Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outbound flight:was it the only attempt?

New Player

Default outbound flight:was it the only attempt?

I was wondering if Outbound Flight was the only attempt to leave the galaxy, and if anyone had ever tried playing with the possibility? I think that it may have been the only republic sponsored attempt, Maybe others tried it, and I'll wager that force users would have accompanied the attempt. Palpatine might have tried again, or the early republic could have attempted it. Out bound flight was erased from the records, maybe another was simply kept under wraps, or went off badly? Any ideas? Has anyone toyed with the idea and is it even possible?

Rules Lawyer

I hardly doubt this was the first attempt.

In my view, the people of the Star Wars galaxy have gone out to the local globular cluster galaxies surrounding the main disk. In fact, the AotC makes reference to "the Rishi Maze", and the visual seems to confirm this ...
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

The Men's Prayer - The Red Green Show

I have a Star Wars.com blog. Look for it under Master Dao Rin

Dark Lord, Warriors of Gar

If the Vong can do it I'm sure others can.
    The Nagai & Tofs were originally said to be from another galaxy, although I believe that has since been changed.
    "As Warriors we rule, As Warriors we rule,
    Under the axe of might, there will be Blood Tonight, Blood Tonight!"

- Warriors of Gar Battle Anthem
    Sithspawn's Lair
    Warriors of Gar

Jedi Master, Scholar, and Keeper of the True Light

I haven't heard of anything official besides outbound flight, though I have added two successful such projects to my timeline. One made by a ship full of 40 Jedi and the other by a military vessel from a species I've created.
    "Faith Manages." - Ambassador Delenn
    Potentate of the Rose

Immoderator

Moving this thread to Rumors & Speculation.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

New Player

hey lucas could you post some more info from your campaign? It sounds intruiging, and I'd like to hear more about it. And question sithspawn , what books were the Nagai in?

These two events are not central to my campaign so I don't know much about it. I even misremembered the number of Jedi on the first ship. There were only 20 when they left in response to the Jedi beacon to stay away from Coruscant at the end of the Clone Wars. They were led by Dorn Lorekeeper, who is part Dorgh. Those who traveled with him were human, Cerean, Chev, Miraluka, and Zeltron in origin.

They left through Dorgh space, considering that the safest way to hide their escape from the galaxy. They also left a trail of beacons so that they could keep in contact beyond the rim, where ever they went.

Then in 9 BBY the Empire sent an armada to Dorgh space because of incessant rumors that the Dorgh were hiding superior technology. Rumors brought on by their caution in how others were allowed to enter and travel through their space.

To make sure the trail of beacons wouldn't be discovered, the commander of one of the Dorgh vessels replaced each of the beacons with Dorgh made beacons and left the galaxy on the same trail. This female commander is related to Master Lorekeeper, but of "pure" Dorgh blood.

That's basically all I know about that end of the inter galactic route because I created both of these trips to get the ships, Jedi, Force, and the listed species to the other end of the route.
    Last edited by Lucas Carr; 6 October 2007 at 01:40 PM.
    Potentate of the Rose

Skilled Player

I think it was ant attempt by Palpatine to remove a number of Jedi, including masters, out of the way, under pretense that they were exploring another part of the galaxy. This is in Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn
    Tarynn Gray of the Hapes Consortium

Take away a woman's beauty, you take away her power-Tarynn Gray

Experienced Player

i would have to suspect it to not be the only attempt in 25000 years...somebody had to want to go a little further
    He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. -Friedrich Nietzsche

Skilled Player

Maybe in the past 25,000 years, people were busy exploring the rest of the galaxy
    Tarynn Gray of the Hapes Consortium

Take away a woman's beauty, you take away her power-Tarynn Gray

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

Busy exploring their own galaxy, and yet there's this massive swath of "unknown regions." The one thing I never understood about Outbound Flight was that they were sending people outside the galaxy when they still hadn't finished exploring their own. Anyone want to make that make some sense?

Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
    Busy exploring their own galaxy, and yet there's this massive swath of "unknown regions." The one thing I never understood about Outbound Flight was that they were sending people outside the galaxy when they still hadn't finished exploring their own. Anyone want to make that make some sense?
    With everything we still have to learn about this world of ours, we've been out in space for decades.

Or why study medicine when we haven't figured out math yet?

Or in other words. It is there. So why limit ourselves?
    Potentate of the Rose

Veteran Player

I can understand where "Ubiqtorate" is coming from. Why waste time and effort to understand/expolore regions outside our own galaxy when we dont even know all there is to about our own..
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Originally posted by wolverine
    I can understand where "Ubiqtorate" is coming from. Why waste time and effort to understand/expolore regions outside our own galaxy when we dont even know all there is to about our own..
    I don't see it as a waste of time. It is the same as us saying we're not going to use our telescopes to look at anything beyond our own solar system until we know all there is to know about it.

Knowing everything about our solar system is surely lifetimes and generations away, and even if it's not the Star Wars galaxy would be. So why wait?
    Potentate of the Rose

Irish fanatic

And of course, as mentioned earlier, the real reason for Outbound Flight was to rid Palpatine of several pesky Jedi masters, C'Baoth in particular.
    "Don't be shocked that people die; be surprised you're still alive."
    --Flyleaf, "Cassie (acoustic)"
    Djesersekhmet in Lucas Carr's Dawn of Defiance.
    Visit DAZ3D for all your digital art needs!

Thread Information