Thread: A "Kettech Problem"

Question A "Kettech Problem"

Pardon the strange subject title but it was the only way I could honestly put it.

I'm getting ready to start a Darkstryder game and one of the players interested just got done reading the Wraith Squadron set of novels for the "Star Wars X-Wing" series and he wants to try and play a character like "Kettech".

In other words, an Ewok that has been experimented on by the imperials and somehow learned how to fly.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can possibly try to pull this one off?
    Captain Tenjou
    Ran: "Grand Theft Bebop", "Fellowship of Mars Division", "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers" and "Fun with Black Lagoon".

Currently gearing up for "Road Movie to Naboo with Guns"

Veteran Player

What kind of ideas are you looking for?

Things like, "How do I make it so the player can create that character?"

Or more like, "How should I have the rest of the universe react?"

Blog Entries

Default Re: A "Kettech Problem"

Originally posted by captain_tenjou
    In other words, an Ewok that has been experimented on by the imperials and somehow learned how to fly.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can possibly try to pull this one off?
    Star Wars Gamer Number 9 (I believe) has d20 rules for the creation of such characters. It is not the easiest thing to get a hold of (nor do I have my copy at school with me ). With D6, it is more a matter of removing all of the "primitive" qualities from Ewok species traits and enlarging the maximum KNO and TECH caps-- and the character would ostensibly buy more of these two attributes at the expense of the "traditional" Ewok domains.

As far as in-universe implementation is concerned, there should be a good deal of stigma heaped upon the character by many NPCs and perhaps PCs intially due to the oddity of it's existance. A good background detail how and why the character managed to get to the point it is currently at is key to making this concpet work.
    Last edited by Rostek; 13 September 2006 at 07:32 AM.
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    Check out Run to the Rim (NEW! Updated 1/24/08!)
    and
    Old Friends, New Republic (Updated 12/27/07)

Well considering that this player has done things with characters that I didn't think would be possible-he made a Jedi Brute for an older game back in the late 90's for example, I'm thinking it'd be more for something to challenge him as a player than sheer wonkyness.

Also, I forgot to mention that it's for d6 version and not d20. My bad, but thank you for the davice on the d20 front-I've got that saved just in case I switch it over to d20 using the Darkstryder d20 conversions.
    Captain Tenjou
    Ran: "Grand Theft Bebop", "Fellowship of Mars Division", "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers" and "Fun with Black Lagoon".

Currently gearing up for "Road Movie to Naboo with Guns"

Veteran Player

Well, first off, what time frame is your game set in??

Piggy and ketch both were from Zjini's mind, and operation, not other groups.. Also, they were the few who got out/// So unless he can come up with a GREAT! excuse as to where he came form, why he was operated on, and how he got out, i would say NO>1`

Next, would be the cybernetiuc enhancements he would have to get for his arms and legs. All of which would cost.... and since he is an excapee from an imperial research facility, how would he have any to spend??
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Registered User Terras Jadeonar & Raven's Avatar
    Twi'lek Maseuse room, Spa Resort on Ryloth

you've got a point there wolfe. Kettch and Piggy were one of the few that were experimented on by Zjinj's project and escaped.

However.... This is starwars, a vast galaxy, and theres a large enough Empire to control most of it... If there could be one or two surviving gone hermit Jedi, just enough of a serries of events to cross paths with the son of Anakin, and train him to become a Jedi despite the galactic undoing his father helped created in the first place....

Then why can't there be another inteligent ewok? either by natural development (born with super iq), or product of another experimentation lab in the Empire by Zjinj or another Imperial warlord? Ysanne Isard aka 'Iceheart' was up to her own nasty experimentation program on brainwashing and sleeper agents.

Being the Empire considers non humans to be lesser beings, and the more primitive races like Ewoks as pets or semi-inteligent show-things (like one would own a pet monkey like an Orangutan or the smaller Capuchin (the species featured in Pirates of the Carribean)... Its entirely possible one was rasied in captivity from cubling and then experimented on or kept as a pet and only as a pet and scolded for displaying anything but expected pet behavior... In this captivity and exposure to technology everyday, the Ewok by nature is a highly creative species in their own right, could have learnt what it needed to escape and survive and get by in the galaxy... (the Ewoks designed and built their own tree village, live in a tribal comunity, have their owndeveloped written and spoken language...)

Its even quite possible, this particular Ewoks parents were experimented on, including any further genetic tampering on him before he was even born...

Whatever the case, however slim and rare, its certainly not impossible...

Although, I wouldn't let him start with prosthetics. You and the group in part would have to facilitate him in other ways to allow him to be an asset to the team, and allow him to earn a set of prosthetics to be used... Have him be a co-pilot or gunner, and scout, or the guy who's able to get in through really small places like ductwork that only a kid, Ewok, Jawa or Squib would fit through.

In an X-wing, behind the pilot's seat theres a stowage compartment which could be modified to seat the Ewok and still let him be useful, or modify the astromech socket with a life-support dome, and have the fighter be strictly a scout/reconaisance unit, let the pilot do the flying and the Ewok do the scanning and identifying.

Heck heres another crazy idea- swap around the Ewok wih the astromech. Strap the astromech in the pilot's cockpit, and put the Ewok in the astromech socket with a protective dome... and pack the rest of the pilot's cockpit with extra gear and what not...

Likewise, keep the astromech and socket as-is, and specially modify the one xwing's cockpit interior to allow an ewok or other small sized species to pilot the fighter...

I mean, C'mon, all you need to do is think outside the box here, use some creativity and be original, instead of doing an exact Kettch example.

How do Sullustans get around in the galaxy that's built around and for mainly medium sized species? Or Squibs for that matter, who own and pilot frieghters as capable as any other species?

As you said captain_tenjou:
    Well considering that this player has done things with characters that I didn't think would be possible-he made a Jedi Brute for an older game back in the late 90's for example, I'm thinking it'd be more for something to challenge him as a player than sheer wonkyness.
    However, this would be a fun and creational challenge of thinking and application for both of you
    Last edited by Terras Jadeonar & Raven; 17 September 2006 at 03:02 AM.
    ├ 3D Art @: Star Wars Artist Guild Member GalleryDeviantArt Gallery (New!)
    ├ Websites: Co-GM of: Q:TU Rebel #2 (Status: On Hold) ● "The Camp" (Status: Offline)
    ├ RPG Info: Signature #46: My Repertoire of RPGs (Updated: 09/09/2006)
    Please, just refer to me as TJR OR Terras. thx! (08/16/08)

Cool The Holocron Speaks: Intelligent Ewoks?

Who the heck is saying that Ewoks are unintelligent? Sounds like the anti-alien bias of the Imperial Survey team to me. There is absolutely NOTHING to indicate that Ewoks are either unintelligent or sub-untelligent or in ANY way incapable of becoming serious, dangerous, technically proficient individuals once exposed to the greater SWU.

There is one very blatant EU source for this OTHER than Kettch, and that is the Ewok Co-pilot and enforcer highlighted in the Swarm War Trilogy: Tarfang

Another is the Pre-Gen PC I generated for my A-Series Slavelords campaign crossover:Blodgett the Worldy Ewok Scout.

(I'd post the link to his STATS on the holonet, but they are in the 200+ posts of mine that have been ZONKed in one way or another over various Holonet resets and space saving deletes. I have copies elsewhere, I'll just have to go get them and post them later.)

He's the become Computer slicer, getaway driver and back-stabbing sneak-thief for the group. He is fully proficient in blasters (and knives) and is someone you really don't want to try to belly-rub. I mean C'mon the Ewoks were going to Cook alive and EAT the Hero's party on Endor, they are not cuddly, and they are not stupid. They are merely height challenged and have the label "primitive" heaped upon them like a rancid stereotype. Anything a Squib, Jawa, Sullustan, Drall, or Ugnaught can do, an Ewok can eventually do furrier and meaner.

Respect the Smalls!
    FULONGAMER aka Johannes M. Bowers
    It's not My planet Monkey-boy! / I Waste Him With My Bowcaster!
    THIS is my LIGHT-Stick!, The next one of you Furry Tree-Hugger Yub-Yub Primitives EVEN TOUCHES me....**FZOOOK**

Well, "Primitive" more describes the Ewok's tech level reached, as say pre industrial, in view of galactic standards... They still have fire, but not electricity.

Their genius and ingenuity they built their tree vilages, built cutting & peircing tools, basic but functional vine rope-pulley systems, pull-carts, gliders, village defense mechanisims - the swing log device that pulverised / pancaked an AT-ST (so tell me how they got such heavy logs up there in the first place?)

Goes to show they're bright and highly adept. Show them once how something works and they'll do it, like pull a trigger on a blaster pistol.

where as an animal can discover by accident of repeated trial and error that putting a paw on a lever will make something happen. Or it can be taught over time how to do that basic task. but thats all the animal will know or understand.

I don't know if the average Ewok would be able to grasp advanced mathmatics to slice code - especially one thats already adult thats been living in the tribal village since he was born.

But I would not doubt an Ewok who's either exceptionally high in IQ above the rest, or one who's been born & raised offworld with full exposure in the galactic society, or taken as adult from his homeworld and genetically altered/enhanced/experimented on to reach a new heightened level of IQ than of the average ewok... in which is likely the main exampled difference between an ewok like Kettch - who could calculate hyperspace co-ordinates vs the average native Endor born & raised ewok.

when i exampled an ewok kept as a pet, i'll further elaborate. Ok, an ewok cubling taken from his vilage by a moff or general, seen as a neat pet to give to his daughter. so they treat it soley as a pet, ignorant of the ewok's capacity for inteligence and adaptness. Lets say by 10-15 yrs when the child is now a teenager or young adult, the ewok's more than learnt enough to be fed up, and know how to escape and how to survive in the galaxy. And this in part is also by constant companion-like exposure to the child, who would be inadvertantly teaching the ewok as she herself learns through growing up (you know- little girls - dolls, doll houses, pretend tea parties, or like ths day in age of computers - learn to use a computer or tv at as early age of 5 and up - they may not know how to read but knowing that said mouse and pressed buttons make shapes on the screen move)... Its all about environment and exposure at a very early age.

No different than adults today, those that are 50+ especially, such a thing called computers never existed in their childhood, or at least not anything that was smaller than a extremely huge room, hence no exposure to it. And at best were futuristic creations written only in fictional books... Where as today, we've got computers in our homes, our children born are exposed to it at their earliest ages, and by 5 years are already sitting at it with parental help, watching the shapes on the screen move and pressing buttons to make it happen... But yet, somebody 50+ who's never gotten into computers by the early to mid 80's still wouldn't have much clue how to use one let alone turn it on. exception being individuals who are fairly bright and adept at learning and catching on quicker than the average person for their age... HOwever, its not to say that the average someone of 50+ couldn't still learn the basics how to use one and browse the net. There are Computer lesson classes for seniors (+65) today, and indeed they are learning!

same thing for the ewok who climbed onto that one speederbike on endor in Return of the Jedi... started fidling with it, pushing this, pulling that... given time and exposure or even proper instruction, the ewok will soon be zipping through the forrest on it with adequate skill for knowing how to operate it.
    Last edited by Terras Jadeonar & Raven; 17 September 2006 at 06:00 AM.
    ├ Websites: Co-GM of: Q:TU Rebel #2 (Status: On Hold) ● "The Camp" (Status: Offline)

Angry The Holocron Speaks: Nature vs Nurture

That is still a horrible underestimation of a sapient species. Are you giving the same odds to the girl who was kept captive the last eight years? Would you give the same odds to the peoples of 3rd world countries or even isolated tribal cultures who are exposed to the technology of the modern world more and more each day?

Even in the old movies "The Gods Must Be Crazy (1 & 2)" gave aboriginal man far more credit that you seem willing to give the Ewoks.

Here is another example (other than the already documented Tarfang from the Dark Nest Trilogy) of the kind of "backstory" that could easily justify a competent and cosmopolitan Ewok immersed in the greater SWU....(yeak, it's an old character still in D6 format)

Name: Blodgett
    Type: Worldly Ewok Scout
    DEXTERITY 4D
    Archaic weapons (sling) 5D, Blaster (Hold-out Blaster) 4D+1, Brawling Parry 5D, Dodge 6D, Melee Combat 5D, Melee Parry 5D, Pick Pocket 5D+2
    KNOWLEDGE 3D
    Cooking (Gourmet) 5D, Languages 3D+2, Streetwise 3D+1, Survival 4D, Willpower 3D+2
    MECHANICAL 2D+1
    Beast Riding 5D, Glider 4D+1, Repulsorlift Operation 4D
    PERCEPTION 3D+2
    Bargain 4D+2, Con 4D, Hide 5D+2, Search 5D+2, Sneak 5D+2
    STRENGTH 2D+1
    Brawling 3D+2, Climbing/Jumping 5D+2, Stamina 6D, Swimming 3D,
    TECHNICAL 2D+2
    Demolition 3D, Computer Programming/Repair 4D, First Aid 3D+1, Primitive Construction 3D+2, Security 4D+1
    Special Abilities:
    Smell: Ewoks gain +1D to search when tracking by scent
    Force Points: 2
    Character Points: 8
    Move: 7
    Equipment: Sling w/20 bullets (STR+2, 3-10/20/40), Knife (STR+2), Hold-out Blaster (3D, ammo 6), Modified Cresh Camo Armor (+1D physical, +2 energy, +1D to Search/PER difficulty if wearer motionless), leather backpack, Security Systems Tool Kit
    Description: Blodgett is just under a meter tall and has rust colored fur with black bands. He weighs just under 30 kilos and makes for a fairly thin, if plush, Ewok. While he will adopt the “Oh, cute Ewok” stereotype to fool others, those who know him learn that he is a technically adept and imaginative being and that he will knife someone who tries to pet him, or at least bite. Its not sure what unnerves people more, seeing Blodgett with his blaster and computer pad, or climbing into a speeder and hearing “Yub-Yub!” from the controls. With his allies he is invariably honest to a fault, however, to his enemies he is disturbingly cruel and even hateful.
    Capsule: (templated from male halfling thief/5) From the day you arrived in the village, everyone knew there was something strange about you. First, there was where you were born, in one of the great silver boats that sail the stars. Your parents had stowed away aboard one and came back months later on another with a newborn wokling. The village Elders did not know what to make of an Ewok born away from the Great Trees and the village Shaman took it as an ill omen. Your parents didn’t care to have you raised among people who would shun you, and so moved out of the trees and started a nomadic life on the surface herding Rokk-nu’s (a common beast of burden). Great wealth was theirs as they traded with many villages, and you still have the gifts they showered on you as you grew. Of course, that was not enough for you. You were filled with wanderlust early on and were constantly running away from home faster than home could run after you. One day, you came across one of those legendary metal boats and saw the strange beings that crewed it. Little did you know they saw you too. You were captured by a seedy band of Star Pirates who had set down for repairs and imprisoned as a virtual pet by their Captain. Only the fact that she was as absent-minded as she was cruel allowed you to eventually escape on a distant world. You spent the years leading up to your name-quest moving around and eking out a meager existence off the charity of these “humans”, growing to adulthood among aliens and the stars. You found one group of beings that moved around almost enough to suit you, and were willing to teach you a trade by which you could make your own way, they called their tribe “Rebel” and were at war with the great tribe “Empire”. Because you never strayed far from the kitchens, you were given the option to cook for you supper, and have done surprisingly well. All the effort you put into trying to re-create good home cookin’ has even earned you the title “gourmand” by those who get over their initial mistrust. Still, you had a habit of poking into things and running off that led you one day into a room where some of your new tribe were communing with the spirits in what they called the Kahm-PooTahs. You slipped into one of the chairs that was unoccupied (the tech had gone to the ‘fresher) and began drumming away like the others were to see if the spirits would talk to you too. Much to everyone’s surprise, they did. The rebels had been unsuccessfully trying to slice a damaged data core retrieved from an Imperial frigate and you opened the files that they had been unable to. Since that day you have learned much about the galaxy. You found out that your paws could explore farther than your feet ever could, and somehow you were naturally adept at it. The rebels took new stock of your skills and the SpecOps commanders found a use for both your native skills and your hidden talents.

You don't need "Genetic Experimentation" ot augmentaion to make a technicaly savvy Ewok. You need experience and exposure. Young or Old, no one is so "set in their ways" that they are restricted from expanding their horizons beyond what others would seek to impose upon them.
    THIS is my LIGHT-Stick!, The next one of you Furry Tree-Hugger Yub-Yub Primitives EVEN TOUCHES me....**FZOOOK**

neat.

You don't need "Genetic Experimentation" ot augmentaion to make a technicaly savvy Ewok. You need experience and exposure. Young or Old, no one is so "set in their ways" that they are restricted from expanding their horizons beyond what others would seek to impose upon them.
    i believe i said that with the elaborated ewok taken as a pet - which needent be genetically altered;

As well as the senior computing classes. theres a fitness + educational center near one of the senior living complexes in the city, so the center offers computer classes for seniors, and for never having used a computer in their life, theu're actually doing pretty good learning.... However, its not likely any of them would start tapping keys at random and hack the windows operating system or write a computer virus or wind up with a page of html web code

if a person isn't in an environment where she/he can get exposure to such things (like a peice of technology such as a computer in somebody's home or classroom), then said individual won't grow/gain experiance in that field.

i'm not ruling out that the odd senoir in this case analogy wouldn't pirchase one and be brave, bold, and curios enough to try learning a computer on their very own.

ahh well...

Every game is different, as well as individual opinions. And while the galaxy full of people consists of mainly the average/common person for every species, theres always the exception standing out from the norm. Thats what makes those individuals extra talented, unique and special. And who better to be a heroic character than one that stands out from above the norm?
    Last edited by Terras Jadeonar & Raven; 17 September 2006 at 10:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Thus Spake The Friendly Neighborhood Mod

Just a friendly reminder to remain civil, folks-- no one has crossed any lines yet, but we have come into the sight of them a couple of times.

Please remember that speculation on the relative intelligence and capability of differant sapiant species is just that: speculation. As is, God forbid, debating the psychological and sociological variables involved in the genesis of ability for non-existance species: we barely understand our own developmental tendancies enough to legitimately argue about them.

No definitive conclusion can possibly be reached and therefore it is not a good idea to argue the point in a thread devoted to a specific GM's request for ideas for a specific character, in case anyone is tempted. If you want to discuss the subject, start another thread or do it through PM or email. I'm sure the result would be decidedly enlightening.

Please stick to offering the Original Poster the best advice you can, and not arguing over the reletive merits of others' ideas. Each GM's conception of the universe is differant, and he will use his own criteria for determining what constitutes a reasonable concept.

Thank you for your continued forbearance and cooperation,

Rostek
    Moderator, Gamemaster Discussion Forum
    Last edited by Rostek; 17 September 2006 at 08:53 PM.
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    Check out Run to the Rim (NEW! Updated 1/24/08!)
    and
    Old Friends, New Republic (Updated 12/27/07)

Cool The Holocron Speaks: Player's Objective

In any case, what is really at the heart of the matter is what exactly the player in question is trying to get away with. If he's just wanting a cool character with a unique twist, that is one thing and is easily achievable with anything from a custom Cockpit, to specialized prosthetic extensions (ALA Kettch), to simply being good enough to take the situational penalties associated with being a "Small" in a "Medium" world.

But, if the player is specifically looking to be an engineered bioweapon, coming complete with a substitute suite of assassin skills and eiditic memory and genetically engineered immunities and whatever else is on the mongo-powergamer plate, then you have to act with caution and restraint, as you fly him directly into the aft exhaust of an SSD.

He should have to spend the skill points and/or feats to develop beyond the "normal" ewok, overcoming the listed "restrictions" by rising above them. Whatever is on the you "can't start with...." list can be gotten later, you are not forbidden from acquiring anything, and money will accommodate the rest. It doesn't have to be bizzare, there are enough other critters and creatures out there in similar straits that somewhere there is a shipbuilder that can accommodate them.

First determine what approach you are taking, whether it will be:
    1) Development an "aboriginal" Ewok Endor native who will have some kind of NPC or PC 1st level suitable for such and is either played through advancement into whatever he's going to be...
    (or a target "starting level" is picked for joining the party, and with the1st level being something as above)

2) Or some kind of Ewok Ex-patriate, either pre-or post RotJ who has been fully raised out in the greater SWU (Freeborn, Slave escapee, Rebel recuit, whatever)

3) Or some bizzarre Zsinj or other "experiment" (for the powergamer, although even THAT can be reined in carefully with balancing flaws)

Era may have a great deal to do with the suitability of the backstory, so pay attention to it, and enjoy! Good luck.

Veteran Player

Agreed. IMO era will have a BIG part to play in whether this could be possible. Does anyone know anything about Endor prior to ROTJ??
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Cool The Holocron Speaks: Ewok Exporters, Ltd.

Originally posted by wolverine
    Agreed. IMO era will have a BIG part to play in whether this could be possible. Does anyone know anything about Endor prior to ROTJ??
    Unfortunately the only real sources we have for that other than the Endor Historical references in the Movie Trilogy SBs from D6 and D20 are the Ewok kiddie movies and the Ewoks cartoons and comics.

It has been visited by both the Imperial Survey corps, and assorted maroonings, temporary pirate drop pointsa, and other such itinerant visitors, but nothing fixed in the greater scheme of things until the coming of the Empire to establish the ground base for the DS2 construction project.

This is good and bad, as although it does not explicitly state any specific core of ewok exporting opportunities, it is vague enough that you are left attempting to prove a negative. As long as it is not too outrageous, almost anything can be used for the Pre-RotJ eras, from stowaway, to slavers, to big (or small) game hunters and more.

Just as a side note, I once ran a campaign of nothing but six ewok bounty hunters. They used pack-hunting like tacktics, flew there own ships, and used blasters. They all shared a YT-1300 (more than enough space for them) and converted the cargo area in to holding cells.

The back story was a group of stow-aways got aboard a pirate vessle. The cruel master tarined them like attack dogs, wich worked out great as people almost always underestimated them. Eventually they killed the crew and sold the ship to buy there own YT-1300.

Even though they were all ewoks, they were not to be triffled with. Needless to say this was a fun campain, and of course there brutality got them into a lot of trouble, and eventually was the groups undoing as they all died in a fire fight on Nal-Hutta. But they were definitly no slackers when it cam to technology.
    Passion and determination are nothing without purpose and direction.

Thread Information