Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (not the game!!!!)

Experienced Player
    Commanding the Iron Braclet, A Victory II Class Star Destroyer

Default X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (not the game!!!!)

Ok, I've got one here. Has anyone played any SW game lately and slaughtered TIEs with X-wings? How about watching Episode IV lately? I noticed in almost every game/book X-wings are way more powerful than TIEs and slaughter them in masses, but in A New Hope, the X-Wings were exterminated by TIEs. Why do you think this is? It seems to me to be a case of the rebels won in the movie so their equipment *must* be better. The TIEs obvious advantage over X-Wings appears to have fallen by the wayside. Yes, X-wings have shields, stronger weapons and more durable hulls, however people seem to forget that TIEs stats SHOULD be significatly faster and more manuverable than the X-wing.

Veteran Player

True, but the pilots of the rebel ships are generally better than the imperials, which does make up for the better maneuverability of the ties.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

I'd be willing to bet that the Rebel pilots did their share of slaughtering, too. We just don't see as much of that because the Rebels' objective was to get in, drop their torpedoes, and get out. Remember they were on a pretty tight timeline, too. They couldn't afford to say, "Okay, we're gonna wipe out these TIEs and then worry about the Death Star." They were too badly outnumbered to begin with.

TIE's were supposed to have two advantages; two huge blaster cannons welded to the hull, and the fact that they were bloody screaming fast. You'll notice that even in the movies, one hit on a TIE will kill it, while some of the Rebel ships take several hits, even from Vader's TIE. It usually damages the ship rather than outright blowing it up (the heavy armor and shields DO come in handy some times), but they were so fast that they were really, really hard to hit. I mean, Luke and Han had trouble keeping off four.

So yes, I agree with you, Morningstar.
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

Student of the Force

yes indeed, Ties are waay awesome fighters, hence the rebellion's need to build the A-wing to counter them. the original x-wings held their own, but were outclassed in the speed and dodginess departments.

Experienced Player

Good points above and remember, Han was right, it was essentially a suicide mission. They were outnumbered potentially 1000's to one if the Empire wanted it and needed to make that run. They pointed their noses down the appropriate trench and went for it.
    ash nazg durbatuluk
    -- some guy

You think you're all that... But you're not
    -- Dr. Drakken

Waiting in line at the academy to become a fighter pilot

it definately has to be the skill of the pilots, and knowing their machine. plus timeframes.
    Life throws punches... but I'm not a punching bag so I throw them back.

Student of the Force

I must disagree...there has grown a whole mythic fallacy surrounding Tie pilots and their supposed ineptitude. Let us remember that they are all clones of dear old Jango, and he seems to have been a capable pilot (he gave ObiWan a bloody good run for his money in Ep2).
    And if the rebels pilots were as 'good' as has been claimed, why, oh why, did they not have a backup flight to cover the boys makin the torpedo run??! Why did they just fly in with no cover, pedal to the metal, and hope they could hit their target in time?
    So, as far as piloting is concerned, I'd say it's nearly a dead heat; for ships, also a dead heat, with x and ties' various advantages balancing out their disadvantages. Thus, i'd venture to guess that the x's 'won' because they had a specific target, and Luke nailed it. (oh, and because it's possible the imperials only sent out an equivalent number of Ties - there didn't seem to be an overwhelming number of ties flitting around, as we see in Return of the Jedi)

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

Since when did TIE pilots get to be clones of Jango?

I suppose that some of the earlier TIE pilots might still have been Jango clones (as the ARC-170 and presumably V-wing pilots were) but by the time of EPIV I'd guess that, like stormtroopers, most were natural-born humans.
    Just IMO

As for the question at hand, I'd say, as Ubiq said in his first post, that the rebels were heavily outnumbered and had to hit their main objective as quickly as possible. They didn't have enough numbers or time to whittle down the defending fighters...or even to cover their own bombers particularly well.

Experienced Player

Yeah, by EPIV most of the storm troopers were normal humans, and TIE pilots were well trained at places like Carida Academy. The problem was TIE pilots had terrible survivability because, like their ships, they were cheap to mass produce apperently so TIE pilots that survived were ususally very good. You can't just chalk it up too a difference in skill, since a lot of the rebellion's best pilots were former Imp pilots, like Tycho Celchu, Hobbie Klivian, Biggs Darklighter, Jake Farrell and Kasan Moor.

I think the real difference has to do with the ships themselves. X-Wings are a good deal more costly than TIEs because they consume greater amounts of fuel compaired to TIEs (since TIEs get some of their power from solar panels and are generally much shorter range fighters because of the lack of hyperdrive. Of course, this price difference means that X-Wings get to have shields, 4 laser cannons to the TIEs two and proton torps. TIEs have the advantage of greater speed and maneuverability over X-Wings, with atmospheric speeds of 1,200 km/h and 1,050 km/h respectively, although in atmosphere TIEs have huge yaw problems because of those big solar panels and the extreme turns the TIEs are known for in space can destroy the craft.

As proved by the real world Me 262, greater speed doesn't always win in a dog fight. Also, an interesting note from Wookieepedia: Although Expanded Universe material and also a speed chart used by the film crew of RotJ sets the speed of the TIE fighter to equal that of an X-wing, in ANH they are shown overtaking X-wings despite the latter "going in full throttle".

As too acuracy and all that, ususally the TIEs outnumbered X-Wings, even at the battle of Yavin (I know, we don't get too see more than Vader's personal squadron, but Wedge got 6 TIE kills so there had to be more than just those) and firing into an area where there are more unshielded allies than shielded enemies means you'd have to take extra care. To use the SWRPG stats, it's a -4 to attack rolls, I believe. Also at Yavin, when Vader took out those X-Wings, if I remember correctly, they had their shields double front (might have evened them out before that, I don't remember off the top of my head) making it easier to kill them.
    Last edited by Banditrests; 12 June 2007 at 10:08 PM.
    A pilot, in those days, was the only unfettered and entirely independent human being that lived in the earth.
    - Mark Twain

http://www.d20forge.com/

Yes, they were evened out by that time.

"The guns, they's stopped..."
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

Experienced Player

That's right, I remember now. I suppose then that the difference between that and normal X-Wing vs TIE duals is that Vader was in a TIE Advanced x1 (or Bright), which uses SFS L-s4 laser cannons rather than the normal L-s1s on a TIE Fighter, the Bright's advanced tracking system and the fact that it was flown by freaking Darth Vader.
    A pilot, in those days, was the only unfettered and entirely independent human being that lived in the earth.
    - Mark Twain

http://www.d20forge.com/

Student of the Force

let's not confuse canonical info with speculative info - as far as the films are concerned, stormtroops et al are still jango clones.

It seems to me, to use modernity as an example, we have a case of f-14's (xwings) versus f-18's (ties). Which is better? Who can say? they fulfill their respective roles.

Major League Infidel

It seems to me, to use modernity as an example, we have a case of f-14's (xwings) versus f-18's (ties). Which is better? Who can say? they fulfill their respective roles.
    Might want to rethink the aircraft in the comparison there as that's actually a bad comparison .

In one fell swoop you have made the X-wing such a cost ineffective maintenance hog that it gets replaced by the more cost effective and comparable performance Tie series.
    losing faith in humanity one assclown at a time..

Thread Information