Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what's exciting about the Rebellion Era?

Default So, what's exciting about the Rebellion Era?

I've just recently been asked to join a new RPG group that will be set in the Rebellion Era. I've been playing in the Rise of the Empire Era since Theed came out (a little NJO too). Haven't done much with any other era since the WEG days.

So... what exciting things can happen in the Rebellion Era? Obviously the movie content... but apart from that, what should i consider for chracter background, etc?! I'm well versed in the EU so I'm not looking for specific details from a specific source. Moreso, I'm looking for interest and excitement in specific or generalized events/ideas.

Thanks!

Character Portrait Artist

One of my favorite things about the Rebellion Era is the "underdog" nature of the good guys. Rebels are often scrappy, underfunded, jack-of-all-trades (depending on when in the era you are), and often have to rely on underground connections to get material and information they need. In contrast, the bad guys are well-funded, highly organized, and very, very numerous.

As far as events go, the sky's the limit, I say. Launch a sabotage on a top-secret Imperial Superweapon, which renders it useless. Help a number of trapped Rebels escape an Imperial prison/base/world.

I'm also a fan of smugglers. Thumb your nose at the patrols, then punch it to light speed!

As far as character background goes. A lot of that depends on you and your tastes. You could play a young, green Rebel soldier, a fighter jock, smuggler, bounty hunter, you name it. So what kind of things are you interested in doing?
    Modesty is like Dark Side Points. Everyone has their own opinion on where to draw the line.

Player/author/illustrator for Tam Dawncaller in Star Wars: Tapestry

I've relinqueshed control of my Insanity

I don't know about the whole 'superweapon' thing, but that is alot of good ideas. One thing you may want to consider is looking at the old WEG books covering the era (which there are plenty of, if you can find them). Personally I have always been a fan of Pirates and privateers. Many many ideas in there.

You may want to ask the group what 'norms' they have in their campaigns. Like strormtroopers, are they all clones, recruited or mixed? If they are recruited or mixed, you could be a former stormtrooper or pilot or whatever. If all cloned, well, I am hesitant to suggest defecting clone, but maybe army/navy trooper who likely where not clones. Or work for one of the Empires many security agencies (active undercover or defecting) or be a struggling Pirate/Privateer.

As far as events, well I am sure the GM will have plenty of those planned. What could happen? Pirates/privateers. Cime lords (using the former and more). Mercenary and smuggling jobs for anyone (Empire, Rebelion, crime lords, 'collectors', etc). Fighting off Imperial Attaks, participating in Imperial Attacks, attacking the Empire. The 'New Order' really wasn't all that orderly. At least in Rim areas and regions where the Rebellion was active. The Core was fairly stable, with a few exceptions (Shadows of the Empire anyone?). I think it is fairly easy to have small events happening durring this era that don't mean much or could save whole worlds without disturbing the flow of 'known' events. Or find opportunities to interfere with or change known events. Become 'Darth Bob' or some such.

Only thing you will have trouble with is being a Jedi. not to many left (personally I discount the EU and figure there are only 2 left. some EU, like clone war's comics, would make it seem you could found a whole new order with just the surviving jedi, which doesn't seem right to me). Even being a Force Adept is likely to draw unwanted attention your way, light or dark side.
    Reality is but a figment

Veteran Player

As a twist, why not play a rebellion era game, from fringers perspective... THe empire was bad for the most part to fringers...
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Originally posted by wolverine
    As a twist, why not play a rebellion era game, from fringers perspective... THe empire was bad for the most part to fringers...
    Not a bad idea. Truthfully I've always wanted to play from the perspective of the Empire... as a soldier, officer, trooper - whatever, just someone completely loyal to the Imperial way of life and thought. Killing Rebels, slaving non-humans, etc. With no moral qualms about it.

New Player

I would consider the most interesting time period of the GCW era to be about 5-10 years BBY. There is no "Rebel Alliance" at this point, so involvement in any of the 3 main Rebel groups or smaller militias is possible. You also have any of the other options of the Galactic Civil War: an Imperial fighting for rank and status, bounty hunters and thriving crime syndicates, Jedi fighting to remain unknown, members of the Inquisitorious or Emperor's Hands fighting for their missions, etc. I chose 5-10 because this is virtually identical to the known Rebel era: the time period is close enough that Solo is a smuggler, Fett is a feared bounty hunter, Vader has earned his status as the Sith Lord we all know.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

experienced groundpounder

There are lots of ideas that can be used in the Rebellion Era. Too many for me to list in one post, lol. But seriously, there is rough data about what is available in the years coming up to the Civil War between the Rebels and Empire.

To me that is the more interesting Era to get into, and that's why starting a game in 13 days here on the holonet about it. Players are starting out the day After the Empire is Declared by Palpatine. Playtesting of new sourcebook weapons, vehicles and such is one thing that you can do leading up to the Rebellion. Think about it, you can "Test Drive a Walker?!" and report to Colonel Veers about how it handles. You can be a captain or a crew member of the First Imperial Star Destroyer off the line.

The possibilities are limitless in any era really, but more so for the Clone Wars and Rebellion Eras.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Veteran Player

Originally posted by Stratos

Not a bad idea. Truthfully I've always wanted to play from the perspective of the Empire... as a soldier, officer, trooper - whatever, just someone completely loyal to the Imperial way of life and thought. Killing Rebels, slaving non-humans, etc. With no moral qualms about it.
    I have done the whole imperial angle befoer, with them being ISB agents. BUT even then, the moral quams were still there. I just had them being people who felt the empire was trueoly better for the galaxy..
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

New Player

Originally posted by wolverine

I have done the whole imperial angle befoer, with them being ISB agents. BUT even then, the moral quams were still there. I just had them being people who felt the empire was trueoly better for the galaxy..
    They could be storm troopers. They have no morals beyond loyalty to the Emperor.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by Darth Iurus

They could be storm troopers. They have no morals beyond loyalty to the Emperor.
    Right, or ambitious but moral characters - like Pallaeon - who tryly think the Empire is a glorious institution.

experienced groundpounder

heck, they could even become a group of warlords and go at it against each other for rule of the Empire while fighting the Rebels as well. Political intrigue, battles, etc.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Experienced Player
    Commanding the Iron Braclet, A Victory II Class Star Destroyer

Let's not forget there are other baddies out there other than the Empire. The Guilds had strangle holds on the businesses they "represented" and amounted to little more than mobsters collecting protection money. Fighting the guilds while staying under the Empires scopes and avoiding entanglments could be a little... interesting.

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

Oh, now there's an interesting moral dilemma for a campaign setting: baddies vs. baddies. The Empire against the guilds, the mobs, or those fringe terrorists that have been causing so much trouble on the Outer Rim. What do they call themselves? Yeah, the Rebel Alliance. Or the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I mean, really, who wants to go back to the old way anyway? What a bunch of radical kooks.

Oh, how the lines would blur...

But as the legal form of government... why is the Empire bad?

Just kidding.

I'm thinking about playing an Arcona Scoundrel who is teamed up with a Rodian Pilot and together they are smugglers working for either a Guild or Black Sun. Eventually they have a run in with an "Imperial entanglement" that leaves them scare-poodoo-less and they start to aide the Rebellion against the Empire.

Experienced Player
    Commanding the Iron Braclet, A Victory II Class Star Destroyer

How did the Rebellion start? Not the Alliance, but the galatic civil war. They probably were terrorists to start with. So who are the true bad guys? I just don't see a lot of the background universe as clear cut as the movies portray. Maybe it's just me, but I see good guys on both sides of the civil war, and with some exceptions (the big ones of Luke, Vader, and the Emporer) it doesn't seem a struggle of good and evil so much as opposing views on government.

Thread Information