Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Senators during the rebellion.

Skilled Player

Question Senators during the rebellion.

If the empire was a dictatorship, what became of senators like bail organa and mon mothma. What roll did they play in day to day politics (not with the rebels) and were many like them exicuted?
    the best CarmirAxen (aka Calamarisoldier) quotes:
    "Huh, they do vomit blood after you shoot them there!"
    (At Imperial checkpoint) <cough> facist <cough>
    We have to get off this ******* rock.
    (while hiding from imperials) What, you think the rebelion will ever come to yavin four?
    I know some one dies every time I say this but, trust me.

Do a search on Wookiepedia for the terms:
    Imperial Senate
    Imperial Senators
    and you'll find out a fair bit.
    Check the entries for Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Pooja Naberie (IIRC she followed in Padme's footsteps as Naboo's senator), Garm Bel Iblis etc and you'll find useful links.

Keep in mind that the Empire wasn't strictly a dictatorship until the senate's dissolution (during Ep4)...from the formation of the Empire up until Alderaan's destruction the Imperial Senate was still a political body...
    albeit one with steadily less and less power I'd say that by the time of Ep4 it was probably just a collection of figureheads. From Tarkin's comment about "regional governors" it seems the Empire had set up bureaucracy in place ready for the end of the senate.
    And you can bet most of those governors are humans, and probably grew up fed on COMPNOR...

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

Technically, Pooja Naberrie followed in the illustrious footsteps of Jar Jar Binks as senator from Naboo - but it's interesting to note there that the Imperial Senate was full of dupes like Jar Jar. There were a lot of corrupt senators in the Republic, and most of them supported Empire, since it was a way for them to increase their power and standing. I'm interested in what might have happened to the senators after Palpatine dissolved the Senate in 0 ABY, though...

Experienced Player
    Commanding the Iron Braclet, A Victory II Class Star Destroyer

The Imperial Senate was a very thinly veiled refrence to the Roman Senate IMO, especailly during their more waning periods.... like the rule of Agustus and Cladius. They ran the day to day business of the Empire, but had no real control other than how may candels were ordered for the Senate.
    "Show me one Officer who has said that he actually likes beuracrats and I'll show you a brown nosing %^$&." Alis Morningstar, on the realization that not only did the Empire still have Dreadnaughts, but that he was being assigned to one.

Student of the Force

just a guess, but those that didn't fight the corruption via the Alliance probly indulged in the corruption and set themselves up as petty tyrants in their own territories (under their governor's watchful eyes, of course). Or served as Palpatine's advisors, or in various other 'flunkie' positions. Perhaps they would have taken up a more active role in various moneymaking schemes such as corporate control or organized crime. (remember passel argente from the prequel confederacy?) Or they may have retreated to some private moon and simply wallowed in the excesses to which they had become accustomed. Any other thoughts?

For one there really wasn't a "Rebellion" until around 0ABY, senators still had a modicum of power and the planetary governors and Moffs hadn't been put into power everywhere. I ran a few games in this era and I decided that immediately after the Clone Wars the Emperor placed region governors in charge of systems that were members of the CIS. They were positioned as "temporary" governors while those systems rebuilt. Like the Emperor's emergency powers however these governors were made permenant rulers of these regions and the model was slowly spread through the galaxy. Individual senators would often cede their voting positions to the Moffs so they could go join a committee to get some perk for the system(s) they represented. Eventually the Moffs had a majority of the power in the Outer Rim and the only true senators left were from the Core and even they had region governors to contend with. I used that as a pretext for the original Alliance charter, since it was meant to restore the Republic.

Senators not directly involved in the early formation of the Alliance were propably securing their positions of power in their home systems or looting the galactic treasury in some fashion. Either would have been of use to Palpatine in the first few years of the Empire. As long as the military got its funding he likely wouldn't care about individual senators running amuck. Every one of them seeing to their own business was one less looking over his shoulder. The clone wars left much of the galaxy in disarray so it's likely that even uncorrupt senators were focused mainly on issues at home rather than galactic ones. Since Palpatine had his overarching emergency powers the senators only needed to rubber stamp policies of the New Order (and doing so made them look effectual to the public).

Originally posted by S-Foil
    For one there really wasn't a "Rebellion" until around 0ABY, senators...
    Interesting. I was reading through these latest threads from the past 30 days and stubbled across this comment.

The main reason I was here was because I've been fishing for the answer to: When does the Rebellion Era begin?

I was going to just start a new thread bt since S-Foil made this comment, I just figured I'd hijack this thread for the moment.

Personally, I disagree that the Rebellion didn't begin until 0ABY. You can see glimpses of it's fruition within Revenge of the Sith between Padme, Mon Mothma, and Bail Organa. And the novels and earlier RPG works, have long including Garm Bel Iblis of Corellia into the mix as well, stating his seperation from the "triune" of Organa/Mothma/Bel Iblis as a catalyst for the formation of the early, formalized Rebellion (The Alliance to Restore the Republic/Galactic Alliance).

And if you take the book/novel timeline as a point in which the Rebellion Era starts... it's about 10BY with the Han Solo Trilogy.

So, I ask again... When does the Rebellion Era begin?

And to the point on a Senators role within the Empire... I think all the points have been made. Those not enjoying the corruption of Imperial rule were likely the ones helping sow the seeds of Rebellion.

I would say the Rebellion Era begins at 0 ABY with the Rebellion's first big victory. Of course that's totally arbitrary, though.

Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
    I would say the Rebellion Era begins at 0 ABY with the Rebellion's first big victory. Of course that's totally arbitrary, though.
    Then what would you call all the years of preparation the Rebellion needed to make the Battle of Yavin possible?

And, if Luke hadn't been there - would they have even won? Would there even had been a Rebellion without a victory?

In Crispen's Solo Trilogy book she uses the term "Rebels" to discuss Han's love interest throughout the series.

Well, that's why it's arbitrary. If the "Rebel Era" began in 0 ABY, does that mean there were no Rebels prior to that? No - that's just where we can choose to draw our demarcation line. Anything prior to that, but after the Clone Wars, I'd lump into the "Rise of the Empire" era. But it's all about where historians arbitrarily draw their lines.

Skilled Player

I think the rebellion began as soon as the empire was formed. In dark lord, I talks about protesters against the Empire. Although not united under the redbird, they were all technicly "rebels"
    the best CarmirAxen (aka Calamarisoldier) quotes:
    "Huh, they do vomit blood after you shoot them there!"
    (At Imperial checkpoint) <cough> facist <cough>
    We have to get off this ******* rock.
    (while hiding from imperials) What, you think the rebelion will ever come to yavin four?
    I know some one dies every time I say this but, trust me.

Originally posted by calamarisoldier
    I think the rebellion began as soon as the empire was formed. In dark lord, I talks about protesters against the Empire. Although not united under the redbird, they were all technicly "rebels"
    Right! And the Empire was born out of the Clone Wars... I consider the events leading to and during the Clones Wars as the "Rise of the Empire" Era.

Experienced Player
    Commanding the Iron Braclet, A Victory II Class Star Destroyer

Was Yavin really their first victory? After all, they survived until Yavin, and thats its own kind of victory. Also, the Empire was looking for them in a big way, not a you organized a peaceful protest kinda way. Even a farm kid from a backwoods nowhere knows about the rebellion. I think theres a bit more to the rebellion's beginning than has been stated or thought of.
    "Show me one Officer who has said that he actually likes beuracrats and I'll show you a brown nosing %^$&." Alis Morningstar, on the realization that not only did the Empire still have Dreadnaughts, but that he was being assigned to one.

Moderator: Fan Fiction

If I had to pick a moment when the Rebellion era started, I'd probably pick around 1BBY. It was around that time that the Alliance was really formed out of the resistance groups on Chandrila, Alderaan and Coruscant, and very shortly thereafter the Declaration of Rebellion issued. It's the Declaration that makes the Rebels a household name, as they were very effective in publicising it. Smaller resistance groups and individuals started joining the Alliance after that, with even whole planets defecting to support it. The victory at Yavin just accelerates a process already underway. Victory will do that.

As for Senators at the dissolution of the Senate, I figure some few were rewarded by Palpatine and continued to serve him other ways. A few others may have tried to find ways to resist and/or oppose him - the Senate hadn't been entirely emptied of principled beings, as Bail Organa and Mon Mothma demonstrate. Some of the corrupt sorts may have actually been killed or imprisoned by Palpatine for taking too much, taking the wrong things, or generally just going too far.

And don't forget that there may have been a lot of Senators somewhere between these extremes. There's your 'do nothing' ineffective Senator, or a senator that may have just wanted to retire and forget about it after. Who knows? They weren't all corrupt, they weren't all Palpatine's lackeys, and they weren't all upstanding courageous types out to oppose him either. There's a lot of room to play with there. In the end though, would Palpatine have let any of these people live very long if they weren't serving him? Or would he have engineered their deaths in quiet ways, or framed and imprisoned them? Even out of office, Senators would have enough public profile to pose a threat - even if they just want to retire and forget about the whole thing.

Sky Pilot

The opening of Ep IV says that the Rebels had just won their first victory. So I'd like to know what happened before that. Did they lose all the battles they fought before then? Or fight the Empire to a draw and escape to fight another day? Or maybe that was only the first victory of that particular branch of the Rebellion.
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Thread Information