Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the stuff come from?

Default Where did all the stuff come from?

Ok, the rebellion come into existence at the end of ROTS, this I get, what I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY dont get is where did the alliance get all of its sundry, miscellaneous items?

Firstly, Uniforms, without something as technoid as Replicators someone actually had to go out and commission (or make for themselves) uniforms. So what did the alliance send out Simplicity patterns to all the rebel bases and said "this is what you are going for". Rebel Flight Suits, someone had to notice that all the UGMO orange material was being bought up.
    Rank Insignia, who machined all that junk?

Who designed the Rebelion Insignia in universe? The Dress Uniforms in ANH? Those Medals?

Someone had to do it, and its just been bugging me.
    From shooting through a TIE Interecteptor viewport with a blaster pistol to setting up a pair of ewoks with a heavy repeating blaster, I aim to please.

Want Conversions of your favorite Sci-Fi ships into SWRPG? PM me, the offer is open.

I prefer my drama on the H'net, not RL, thanks. -Vanger Chevane

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

You've gotta keep in mind two things:

First, there's been twenty years of organization and development going on in the Resistance from the end of RotS and the beginning of ANH, this allows for several major events to both give the movement legitimacy and for certain standards to apply to groups of rebels.

Second, what you see in ANH is NOT the entire Rebel Alliance. The rebel soldiers on the Tantive IV were ship-based security, most likely common to Alderaanian VIPs and their ships. And while we see some of the same on Yavin later, it would stand to reason that the Alderaanian princess would have some of these nearby.

Even if they're not Alderaanian, the standards in dress would likely be specific to a particular faction or region within the Alliance. While the Rebels we see wear the orange flight suits and the unique security uniforms, that doesn't mean that the Chandrillan rebels wear the same. But hey, if they do, keep in mind that the Resistance has friends in high places, and they have had 20 years in which to organize.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

The Conspicuously Custom Custom Title of the Local Pariah

I think of it this way: big money that's been around for Seppie funding has suddenly been channeled by few of those who continued the fight into Reb gold hoards. And those senatorial creds and what not.

Hardcore Player
    That One Place (You know, where that one guy did that one thing)

Well most of the uniforms are Alderaanian in orgin. Plus many rich guys and whole planets support the Rebellion in money and also supplies.

The symbol came as a rallying point much like Betsy Ross's famous flag. Did ol' Georgie really need a new flag to send flying everywhere. Not really. But he did it for moral. Same thing as the Rebellion's Bird.

Most of the extra uniforms and stuff was surplus from the clone wars or security forces of various planets. Watch the "Standing By" scene in RotJ. The many squadrons have a whole boatload of diffrent style flight suits. The Mon Cals have their own stuff from their own defense force. The Alderaanians had the same thing.
    "Two Irishmen walk out of a bar. It could happen!"~Walter Cronkite

"SURGEON-GENERAL'S WARNING: Under no circumstances should you consume alchohol and play an RPG game using Wizards of the Coast d20 system at the same time. Failure to abide by this warning will most likely result in moderate injuries, property damage, brain damage, hurt feelings, lost dice, mutilated books, and very annoyed GM's."~Smuggler Jedi

See my games HERE

Experienced Player

I know it's been mentioned in the books (The Krytos Trap, I think) that a lot of the rebel flight suits and gear is second hand or bought on the cheap from sympathizers or somesuch, which is why a lot of the suits and helmets don't match (like in RotJ's Battle of Endor, a lot of the pilots are wearing green instead of "red" [read as bright orange]). It came up because they created a Rogue Squadron uniform in honor of Corran Horn's death, and there's some discussion about why they didn't have one before.
    A pilot, in those days, was the only unfettered and entirely independent human being that lived in the earth.
    - Mark Twain

http://www.d20forge.com/

Jedi Princess

I just bought one of the new SW action figures, the Rebel Honor Guard, since my husband & I are costumers & it gets so little screen time. On the back of hte package was this blurb:
    A constant scarcity of materials means that many Alliance officers lack dress uniforms. However, a few of the survivors of Alderaan--a planet once rich in ceremony--have retained theirs. It is these survivors who serve as honor guard to Luke, Han and Chewbacca in thanks for their efforts in destroying the Death Star over Yavin.
    Since this presumably went through LFL approvals, I think it might be useful.

Not a Cylon

I would lean with the others towards Rebellion gear being mostly surplus from somewhere else. Related groups (like Team Yavin) would have similar-looking gear and outfits because Steve in Requisitions got a great deal on 5 dozen orange flight suits, so that's what everyone's wearing until they wear out.
    "Nice scene. But you're right. A bazooka doesn't do the same thing as a dumpster." -Neal Stephenson

Student of the Force

cool find, Ris!

What's the date of manufacture for the action figure?
    (Ooh, and which guys are the 'honour guard' - what do they look like?)

thnx in advance!

Jedi Princess

The Rebel Honor Guard is one of the 2007 30th Anniversary figures, with the commemorative "coin." The honor guards are seen in the back of the dais in the Ceremony scene at the end of Ep. IV. They are in grey-green uniforms & carry the tall, straight pikes. They also wear the same helmets as the Rebel Fleet Troopers on the Tantive IV, except that the black visor piece is lowered.
    Last edited by Ris; 27 July 2007 at 05:43 PM.

Blog Entries

chiefcaptain is quite right: bear in mind that with the creation of the Empire, a lot of big local Defense Forces became extinct as the Imperial Navy took over sector defense and everything.
    Suddenly, Kuat and Rendilli really don't need all those flight suits and uniform caps, or those blaster rifles and armored recovery vehicles. What do they do? They sell that crap as surplus, to mercenaries, wannabes, Outer Rim local militias, misguided counter-culture youths and secretly Rebel sympathizing folks. All Steve from Requisitions needs is a clean credit card and a P.O. Box to take delivery (though he probably needs to rotate usage so as not to attract Imperial attention).
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    Check out Run to the Rim (NEW! Updated 1/24/08!)
    and
    Old Friends, New Republic (Updated 12/27/07)

Student of the Force

thanx again, Ris!

(I should've known a rebel costumer would gimme the goods on the honour guard - thanx a bunch!!)

and, back to topic, it seems chiefcaptin and rostek are correctumundo!

Commanding Officer of the Indomitable

Originally posted by Rostek
    chiefcaptain is quite right: bear in mind that with the creation of the Empire, a lot of big local Defense Forces became extinct as the Imperial Navy took over sector defense and everything.
    Suddenly, Kuat and Rendilli really don't need all those flight suits and uniform caps, or those blaster rifles and armored recovery vehicles. What do they do? They sell that crap as surplus, to mercenaries, wannabes, Outer Rim local militias, misguided counter-culture youths and secretly Rebel sympathizing folks. All Steve from Requisitions needs is a clean credit card and a P.O. Box to take delivery (though he probably needs to rotate usage so as not to attract Imperial attention).
    Lol, hilarious but perfect point there Rostek. Thank you for making me laugh today as well as learn something.

Cj49
    "You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."
    ―George Lucas

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook

experienced groundpounder

well my only question was, didn't the Empire bother to scope out what was being sold at "Galactic Military Surplus Stores"? I mean, FBI, CID and other Military and Federal agencies monitor what is in our surplus stores. Shoot they even check pawn shops and gun stores to make sure military hardware didn't find it's way there.

But then again, there was the Imperial mentality that they were unstoppable too.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Student of the Force

Well, there's nothing to say the imps didn't monitor such things...ever hear of the ATF and Waco? I'm sure the Empire got Waco'ed by the rebellion a few times.

Major League Infidel

Theres just no way in hell the Empire can track everything.
    all it takes is a ship to go "missing" from one of the sympathetic planets and listed as destroyed in hyperspace accident or what not.
    Alderaan had the Another Chance a warship converted to an armory ship that the empire knew nothing about.
    There is also salavage yards the aliance can get materials from.
    there are whole systems and planets relegated to salvage.
    Then you have the numorous NESDFs (Nonessential Equipment Storage and Disposal Facility) that cover many square miles loaded with all sorts of old equipment NESDF-456 on Sirpar was 16 square kilometers loaded with old ,TIEs, walkers, armored vehicles, repulsorlifts, droids and so on.
    the "Your in the Army now"adventured centered on that facility were the group goes in to get spare parts.

There is a great many places the Alliance got their gear from and the Empire just cannot cover them all.
    losing faith in humanity one assclown at a time..

Thread Information