my area for tabletop, and too busy currently to get into a PBP game here.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Started with DnD in 9th grade, moved on to Star Wars in 11th. Currently 18 and On this site, planning on continuing through college.
    From shooting through a TIE Interecteptor viewport with a blaster pistol to setting up a pair of ewoks with a heavy repeating blaster, I aim to please.

Want Conversions of your favorite Sci-Fi ships into SWRPG? PM me, the offer is open.

I prefer my drama on the H'net, not RL, thanks. -Vanger Chevane

Sky Pilot

I'm 40 and started gaming when I was 18 or 19. My youngest regular player is 18 and the oldest is in his mid 50s.
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Experienced Player

I am 14 now, got into DnD when I was.....8? Yeah 8. I got into the SWRPG about a year or two ago. I had to start GMing, because no one played it that I knew of. Although I've een into Star Wars since I was like5-6.
    WORDS OF WISDOM: IF U ARE OPTIMISTIC U WILL BE LET DOWN MANY TIMES IN LIFE, PESSIMISTS CAN ONLY BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    Lackland's Laws:
    1. Never be first.
    2. Never be last.
    3. Never volunteer for anything
    Hane's Law:
    There is no limit to how bad things can get.
    and the ever popular
    Murphy's 3rd law
    Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

Thread Information