Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Sandwiches

Peccator out of residence

Default Strange Sandwiches

In the same vein as Ronin's What's cooking thread, I have conceived of this as something more specific - a collection of unnormal sandwiches. Let's face it, bread and _insert_here_ is a quick way to get a meal, and the regular sandwich varieties get old.

Feel free to put all sorts of sandwiches here - from the normal two slices of bread to buns, subs, toasted _____, whatever. You could probably even put in a wrap or two.

The only catch is that you have to have to have actually had the sandwich(es) you describe. No telling us about a jalapeno/pickled herring on a bun combo unless you personally know that it actually tastes good! (Of course, what tastes good to me...)

Let the sandwich fun begin! [Hopefully Ronin doesn't mind...]

[Note: a sandwich is defined as the combination of baked dough - leaven or unleavened - and some form of food-like substance encased within. This definition may be flexible.]
    If you want to contact me, a private message will work. I am currently on hiatus, but I will respond.
    Featured Quote: “The trouble is that everyone talks about reforming others and no one thinks about reforming himself.”
    St. Peter of Alcántara

PS: "'Psych' for short. Not Psycho. No o, oh no, no o." Ronin

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

Okay, here's one of my stranger sandwich concoctions...

It starts out like a regular tuna sandwich, but it doesn't stop there. I take the tuna and mix in a little mayo/Miracle Whip. Try spicy mayo for an extra kick. Then I mix in shredded cheddar cheese, salsa (Pace medium is my favorite), stick it between two slices of cheddar cheese, stick that between two slices of bread, and grill the whole thing up. It looks terrible and doesn't smell much better, but it actually tastes pretty good. Says I, anyway.

Jedi Dropout

Okay, anyone who's been to a Baltic country has had a strange sandwich

American fast food?
    A hamburger is technically a sandwich, so that's my first one. Apparently someone skimped a bit on their research when they wanted to open "Springtime American Fast Food" in Bucharest. They had heard that we like lettuce on our burgers, and that we also have a high likelihood of having French fries with our meal. But they don't always have lettuce in Romania, particularly when it's out of season. So, what the heck, why not cabbage? And, there's a lot of cabbage in coleslaw, and it lasts longer anyway, so who would notice the difference if we put that on our "American" burgers? So, you start with a hamburger topped with coleslaw. And of course you get the French fries with that. However, they didn't do enough research to discover that we eat our fries as a side, not a topping. So, you have an all meat (not necessarily beef) patty topped with coleslaw and fries. Weird, but disturbingly satisfying.

I've skipped the coleslaw, but ever since then I'll still put my McDonald's fries on my burger when I think no one is looking. I just got a taste for it.

Cheese from a what?
    Also another favorite, completely incapable of being reproduced here. Romanian mayo is different, I can't explain why, but it makes the best topping for a pickle, fried egg, and cascaval cheese sandwich. Cascaval is a rather smelly, but curiously tasty sheep cheese. No, I don't know how you milk a sheep.

You just can't get 'em like that here...
    Best sandwich I ever had... that's right... in Bucharest again. The day before I left Romania I had lunch in a restaurant with a scrambled egg sandwich topped with pickle, ham, and cheese (I didn't know and wasn't asking what animal it came out of). The pickles just don't taste the same here and they don't make nearly as good a sandwich.

So, my suggestion is that if you want a good sandwich... go to Romania.
    Last edited by cheshire; 7 March 2007 at 08:39 AM.
    "Tedium and drudgery are good for the soul." - Boober Fraggle

D6 Utilities and Fan Books

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

So, you have an all meat (not necessarily beef) patty topped with coleslaw and fries. Weird, but disturbingly satisfying.
    Sounds like Primanti's, a local Pittsburgh sandwish place, known for huge messy sandwiches topped with coleslaw (dry, just shredded cabbage, really) and fresh cut fries. My personal touch is to give it a little kick by dousing it in hot sauce too.

Anyone else ever have a Primanti's?
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Generalissimo of the Mud and Mayehm Society

My favorite type of sandwich is a Steak Sandwich. You take a roll (preferably long) pull out some of the insides (a.k.a. ripping the guts out) to make some more room for the good stuff. Now the good stuff is chip steak, (usually comes in wafers at the store) which is handy in a pinch. I usually like mine fresh, but you know how that goes.

Anyway, you put the steak in a frying pan, fry it up, and if you like, some onions with it. Place it inside the roll, cover it with some cheese, melted or otherwise, and you have it -- an original Philly Steak Sandwich.

I like to top mine with some jalapenoes and hot sauce (and yes, I have had this).

If anyone ever travels to Philly, ask someone where Gino's is, they'll be happy to help you out.

P.S. No hard feelings cold, but I advise anyone in Pittsburgh not to order a Philly Cheese Steak. It's basically what I just said, except with a single piece of white bread. Not too good.

P.P.S. Come to think of it, I advise against ordering a Philly Cheese Steak anywhere but Philly. Not the best of choices.
    Days change, seasons change, people don't change

A Mexican favorite is called the Ni¤o Envuelto (rolled baby)...

You put a sheet of tinfoil paper and lay bread slices without the crust.. then you add your favourite ingredients (can be ham and cheese, or tuna salad), and then you start rolling it making, a spiral (the tinfoil paper just serves as a base, you don't roll the tinfoil paper inside!)... once it is finished it should look like a roll cake and you start taking slices out of it...

best served cold, with beer and with a TV in front of it...
    Mario A. Escamilla (aka Kerk Korpil, Verpine Starship Mechanic)
    http://sequart.org/books/47
    http://puerto-pirata-veracruz.blogspot.mx/

Registered User Terras Jadeonar & Raven's Avatar
    Twi'lek Maseuse room, Spa Resort on Ryloth

OK, here's one i used to make and eat as a kid:

2 white slices of bread, spread on some of Roger's Golden Syrup, and then put a layer of freshly baked french fries - the crinkle cut type from McCain's. Was pretty good tasting actually.
    ├ 3D Art @: Star Wars Artist Guild Member GalleryDeviantArt Gallery (New!)
    ├ Websites: Co-GM of: Q:TU Rebel #2 (Status: On Hold) ● "The Camp" (Status: Offline)
    ├ RPG Info: Signature #46: My Repertoire of RPGs (Updated: 09/09/2006)
    Please, just refer to me as TJR OR Terras. thx! (08/16/08)

Veteran Player

We eat alot of Peanut Butter and Jelly at my house. Because that gets excessively mundane really fast I've tried different types of PB+J.

My favorite is Peanut butter (Creamy) with Chocolate Syrup (the kind you put on ice cream) and lots and lots of melted marshmallow paste. It's awesome.

I also love Peanut butter (Creamy) with several spoonfuls of Nestle Strawberry milk mix powder on it and bananas.

Peanut Butter Jelly and Ice cream is also awesome (Even better if the bread is soggy from having Mountain Dew poured on it.

These have to be my four favorite sandwiches
    I was eating Elmers the other day and it didn't taste like normal. Has anyone else noticed this?

In my mind and in my car
    We can't rewind we've gone too far...

-Video Killed the Radio Star

Originally posted by Mack Jace
    P.P.S. Come to think of it, I advise against ordering a Philly Cheese Steak anywhere but Philly. Not the best of choices.
    now I've never been to Philly so I can't really compare, but in Buffalo there's a chain called Jim's Steak Out, and I've always been a devoted customer. Always being a steak sub/hoagie/philly fan, I've never found anywhere that makes 'em better. I usually get the Diavlo (steak, hot peppers, cheese and 'special sauce') but their Jefferson Ave (steak and italian sausage,cheese, peppers, 'sauce') is awesome as well. I usually don't combine many meats in a sandwhich (and to be honest I'm not a fan of Italian sausage), but the Jefferson is the exception to the rule. If for some reason you ever find yourself in B-lo, Jim's is tradition so DO IT UP.

Originally posted by Yan Kai
    Peanut Butter Jelly and Ice cream is also awesome (Even better if the bread is soggy from having Mountain Dew poured on it.
    wow.... now that sounds interesting. well, if I tried beer and lemonade last night (apparently it's an English drink called 'Chandy' {sp?}), I suppose I can give PBJ+IC drenched w/ the Dew.

my favorite is the classic Peanut Butter (always creamy, never crunchy) and Fluff... ya know, the marshmallow mix. it tastes great and it's fun as hell watching my 4yr old daughter try an eat it petitely.
    stoney-stone

Veteran Player

Sounds awesome Forceful Nature!'

Chandy, hmmm, never heard of it. But then again, I'm not British
    I was eating Elmers the other day and it didn't taste like normal. Has anyone else noticed this?

In my mind and in my car
    We can't rewind we've gone too far...

-Video Killed the Radio Star

The other day I made a patty melt. It wasn't the greatest ever, but for making it myself, I thought it was pretty good. Fairly easy, too. A (square) hamburger patty, some onions, cheese, and a couple of slices of bread... my house smelled like onions for a couple of days.

Yeah, cheshire, coldskier: I can confirm that the fries-and-coleslaw on a sandwich is quite popular where I live too. In fact, there's an excellent joint just around the corner from me that specializes in those sandwiches, prepared panini-style (cooked in a press-type grill).

It's open very late, and a great place to stop for a bite after a late night of -ahem- socializing at the pubs. As a matter of fact... I'm meeting some people for darts soon... I may have to grab a panini on my way home...

(One thing confuses me, cheshire: are you implying that Romania is a "Baltic" country? They moved it? Man... I gotta start reading the newspapers again... )
    "Half the fun of God's forgiveness is having reasons to ask for it."

yeah, I sorta scoffed at it when I saw it, but the girl was a friend of mine and I was coherced into trying it. I know it sounds kinda pansy-ish like a girl drink, but it's rather tasty.

side note: took my mother out to Red Lobster for her b-day tonight and realized another girly-drink vice I have: Iced Raspberry Margaritas.
    stoney-stone

Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
    ... my house smelled like onions for a couple of days.
    lol, mine always does that when I cook bacon. I can stomach it... til the bacon is gone and everything smells like grease.
    stoney-stone

I can stomach it... til the bacon is gone and everything smells like grease.
    Yeah, I guess that's what really bothers me. I don't even mind the smell of onions so much, but there's something about the grease... and of course, a patty melt contains pretty much the human allowance for grease for an entire months, so there was plenty of that.

Thread Information