Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renegade Clones?

Experienced Player
    Commanding the Iron Braclet, A Victory II Class Star Destroyer

Default Renegade Clones?

Ok, I was watching Ep II and III a couple of nights ago, and it just clicked with me. During one of the flight scenes, you see a clone pilot (I think it was the LAAT pilot in EP II) on one side of his head, you see the symbol that will be the Imperial symbol (no big, just obvious forshadowing right?) But on the other side of his helmet, you see the rebel symbol. So, do we have a renegade unit of clones who start the rebellion, or did the rebs just see the symbol somewhere and think it was cool. Personally, I can't wait to run a campaign about the rogue unit of clones who started the rebellion. HMMM... maybe Codry's unit?
    "Show me one Officer who has said that he actually likes beuracrats and I'll show you a brown nosing %^$&." Alis Morningstar, on the realization that not only did the Empire still have Dreadnaughts, but that he was being assigned to one.

Well, the "symbol that will be the Imperial symbol" you reference is actually the symbol of the Galactic Republic, which is entirely appropriate for a Clonetrooper pilot serving the Galactic Republic.

But if he also has the Alliance "Redbird"... well, that's mighty interesting, and I'd call that foreshadowing (or at least a cool little nod or "easter egg"). The intent may be to suggest that that icon is existed prior to its adoption by the Alliance to Restore the Republic.

I'd really like to see it-- can you give an approximate scene and/or time reference?

(As an off-topic aside... I'm typing this sitting on my front porch on a cool Summer evening, listening to a baseball game... the occasional car going by, the random dog-walker passing, and the the normal background noise of crickets chirping and kids playing... and somewhere, among the chatter, the faint sounds of Star Wars movie music-- I think it's from Ep VI... one of my neighbors is apparently getting his/her "Saga" on... )
    "Half the fun of God's forgiveness is having reasons to ask for it."

Experienced Player

Huh, I'll have to rewatch Ep. II and keep an eye out for that.

Renegade Clones? That would be a pretty cool campaign. Sounds more like Ion Team or the clone Anti-Troopers than Cody's unit, after all, Cody tried pretty hard to kill Obi Wan ("Would it have been too much to ask for the order to have come through before I gave him back the bloody lightsaber?")
    A pilot, in those days, was the only unfettered and entirely independent human being that lived in the earth.
    - Mark Twain

http://www.d20forge.com/

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

My understanding was that the "Redbird" was a symbol chosen by the Alliance from among the symbols used by the Republic, as a way of declaring themselves the legitimate successors to the Republic. I don't have any proof of that, nor any sources, but that's what I've heard.

Student of the Force

i believe that's referenced in the old Rebel Sourcebook, fyi

(though 'redbird' is new to me, as far as i can recall...)

how exactly would clones break away from the empire? weren't they brainwashed?
    use the force!

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

Spent so much time trying to research the symbol that I forgot to address the renegade clones!

Here's the thing - yeah, there's brainwashing, yeah, there's training, but in the end, there's always free will. What if a clone, upon receiving Order 66, looked his general in they eye and realized, "Wait a minute... this is just wrong!"? Or if, even after executing the Jedi, a clone experienced haunting remorse? They're people, after all - that's what makes them superior to droids. Unfortunately, that means you have to deal with pesky human emotions, and no matter what sort of training or brainwashing you put somebody through, there's never any way to bend a person completely to your will.

Jedi_Shadow, in our last campaign, played a retired ARC Trooper with just such a story. While that campaign focused on just one individual and how he was able to cover up what he had done (or hadn't done), it'd be really interesting, too, to see what would happen if an entire unit decided to go renegade at some point. Perhaps they'd go off and join the Alliance. I'd like to hear more about it.

Devotee of the Sith

Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
    Here's the thing - yeah, there's brainwashing, yeah, there's training, but in the end, there's always free will. What if a clone, upon receiving Order 66, looked his general in they eye and realized, "Wait a minute... this is just wrong!"?
    Which is very similar to the situation the Clone Troopers of Ion Team faced on Murkhana when receiving the details concering Order 66 in Dark Lord -- pgs. 24-25, 30-31 [of the hardcover].
    "Once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace." -- Darth Sidious (Episode III - Revenge of the Sith)

"The Jedi who fall are the most dangerous of all." -- A line from a children's rhyme (Tales of the Jedi Companion)

"Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it." -- Darth Bane (Path of Destruction)

Working on:- Secrets of Korriban Sourcebook

Commanding Officer of the Indomitable

Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
    Spent so much time trying to research the symbol that I forgot to address the renegade clones!

Here's the thing - yeah, there's brainwashing, yeah, there's training, but in the end, there's always free will. What if a clone, upon receiving Order 66, looked his general in they eye and realized, "Wait a minute... this is just wrong!"? Or if, even after executing the Jedi, a clone experienced haunting remorse? They're people, after all - that's what makes them superior to droids. Unfortunately, that means you have to deal with pesky human emotions, and no matter what sort of training or brainwashing you put somebody through, there's never any way to bend a person completely to your will.

Jedi_Shadow, in our last campaign, played a retired ARC Trooper with just such a story. While that campaign focused on just one individual and how he was able to cover up what he had done (or hadn't done), it'd be really interesting, too, to see what would happen if an entire unit decided to go renegade at some point. Perhaps they'd go off and join the Alliance. I'd like to hear more about it.
    As the clone commando's of Iion Team did in Dark Lord book. Instead of following through order 66, they decided they wanted ot talk things through and figure out why Order 66 was being done. The general feeling I got from the book was that most of the clones accepted the order with little to no outward doubt. But the Clone Commando's, ARC Troopers or even ARC Commanders, they all have independence that the Kamino's tried to suppress.

And then you have the society factor. When people who live in a box all their life, with set beliefs, are set loose into the wider world, eventually they change to adapt to their new surroundings. It is entirely possible that some clones began to garner independence because a particular Jedi rewarded that. Thus they condition themselves to be independent minded.

Or, you could have the possibility of a clone showing remorse for Order 66. Just because they followed the Order does not mena that they do not regret it later. The guilt could build to the point where they become dis-illusioned with the empire and go rogue to fight against what they perceive as the true threat to the Republic.

But I ramble, but here are my thoughts about a rogue clone campaign.

Kal
    "You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."
    ―George Lucas

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook

Clones weren't brainwashed, rather they were genetically modified to follow the orders of their superiors. Unlike their template Jango, they were engineered to be more docile, as Fett was rather prone to do what he pleased instead of following orders. But this did not erase free will from the clones.

The military culture revolves around discipline and following orders without question. Since the clones were modified, this tendency was reinforced, and their culture was entirely military in nature. However, orders can conflict with a person's moral views, even a highly-disciplined soldier. Given enough time and experience, even the lowliest clone trooper could develop his own moral code and value system. While the vast majority of clones would simply follow orders and do what they are told to do, there is nothing that would prevent a clone with sufficient experience to question that which he feels violates his values and morals.

The most likely candidates for clones going 'rogue' would be the Clone Commandos, who operate more or less indepently from the rest of the Grand Army. ARCs are already pretty much indepenent already, having received little modification to their behaviors. Regular troopers who worked closely with Commandos and ARCs might also fall into this category. Of course, we're probably talking less than 1% of the entire Republic army here. Most are content to follow orders and get on with the business at hand.
    Johnny's fanfic links:
    Star Wars: Tales of the Cuy'val Dar - Old Soldiers Never Die
    ----------
    "It was my destiny to be here, in the box."
    - Naked Snake

Experienced Player

Some interesting notes: The wookieepedia page on the Alliance Starbird http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alliance_Starbird which is apperently very old and a very interesting note on the page of Alpha-66 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha-66 about ARC troopers after the Clone Wars ended, and some of them apperently joining the rebels.
    A pilot, in those days, was the only unfettered and entirely independent human being that lived in the earth.
    - Mark Twain

http://www.d20forge.com/

Student of the Force

thank you banditrests for the infolink on the starbird!

And i'm not so sure, getting back on topic, that anyone cloned from the jedi-killer Jango Fett would have much compassion for Jedi, or indeed anyone in a position of weakness...

In the book for ep III - it makes a point of saying that despite their origin - the clones were ultimately human. So renegade clones are no that far fetched.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun"
    - Ash

Student of the Force

good point (and wicked quote! klaatu, barada, necktie, brother!)

Experienced Player

...some diffrent ideas:

1.) A clone trooper is injured, after his reconvalescent,he lost his Order 66 affilation.

2.) Order 66 is a genetically implant, so that is if some has forget to build it in?
    (The
    3.) All clone a human or maybe near human, so some psychotic problems may come true...
    (im Zeta45993458 and my dad is the clan-chief of all EWOKS)

...other ideas?
    Short ways a better than no ways....
    Santa Claws is coming to You

Free Mandalore
    Get your Bassilisk and figth

Thread Information