Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snubjock Game in the Works

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

Default Snubjock Game in the Works

Hey one, hey all. With life calming down a bit on all fronts, and with some inspiration, I've decided to organize a fighter pilot game. My PbP roster has also stabilized to a set of fairly regular games with fairly regular activity for the first time in ages, and I've been in the mood for a game like this for a while. So I sat down to set up a storyline, and things just fell into place.

Apologies to my boys from my on-hold underworld game, its not that I've ditched that idea, just that its going to take alot of time and effort to make it the story I want it to be, and I don't want to shortchange anyone involved in it from the entertaining story they deserve. Know this, though: you all have preference if you want involved as a snubjock here.

So, without futher ado, a premise:

The heros of this adventure will start off as young adults (16 to...oh maybe 24 years old), who live on a colony world that has large systems of mines. The heros, who all know each other, and in fact live in the same mountain town, have seen the empire move in and control their world. Half of their town has been put to work in the mines, the other half in the Imperial repair yards at the garrison. Even their recreation has been affected: the heros, who love racing through the mountains and canyons in high speed vehicles of every sort, have had to strip down their rides to comply with Imperial regulations, and use them to scout out new mineral deposits for mining. While the kids dont like it, they really dont see much they can do about it. But their world is about to change, as events are put into motion that will change their lives, and the galaxy forever...

This adventure will begin several years before the events depicted in Episode 4, and will progress through to the end of that movie. The heros will follow to formation of the Rebellion from isolated cells of dissidents to the full fledged faction that is the Rebel Alliance. While the characters will all be pilots, and the game will focus almost exclusively on this aspect of the Galactic Civil War, this is not a 'fighter squadron' game. It will focus on the characters themselves, not the ships they fly or the groups they fly with. It will concentrate on the choices and actions of the heros, not rolling dice or calculating attack bonuses.

I hope to make this game more like a developing story than a series of furballs. While I understand that the furball is what every snubjock lives for (and there will be plenty of them), I hope to also give you enough variety in them so that it doesn't get repetitive, as well as enough differences in your social environment that it becomes an entertaining, well-balanced game, as opposed to a monotonous 'lather, rinse, repeat' affair.

Now, on to the nitty-gritty:

Level: 3
    Force: None. At all.
    Abilities: 32 point buy
    JC 77: 6+Int skill point adjustment only
    Vitality: Full
    Species: RCRB. UAA upon approval.
    Equipment: As per HG credits
    Droids: No droid PCs will be allowed
    Sources: All official WotC, published material should be okay. WotC site material needs approval, other sources, probably not, but you can ask.
    Player Selection: My choice, based on a number of factors, including strength of character concept, player rep, and past experience.

Also, I'm looking for 3 or 4 players total, as we already have one onboard. And all characters should be currently living on the mountainous mining planet of Callikhar in the outer rim. It's pretty much like any other mountainous region on earth, as the mining isn't strip mining, and it hasnt reached the point where it's affecting the environment noticably anywhere except the mine areas themselves. The town itself, Trindam's Pass, is quite small (only a few thousand in population), and high up in the mountains, close to several mines, as well as the Imperial garrison, the location of the lone starport on the planet, as well as a huge repair yard that services several nearby military instrallations as well as the local miners. The PCs should be talented pilots who love racing speeders as well as their fighters through the mountains. We'll deal with fighters once we have players picked out.

Any other questions should be asked right here, so that everyone can benefit from their answer.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Rules Lawyer

"pokes head in and mucks thread up as usual"

Greetings folks.. I'm gonna be helping Cold out with this shindig as an assistant GM. Good luck in the selection process Hope to see ya in the IC thread and beyond..
    “Idealist: a cynic in the making.”

Blog Entries

Well, since you're delaying my underworldy action , cold, I suppose I feel the need to butt in on this one

So, without further nonsense here's what I cranked out of the TPTMNBN and my brain, respectively:

Duncan Kelleck: Adult Male Human (22), Scoundrel 2/Scout 1; Init +2 (+2 Dex); Def 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Class); Spd 10m; VP/WP 23/12; Atk +2 melee (1d3+1, punch), +2 melee (1d4+1, Knife), +2 melee (1d8+1, Welding Laser/Cutting Torch), +3 or -1/-1 ranged (3d6, Blaster [Pistol]); SQ Illicit barter, Lucky (1/day); SV Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1; SZ M; FP: 0; Rep: +0; Str 12, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12.

Equipment: All-Temperature cloak, Blaster [Pistol], Comlink, Credit Chip, Flight suit, Knife, Utility Belt, Welding Laser/Cutting Torch

Skills: Appraise +4, Astrogate +8, Bluff +6, Computer Use +8, Craft (starfighters) +8, Demolitions +7, Disable Device +8, Forgery +8, Hide +5, Knowledge (Streetwise) +9, Knowledge (Tactics) +6, Knowledge (Technology) +7, Knowledge (World lore) +8, Move Silently+3, Pilot +13, Profession (mechanic) +3, Read/Write Basic, Repair +11, Speak Basic, Speak Bothese, Speak Huttese

Feats: Heroic Surge, Skill Emphasis (Pilot), Spacer, Starship Operation (starfighter), Weapons Group Proficiency (blaster pistols, blaster rifles, simple weapons)

Duncan Kelleck was born on space transport somewhere between Coruscant and Callikhar, a month early—in what would become a pattern over the rest of his life.
    His father, a hypernautic engineer, had been blacklisted after an incident involving a senator’s personal shuttle and “an infernal rattling that I told them to fix!”

After reading up, he decided to move himself and his small family to the Rim, where such political matters are usually ignored when it is convenient, and where Duncan’s mother, a school teacher, could practice her craft away from the endlessly bureaucratic bylaws of the Coruscant Educational Board.

Nev Kelleck opened a small starship repair bay with the remains of his savings, and has been a fixture in the small town’s starport for the last twenty-two years, showing an impressive ability to stay out of political entanglements—Clone Wars included. Duncan helped his father at the bay from an early age, mostly handling deliveries and such until high school, when he began doing basic repairs. Shortly thereafter, the Empire nationalized the last private facilities at the starport, and both Kelleck men began doing their work for the Imperial repair yards.

Specializing in engine repairs, Duncan is generally well regarded as an efficient worker who doesn’t complain, and always observes the correct niceties when dealing with the Imperial officials. In private, Duncan despises the regime that ruined his friends’ parents and, perhaps, just a little out of bitterness over his rejected Academy application (he failed the physical three times).

Duncan is not a typical speed junkie—he enjoys the technical aspect of flying and repairing vehicles more than the challenge or competition, and has been known to assist his less engineering-minded friends and associates in modifying their craft.

At 6’1” and 220 pounds, Duncan is the anti-stereotype of a pilot—a bulky, quiet man who is not overtly friendly nor distant, and generally does not attract attention upon entering a room, but might nevertheless be the worldwise “big brother” for younger members of the social group in question. With dark hair and cool blue-gray eyes set in a broad face, Duncan is not particularly handsome or ugly; he is, in a word, average in all respects though one would think him a few years older than his twenty two years.

EDIT: Made a mistake in one of my calculations (such is life). Decided to change a thing or two in the process to better fit the concept. Nothing major, I assure
    Last edited by Rostek; 28 February 2007 at 05:02 PM.
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    Check out Run to the Rim (NEW! Updated 1/24/08!)
    and
    Old Friends, New Republic (Updated 12/27/07)

Hardcore Player
    That One Place (You know, where that one guy did that one thing)

I'll give it a shot. Expect a character by sunday.
    "Two Irishmen walk out of a bar. It could happen!"~Walter Cronkite

"SURGEON-GENERAL'S WARNING: Under no circumstances should you consume alchohol and play an RPG game using Wizards of the Coast d20 system at the same time. Failure to abide by this warning will most likely result in moderate injuries, property damage, brain damage, hurt feelings, lost dice, mutilated books, and very annoyed GM's."~Smuggler Jedi

See my games HERE

Immoderator

Dirge "the Urge" Weston: adult male human Scoundrel 2/Soldier 1; Init +3 (Dex); Def 16 (+3 Dex, +3 class); Spd 10m; VP/WP 22/10; BAB +2, +2 melee (1d4, knife), +5 ranged (3d6, blaster pistol) or +5 ranged (3d8, blaster rifle); SQ Illicit barter, lucky (1/day); SV Fort +2 Ref +6 Will +1; SZ M; FP 0; Rep 0; Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 11.
    Equipment: Hunting knife, blaster pistol, blaster rifle, comlink, flight suit, explorer's outfit, all-temp cloak.
    Skills: Astrogate +7, Computer Use +6, Diplomacy +4, Disable Device +4, Hide +8, Intimidate +4, Knowledge (tactics) +9, Knowledge (spacer lore) +5, Move Silently +8, Pilot +9, Profession (mercenary) +4, Read/Write Basic, Repair +6, Search +5, Sleight of Hand +4, Speak Basic, Speak Ryl, Speak Shyriiwook, Speak Trandosha, Speak Zeltron, Spot +5, Tumble +8.
    Feats: Armor Proficiency (light), Combat Veteran (Pilot), Perfect Memory, Starship Operation (starfighter), Weapon Group Proficiency (blaster pistol, blaster rifle, heavy weapons, simple weapons, vibro weapons).

Dirge likes going fast. In fact, he loves going fast. His need for speed makes him the most stereotypical of pilots, his desire to just "go faster" clearly written in his eyes when he gets behind the controls of anything that goes. But he's not just a speed demon, Dirge -- known to friends as "The Urge" for his speeding tendencies -- is also a crack shot with a rifle and has managed to sell his services to the highest bidder on several occasions as a guide, a pilot and a sharpshooter and general troubleshooter.

He's also unusual in that he often takes the time to mingle with the prisoners the Imperials use as cheap labor in the mines. He has befriended and spent a lot of time practicing the languages of some of the more common prisoner races...as well as that of the Zeltron girl named Zeia who Dirge had taken an instant liking to. Beyond her alien beauty, she was smart and appreciated Dirge's company in a way he felt nobody else did.

A born fighter, Dirge has a wide array of skills he feels a freedom fighter should possess, and he's an able leader, provided he can work up the confidence to step to the fore. He's worked hard to be the best fighter he can be, and has been waiting for someone else to step to the fore and rally the rest of the colony so he wouldn't have to. He may eventually overcome his lack of confidence, but he'll go kicking and screaming all the way.

Dirge is 17 Imperial standard years old, stands just under 1.8 meters tall with a slim build and has wispy blonde hair that he prefers to keep in a tight military cut, but is often shaggy and gray eyes.
    Last edited by Ardent; 5 March 2007 at 12:49 AM.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

I'm interested.

I have an Idea for a set of Pilot Brothers. Anyone interested?
    From shooting through a TIE Interecteptor viewport with a blaster pistol to setting up a pair of ewoks with a heavy repeating blaster, I aim to please.

Want Conversions of your favorite Sci-Fi ships into SWRPG? PM me, the offer is open.

I prefer my drama on the H'net, not RL, thanks. -Vanger Chevane

Good to see some interest a brewing.

Also, a note, please submit stats in the standard stat-block format, like Rostek. I've seen others preferring a more expanded form of stat organization and I really dislike it (mainly because I have trouble finding everything).

Just a heads up.

Thanks!

What kind of dust?

Hardcore Player

Drendar Morevo!!! You and I have amazingly similar minds!!! I spent all day thinking of an idea for a little tagalong brother concept and was about to try and convince someone to be the older.

I'll send you my idea in a sec.

"SURGEON-GENERAL'S WARNING: Under no circumstances should you consume alchohol and play an RPG game using Wizards of the Coast d20 system at the same time. Failure to abide by this warning will most likely result in moderate injuries, property damage, brain damage, hurt feelings, lost dice, mutilated books, and very annoyed GM's."~Smuggler Jedi

See my games HERE

Spartan Hoplite

would i be able to join?
    Solution to all of life's problems

"Spartans, prepare for glory!"
    -King Leonidas

Originally posted by arget8
    would i be able to join?
    I welcome everyone to submit a character.

After I get all the characters in, I'll be choosing who I'm taking based on a several factors. Keep in mind though that I'm planning on a grand total of 3-5 (possibly 6) players, and I already have one, and two people from my other game already have stats for me, and I've already said that they'll receive preference (both because I've put their game on hold and because that game is invitation-only, meaning those are all players I know to be well-qualified). So that leaves 0-2 openings.

What kind of dust?

Hardcore Player

Drendar and I are starting to write the backstory for our pilot brothers so my post will be delayed until we can get our stories completely coordinated. I will be playing the younger of the two and Drendar will be playing the older.

See my games HERE

Generalissimo of the Mud and Mayehm Society

Hey, everybody.

I've been meaning to get back into this scene for a while now, but I haven't really had enough time. It seems that I will have this time available to me until, well basically next year.

If I can get a chaacter in cold, I'll let you decide on me.
    Days change, seasons change, people don't change

Thanks for the update. While I don't want to hurry anyone into a subpar background, I'll just remind you that those who've got their characters in so far have only a few short paragraphs. While I encourage you to write as much as you'd like, we'd also like to get moving as soon as reasonably possible. In short, I just don't want you thinking that a long background will definitely get you accepted or that a short one will definitely rule you out. So far, we have backgrounds ranging from 2 to 6 paragraphs, and I haven't seen any that were lacking for necessary information.

What kind of dust?

Jedi Princess

Hi, guys. Yes, I'm the player who was already aboard. And I''ve re-done a familiar PC with Cold's OK.

Zarya Zeelas:Adult Female Human, Scout 3; Init +3; Def 16; Spd 10m; VP/WP 24/10; Atk +6 or +2/+2 ranged (3d4, Sporting Blaster Pistol), melee +2 (1d3, punch); SQ: Scout Bonus feat: Starship Ops: starfighter, Trailblaizing, Heart +1; SV Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +4; SZ M; FP: 5; Rep: +0; Str 8, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15.

Equipment Sporting Blaster Pistol w/shoulder hoster, Vibrodagger, Comlink, Macrobinoculars,Tancredi Racing flightsuit/gear/helmet in forest green & pale gold, Medical kit, 2 glow rods, power pack, all-weather cloak, 250 CR

Skills: Appraise +3, Astrogate +9, Climb +3, Computer Use +3, Craft (painting) +4, Handle Animal +4, Hide +5, Knowledge (meteorology) +5, Knowledge (racing) +5, Listen +5, Move Silently +5, Pilot +14, Profession (racer) +5, Read/Write Basic, Repair +6, Speak Basic, Speak Rodian, Speak Sollustan, Spot +7, Survival +5, Swim +1, Treat Injury +3

Feats: Skill Emphasis: Pilot, Spacer; Starship Operation (starfighter), Weapons Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, blaster rifles, simple weapons), Starship dodge

Zarya Zeelas' family has long been associated with Lord Jerec Tancredi & followed him years ago to Callikhar, where he'd relocated his ship customizing business, as he was out of favor with his brother & wanted to avoid "Imperial entanglements." Zarya's mother is his lead mechanic, although Zarya does not seem to have inherited Kresta's talents. The 16 year old prefers flying fast vehicles to making vehicles fly fast. After her older brother & their cousin left to seek their fortune, Zarya decided to bring her "honorary grandpa's" dream of a racing team to life. Unlike her friends Zarya doesn't limit her racing to Callikhar. She travels around the sector competing, hoping to make a name for herself, and her family's business. Generally, she gets to & from races via one of the freighters on the ore routes. In the past she's usually been accompanied by 1 or 2 T-Z people as pit crew (& chaperones), often the Rodian couple Ruuvi & Hasho.
    Unfortunately for both the Tancredis & Zeelases, Imperial entanglements have now come to this mining world. Tancredi's business has been co-opted by the Imps to run repair yard operations & modify the locals' vehicles to the new legal specifications. The "theft" of T-Z Creations (as Zarya views it), the alterations to her racer, & her conscription as a mining scout & observer rankled badly enough with the young girl. Far worse is the treatment of T-Z's people, especially the many non-humans. She has known most of them all her life & thinks of them as aunts, uncles & the like. Zarya can't stand to see them verbally abused--or worse. So far the young woman has listened to Hasho and Lady Zeria Tancredi's warnings to let it go; that "you'd just get roughed up or arrested--if you didn't get killed. And we wouldn't put it past any of the Imp officials here to arrange to take 'personal custody' of a pretty troublemaker."
    Zarya is a small (1.6m, 44kg) human female. She has bright red hair (a hint of her temperament), pale skin, & light, sparkling green eyes. Her checks & nose are dusted with red-brown freckles. When not flying, the teenager likes to hike & even go climbing, but has had little time for any of these since the Imps took over, as they demand so many hours scouting for possible veins. Surprisingly, Zarya doesn't have a droid companion. Instead, no matter where she is or what is going on, Zarya is accompanied by a furry black & white dog named Tango, a gift from Jerec after her brother & cousin left. (Think springer or cocker spaniel) Although Tango is assumed by most to be just a cuddly, beloved pet, he is from hunting stock & is a good watchdog & search animal.

Somnambulic Jedi

Edit: See new character below
    Last edited by Poe; 6 March 2007 at 05:36 PM.

Thread Information